Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure
(11-21-2018, 04:27 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(11-21-2018, 04:55 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: I do understand there are multiple motivations.  Some will support movements like Me Too to end the abuse of women which has gone on for years and is almost traditional.  Some are out for power, and are using the movement to hurt Trump, Kavanaugh and other specific red people.  In the process, if some of them end up under the bus, that is the cost of doing business.  The red are certainly not the sole abusers.  Then there are 'all men are created equal' folk who support multiple minorities seeking to fight the prejudices of the white males.

And this is par for the course, the way the elites exploit exploitation, how values change to become more inclusive.  The elites want to hurt someone, so they get behind what suddenly is unacceptable.

I don't know about reddish progressives.  (Oxymoron?)   I am more used to among the reddish, the KKK, the votes stolen by the Republican Southern Strategy, the so called deplorables.  The Agricultural Age was one of class and privilege, and some of it lingers, and this is what it is all about, preserving or rejecting white male Protestant class and privilege.  This doesn't mean there are not honorable Reds.  There certainly are.  I am just not used to thinking of them as numerous or dominant.  There is nothing wrong with small government and self reliance.  Population density certainly effects how to best provide necessary services, and how obvious problems are where a person lives.  

There is something wrong with ignoring real problems, prejudice and being selfish.  Unravellings should come as part of the cycles, but should not last forever.  The Reagan unravelling values have run their time.
Bob, if you were able to stop clinging to your interpretation/understanding of Strauss and Howe's theory and quit assuming the outcome will be the same as it was in the past 4T and quit ignoring the advancements we have made since then and the lessons we have learned since then. The Reagan values have taken hold and are staying for good. The progressive values of old are being or have largely rejected and the progressives aren't responding well to its rejection these days. In my opinion, the Obama election represented it's last dying gasp. How many blue voters believed they hit the jack pot? How many American voters found out they didn't matter as much to the blues? How many voted to save their home that was being foreclosed and ended up losing it? How many American voters voted for jobs and ended up being jobless for years or forced to work a few jobs to make up for the job loss? You better get familiar with them because that's who is going to be showing up in large numbers to support Trump and advance the continuation of his policies who are more likely to vote Republican than they were a decade ago. The small blue wave turned purple like I said it would be not so along ago.

Somehow the values projected by the charming actor who was able to deceive so many, became entrenched especially among conservative individualist Gen Xers and also many Boomers and Silents. It was a temporary fluke, but now those such as Classic Xer who became wedded to those free-market self reliance values feel they are entitled to power in this country and are able to mobilize a reaction to any change such as that led by Gingrich in 1994 and the Tea Party in 2010. Conservatives hope for an end to progress to preserve their privileges, and thus oppose or hate "progressives." But progress is probably embedded in the human spirit and DNA and cannot be blocked forever. "Progressive values of old" is an oxymoron; progressive values are always advanced compared to regressive ones; no matter how far back the former might reach, the regressive values go back further. Being stuck on the ideology of the charming actor is an anomaly that won't last. The precedent of past 4Ts always featuring a conflict between progress and regression with progress winning may not be stopped either. Progress has made a recovery in the House and in some statehouses in this midterm, but that is hardly grounds for declaring a progressive victory yet. 

Astrology, astutely practiced, can be a source of revealing predictions of what can happen, and I have a good track record here and elsewhere as a prophet. For 4 decades, I have predicted the 2020s would be a progressive decade based on the cyclic patterns, so I won't change it now despite reversals in Florida and some red states in this midterm. People can't be deceived forever that Republican policies that protect the interests of the bosses instead of the workers create more jobs for the workers, or that Republican policies that encourage financial gambling with mortgages by the rich bankers will keep middle class people in their homes.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure - by Eric the Green - 11-21-2018, 07:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House passes bill to expand background checks for gun sales HealthyDebate 49 7,171 11-22-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Hawaii bill would allow gun seizure after hospitalization nebraska 23 11,710 06-08-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Young Americans have rapidly turned against gun control, poll finds Einzige 5 2,154 04-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  2022 elections: House, Senate, State governorships pbrower2a 13 3,879 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM
  Kyrsten Synema (D - Az) brings a cake into the Senate to downvote min. wage hike Einzige 104 27,327 04-22-2021, 03:21 AM
  Hawaii Senate approves nation’s highest income tax rate HealthyDebate 0 772 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  House of Delegates Passes Sweeping Gun-Control Bill stillretired 6 1,930 03-10-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Kate1999
  Biden faces bipartisan backlash over Syria bombing Kate1999 0 715 03-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Kate1999
  U.S. House set to vote on bills to expand gun background checks Adar 0 750 03-08-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Adar
  Senate passes bill to ban foreigner home purchases newvoter 2 1,092 02-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Last Post: newvoter