Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure
(12-06-2018, 01:33 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: That is argument to authority*, and Tucker Carlson is a very suspect authority. Know well: you cannot know what "Orwellian" means unless you have read Nineteen Eighty-Four, or at least watched one of the movies derived from it. Then, and only then, can you know.

You have been debating me, so you surely think that I have some interesting ideas. Or do I remind you of someone that you may wish that you had paid more attention to in the past, like a high-school teacher? I can suggest plenty of other uses for your time -- like listening to a great work of classical music or visiting an art gallery. Or perhaps volunteering in a food pantry.

Before you assume intellectual credibility for not being a liberal -- we liberals are generally better educated, and we prefer rational thought to superstition and bigotry. Have you ever heard her speak when she was Speaker of the House from 2007 to 2010? She is about as chilly a rationalist as you will ever met.

*Argument to authority implies either accepting someone completely devoid of intellectual credibility (as in, "I heard this from some drunk in an airport bar while I had a four-hour layover at Chicago O'Hare Airport"), when one accepts an authority on a matter settled later with further evidence (example: using Darwin to explain that gaps exist in his theory of evolution that he explains as principles when such gaps have been explained with the fossil record and with genetics), or when one accepts as authority someone outside of his area of expertise. I would not have debated Noam Chomsky on linguistics, William Shockley on electronics, or Albert Einstein on physics, but they have no more authority on politics than I have.

And, yes, I would not expect Nancy Pelosi to involve herself in debates on quantum physics.
You think we've been debating? I haven't been debating with you. Have you been debating with me? Honestly, I don't view your ideas or your views as being all that interesting, all that educated, all that moving or as being all that accurate either. Right now, you're an older white guy like me. You're an older white who supposedly/ automatically represents white privilege like me. Voting Democratic doesn't change who you're viewed as based on you're physical characteristics and you're visual appearance. The man haters and the white man/ white people haters and the white privilege haters probably don't know how to tell the difference between the two of us and probably aren't that interested in separating us based on our beliefs. I'm not going to bow down to any of them or change my views of them or positions to save you or any ither white liberal. I mean, I  pretty much can't stand any of them now and hating them isn't going to require much of an adjustment. Now, I'm not sure what it's going to be like when the liberal white males find themselves trapped/ positioned between the hatred that has been growing on the left and the indifference that has become much more common on the American right. I hear about all the hatred that supposedly exists on the American right these days. I hear liberals talking about how bad the white supremacist groups are and the bad stuff that members of those groups have done and so forth. However, I do actually hear and see the amount of hatred and the obvious signs and activities associated with hatred that exists on the left these days.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure - by Classic-Xer - 12-07-2018, 08:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,(Whatsapp:.......: +1 (551) 239-2904) Visas huunnjh655 0 139 03-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: huunnjh655
  Buy Real and Fake Passports, ID Cards, Driving Licenses, SSN, Birth Certificates, Dea dominicadomi 0 41 02-22-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: dominicadomi
  House passes bill to expand background checks for gun sales HealthyDebate 49 7,149 11-22-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Hawaii bill would allow gun seizure after hospitalization nebraska 23 11,681 06-08-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Young Americans have rapidly turned against gun control, poll finds Einzige 5 2,133 04-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  2022 elections: House, Senate, State governorships pbrower2a 13 3,851 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM
  Kyrsten Synema (D - Az) brings a cake into the Senate to downvote min. wage hike Einzige 104 26,928 04-22-2021, 03:21 AM
  Hawaii Senate approves nation’s highest income tax rate HealthyDebate 0 766 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  House of Delegates Passes Sweeping Gun-Control Bill stillretired 6 1,925 03-10-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Kate1999
  Biden faces bipartisan backlash over Syria bombing Kate1999 0 710 03-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Kate1999