Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure
(12-11-2018, 02:21 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 11:56 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: The blue humorists are holding up the red side in ridicule. It can be a sign of exercizing superiority over one's opponent, or fearlessness in its face. But, for sure, if the red side didn't present so many opportunities for ridicule, which you must admit must be some kind of an all-time record, then they would be happy to ridicule the blues just as they always have gone after both sides. And they continue to do so (witness Bill Maher's ridicule of blues who interrupt Republicans while they are eating dinner, as well as his ridicule of political correctness). That of course is not teaching stereotyping, but just holding up the red behavior to the light of truth and exaggerating it for humorous effect. The essential element that makes us laugh is surprise. A good political humorist like Colbert or Meyers will say something about the powers-that-be that is true, but is a bit more than we expect him to say. And without them, the blue side would have almost no representation in the public sphere today. So they are performing a HUGE service. Speaking truth to power is invaluable under a regime which could soon be imposing a dictatorship upon us. And since I enjoy them so much, you can be sure I will counter your statements about them.

Sorry we continue to disagree again, but we usually don't resolve our differences of opinion; nor do you nor I nor anyone else today resolve any differences of opinion in online discussions. Or even in any other discussions. It is a condition of our society and especially our generation today.
The blue humorists are exercising their rights as Americans. The blue humorists have little to no opposition present to counter them either. As far as ridicule and the ability to hold up against ridicule, damnation, insult and so on, I'd take a red over a blue any day. Sorry dude, we are tougher, we are emotionally stronger, we are able to deal with shit, we are more cunning, we have more character, we have more natural instincts, we have more faith in ourselves and God above and so forth.

I'm not so sure about that. Meyers made fun of Californians last night, and I laughed the most about it than any of his jokes about Trump. I'm not sure most of you reds can take a joke about you. On the contrary, you guys react with severe anger at what you see as us putting you down ("condescending" you call it), and make that the main reason for your reactionary views and votes. The reds are subject to prejudice and fear to a much greater degree than blues. I understand and respect the natural virtues of rural people, but these days I do so less because they are so easily taken in by sloganeers like Reagan, Bush and Trump. Some of us blues are also greens like me, and we know that God is not "above" but "within," so we have that advantage over you. We are rivals now, but if the pall of red ideology and fear lifts over your side as new generations arise, things might smooth over in the future.

As for the older Democrats being closer to your views, I'm not so sure about that either. How far do you take that? The civil rights, green, gun control and anti-war views of blues go back to the sixties. But the views of older Democrats on such things as social welfare, taxes, unions and social security were if anything further to the left than the views of blues today after 40 years of neo-liberal dominance. But reports I've seen of opinion polls today show a shift back to the left on such things as support for Medicare for All. Whether the people are ready to make that change remains to be seen, however, and blue politicians are frequently still held back by the neo-liberal/classical liberal power in government. Reports are that the new House members tend to be more often center-left moderate than progressive.

Quote:I'm sure Bill Maher doesn't want that kind of stuff eventually happening to him and I'm sure he doesn't want political correctness being applied to him or his shows either. Well, tough shit if they do eventually. I mean, there's a price that must be paid for being aligned with a bunch of morons and a bunch people who aren't experts in anything other than what blues think or how blues feel about the issues or the people that are being discussed on his show. Have you ever seen him react to an expert who actually knows something? I have, it's quite funny when his untested ego is trampled on by someone with real knowledge who views him as a fool.

He seems to do very well from what I've seen.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure - by Eric the Green - 12-11-2018, 12:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House passes bill to expand background checks for gun sales HealthyDebate 49 7,171 11-22-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Hawaii bill would allow gun seizure after hospitalization nebraska 23 11,706 06-08-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Young Americans have rapidly turned against gun control, poll finds Einzige 5 2,154 04-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  2022 elections: House, Senate, State governorships pbrower2a 13 3,879 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM
  Kyrsten Synema (D - Az) brings a cake into the Senate to downvote min. wage hike Einzige 104 27,306 04-22-2021, 03:21 AM
  Hawaii Senate approves nation’s highest income tax rate HealthyDebate 0 771 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  House of Delegates Passes Sweeping Gun-Control Bill stillretired 6 1,930 03-10-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Kate1999
  Biden faces bipartisan backlash over Syria bombing Kate1999 0 715 03-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Kate1999
  U.S. House set to vote on bills to expand gun background checks Adar 0 750 03-08-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Adar
  Senate passes bill to ban foreigner home purchases newvoter 2 1,092 02-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Last Post: newvoter