Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts On Where We Are, and Where We're Going
(09-11-2018, 10:04 AM)David Horn Wrote: That's one of the reasons I find the continuous drumbeat of the anti-racists and anti-misogynists so troubling.  It's not that they are wrong,  It's that they are divisive.  If you want to wrench power from the monied elite, you need all-hands-on-deck.  That won't happen if women and people of color are looking narrowly at their special issues, and only looking there.  #MeToo is a good idea.  So is Black Lives Matter.  Right now, both need to focus on the bigger picture or both will simply fail...

I have a lot of hope for the Millennials, who have already incorporated anti-racism and anti-sexism into their very beings.  They can join hands, ignore those battles (or do eye-rolls at their foolish elders for being the 'way they are'), and focus on the threats that need to be resolved.

I have focused a lot on the forgivable things in the red agenda.  Smaller more efficient less corrupt government, lower taxes and less burdensome regulation are among these.  It would behoove blues to understand these things, to give them more than lip service. But to some degree the blues have things to do. There is a balance to be found.

I have given less ink lately to the things that are not forgivable.  There is a solid opposition to fighting global warming.  There is a stubborn loyalty to voodoo economics, though it has failed in the long run whenever tried.  Then there is racism, sexism, the Southern Strategy.

I too have much hope for the young, that things can change on all three unforgivable fronts.  This hurricane season might more that chip away at the warming position.  The South has suffered enough.  Borrow and spend just hasn't worked.  We all have suffered enough.  The young have to a great extent turned their back on their elders prejudices.  It won't take much.  Trump won a minority victory.  Gerrymandering, the electoral college and the elite's way of buying government are a barriers that can be overcome.

David Horn's and Hillbilly Eulogy's vision of the rural culture as paternal, religious and irrational may be true enough, but large enough problems can cause change.  It can be turned around.  They have to.  Stubborn as cultures can be, even they will eventually say enough is enough.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts On Where We Are, and Where We're Going - by Bob Butler 54 - 09-12-2018, 02:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on the mixed race, globalised world of the future Isoko 37 19,660 06-18-2020, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Isoko
Smile My thoughts on the George Floyd protests Isoko 29 15,119 06-15-2020, 02:32 AM
Last Post: Blazkovitz