Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Trainwreck - Ongoing diary of betrayal and evil
(11-24-2016, 05:50 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: It's sort of natural, I think, for the blue side to want progress and real freedom and opportunity. We can't help it if too many people can't see it and resist it and want to go backwards towards the tyranny of the past. We still need to push, for everyone's benefit...

Wise or not, in regard to the likelihood of success, it still must be done. Yes, reactionaries are stubborn, especially in conservative, heavily-religious countries like the United States, Saudi Arabia, etc. But we push for progress, or we fall behind. Whether the regressives like it or not, we will keep pushing. It's human nature to do that; to keep pushing up into life, in spite of the forces of death. And evolution continues.

In past American crises, the problems have been clear and drastic.  The need for transformation is in your face obvious.  The progressive can and do solve the problem by submarining the conservatives, just brute for taking over and doing it, with muzzle loading firearms settling two of the larger arguments.  Your attitude suggests a repeat of that pattern.  If I thought you could get a clear majority, a president and a filibuster proof congress, I'd be with you.  The clean way to resolve a 4T is with a solid consensus that certain problems are intolerable.  The progressives will take over, send the Royal Loyalists to Canada and free the slaves.

That requires a critical mass of votes.  The critical mass of votes requires an intolerable problem and consensus on how to solve it.  The pattern we have seen in this endless unravelling with no regeneracy in sight suggests that we might not get the sort of successful culture transforming crisis that S&H predicted.

It might yet happen.  I'd like to at least consider and talk about whether it can happen, whether we should try to make it happen.  We've seen enough dystopian variations of crisis proposed by various folk both red and blue, with the country splitting and rural / urban conflict.  We've seen both red and blue claims that their values will ultimately clearly win at the ballot box.  My magic 8 ball is hazy.  I guess you must do what your values say you have to do, but I don't know if it is possible and wise.

Mind you, I generally favor blue values.  A nice clean traditional progressive transformation of the county that resolves a good number of problems would be a nice thing from my perspective.  I'd just like people to consider if going for it is entirely prudent.  Do we have to force red states onto Obamacare?  Do we have to have transgender bathrooms in red states?  Do we have to force bakers to sell wedding cakes with two tiny wax brides on top?  Do we have to force police departments to improve training so that fewer minorities are shot without real cause?

Well, yes, some fights should be fought.  It is also possible to push unnecessary fights and rile up the opposition for no good reason.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump Trainwreck - Ongoing diary of betrayal and evil - by Bob Butler 54 - 11-24-2016, 08:28 PM
Stupid is as stupid does... - by Ragnarök_62 - 04-05-2017, 07:54 PM
RE: Stupid is as stupid does... - by pbrower2a - 04-06-2017, 01:56 AM
RE: Stupid is as stupid does... - by Galen - 04-08-2017, 08:47 PM