Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Trainwreck - Ongoing diary of betrayal and evil
(12-25-2016, 04:16 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(12-25-2016, 04:08 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: This thread is about the trainwreck and betrayal that is Trump and his new administration. If those who don't realize that Trump is a trainwreck, want to disagree, this is an open forum. But talk about the behavior and language of fellow posters, is totally irrelevant.

It is not irrelevant when personal attacks are against the supposed rules. Not to mention that it tends to prevent further discussion of the subject you speak of when people are being attacked. You yourself have even mentioned this in the past.

When there are strong world view clashes, extreme partisans of one ilk tend to view those of another other ilk as stupid, evil, insane, authoritarian, Republican or otherwise incapable of rational thought.  Such perceptions result in a need to attack, and the attacks rapidly become personal.  The rules are supposed to keep it from being personal.  Human nature seems to be in conflict with the rules.  Remaining civil and open to ideas is really hard if one is unable or unwilling to strive to understand and respect the other guy.

I try to avoid mentioning other posters by name.  I try to focus on issues rather than other posters.  This seems to help some.

It doesn't help that a lot of signs seem to me to indicate that Trump really will be a train wreck.  Sometimes, though, what he does seems to work somewhat.  

As an example, a few days back Trump announced a desire to cancel the F 35 program and build more 1980s era F 18s.  I posted that continuing to use very dated technology would present problems trying to maintain the air superiority that we're accustomed to having.  It's tempting to accent such an opinion on military equipment with a judgment on Trump's knowledge and temperament.  The day after Trump's tweet, though, came a promise from Lockheed to cut the price on the F 35.  I'm not sure I trust Lockheed's promises any more than I do Trump's, but that's the style of government we're going to be seeing, apparently.

Government by tweet?  Does it only work if the victim thinks the Tweeter in Chief really will follow through on his threats?  Is there more going on than an off the wall threat drawing an empty promise?

I feel more comfortable with the more polished and dignified traditional approach of the establishment politicians.  On the other hand, I quite understand the frustration with the establishment business as usual.  I'm trying to keep an open mind.  At the same time, a vision of a train flying full speed off a cliff makes me nervous.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
Stupid is as stupid does... - by Ragnarök_62 - 04-05-2017, 07:54 PM
RE: Stupid is as stupid does... - by pbrower2a - 04-06-2017, 01:56 AM
RE: Stupid is as stupid does... - by Galen - 04-08-2017, 08:47 PM