Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Trainwreck - Ongoing diary of betrayal and evil
(07-22-2017, 12:14 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(07-21-2017, 11:43 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Get out of the mideast. Maybe good advice. But what occurs to me in reply to your statement is, well, flames have a tendency to spread. Sometimes fast.

Sanctuary cities are necessary as a response to illegal picking up of immigrants without cause and sending them back. The USA is a land of immigrants. Hypocrisy is blaming immigrants for our troubles. No, it's true our priorities are screwed, but that doesn't mean progressives are necessarily wrong about immigrants. The extreme Republicans and the Trump/Sessions xenophobic base have stopped bipartisan reforms for years supported by Republican and Democratic presidents alike which could have straightened out the mess. They are the ones worthy of the most concerted and loud attacks against them.

1. We more or less agree wrt Mideast, I think...

2.  Hmmmm..... Life lessons from poker needed here. - When playing a hand always consider that how you play this hand affects the other players. IOW, how you play this hand affects the future. So, it appears Eric and Rags are sitting at the virtual table.  So Eric mentions " bipartisan reforms for years supported by Republican and Democratic presidents alike which could have straightened out the mess..."  I think you want Path to Citizenship along with perhaps more folks on the waiting list coming in.  So now:

1. Are you OK with just letting the whole world in, with no checks whatsoever?  If so, have you considered some possible consequences.  If we let too many folks in, then wages would crash and we'd for sure become a 3rd world shithole and in the end nobody benefits. Have you considered that uncontrolled borders also let folks who have wormies and other pathogens to cross. Remember that prior immigrants to the US, you know those you speak of in the 20th century got health screenings?  Why should we risk public health to make some dumb ideological point? Now, the Trump side's objectives are also not grounded in reality.  First, you can't of course keep everyone out, nor discount that there are a batch of immigrants that do indeed do shitty jobs citizens won't do.  So have a plan, man. To play the cards right for the long term in this case requires in step by step manner.

I think the plans that were proposed in congress were fine. That's not letting too many folks in; it was a balanced plan.

Quote:1. Get control of the borders. We don't want a mess after we do:

2. Implement path to citizenship.  Spend the money, set up the processing centers, get the medical resources set up, then get the word out that citizenship sign up is available.  This is when you stop deporting except right at the border.

3. Have the new citizens take a seminar on employee/rights rights. They shall like everyone else and H-2 holders [should be] paid the minimum wage laws and offered the customary OSHA  protections. 

4. End this stupid war on drugs because it causes a lot of the push of folks to our border.  Mexico for example is a narco state because the US is too dumb to see its own part in the mess.  Also no more messing around in Latin America's internal affairs anymore by the US.

I think the plans were reasonable and made immigrants go through these hoops. Maybe they could be tweaked, I dunno. But the plans were not implemented because of the right-wing extremists who control our congress.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
Stupid is as stupid does... - by Ragnarök_62 - 04-05-2017, 07:54 PM
RE: Stupid is as stupid does... - by pbrower2a - 04-06-2017, 01:56 AM
RE: Stupid is as stupid does... - by Galen - 04-08-2017, 08:47 PM
RE: Trump Trainwreck - Ongoing diary of betrayal and evil - by Eric the Green - 07-22-2017, 10:49 PM