Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Trainwreck - Ongoing diary of betrayal and evil
Breitbart just echoed a conclusion I published a few days ago.  The article is KASSAM: The Swamp Just Bounced Trump Into A European-Style Assault on Free Speech  The key picture is someone holding up a sign saying 'No Freedom for Hate Speech'.  There is a controversy over whether some speech is so bad that the government can be trusted to block it.  Breitbart comes up on the traditional US conservative position that speech should be protected absolutely.  This can be turned into a position that conservatives favor hate speech.

I'm of the opinion, of course, that the negative rights should not and do not protect a right to harm others.  US federal law seems to suggest more than one incident, the crossing or virtual crossing of state lines, and that the states should avoid too tight a link to free speech or race.  If not federal, well, it depends on the state.

It is messy.  I'm not going to go too crazy pushing any position.  For the most part I can respect what Scalia tried to do, but I can understand progressives foaming at the mouth on this one.  Meanwhile, while I'm generally in favor of free speech, people shouldn't have to endure harm in public.  The impression is given that some conservatives at least want hate speech, while the modern tendency towards vile stereotypes will imply that all conservatives are thus to be considered deplorable.  Meanwhile, Europe endured World War II being fought on their turf.  It is hardly surprising that they reached strong opinions about what harm can be done by Nazis.

Breitbart?  As usual, they seem quite ready to attribute vile motive to those who disagree with them.  As usual, the tug of war over Trump is quite visible.

Me, I'm in favor of Trump signing a paper saying hate is a bad idea.  Alas, this seems to collide with Breitbart's agenda.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
Stupid is as stupid does... - by Ragnarök_62 - 04-05-2017, 07:54 PM
RE: Stupid is as stupid does... - by pbrower2a - 04-06-2017, 01:56 AM
RE: Stupid is as stupid does... - by Galen - 04-08-2017, 08:47 PM
RE: Trump Trainwreck - Ongoing diary of betrayal and evil - by Bob Butler 54 - 09-13-2017, 09:46 PM