Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Trainwreck - Ongoing diary of betrayal and evil
(02-10-2018, 06:51 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 05:21 PM)bobc Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 01:05 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: I have plenty of conservative values. I consider law and order necessary for a civil society because lawlessness turns democracy into a sham. I consider tradition a viable alternative for destructive trends in the name of progress, and even a means of finding ways to deal with economic and technological change. I strongly oppose the merger of Big Government and Big Business... and indeed I question whether Big Government is itself a virtue. Legal precedent, established process, and diplomatic protocol exist to mitigate dangerous courses of action. I consider much of the lore of the past, including the great blossoming of intellectual inquiry of the ancient Greeks and the moral teachings of the Hebrew prophets relevant to modern life because such knowledge is best not re-learned the hard way.

If you thought about things a little differently, you would see that Trump is our best hope towards restoring the proper role of government.

The very fact that the Deep State and the Press are so hysterically against him, while being just fine with Hillary, should indicate to you that it isn't moral uprightness that they are upholding. They are against him because he threatens their way of life. Their way of life is corrupt, with laws applied by whim, coming down like a ton of bricks on those they don't like, and completely absent for those in their group.

We need to sweep away the Deep State, and noone other than Trump is capable or desiring of doing that.

With the likely exception of some military and intelligence departments, the Deep State is just honorable folks going about the business of serving the people. It performs necessary and desirable functions, and keeps the real Deep State, namely corporate and big business America, from ruling over our lives to our detriment of everyone but themselves.

The point. The criminals are getting increasingly sophisticated because they are often better educated. There was a time when law enforcement was astonished at the low levels of formal schooling and measurable intelligence associated with the Mafia. The characters in Goodfellas aren't the sorts of people with which one could hold an discussion  of the Italian Renaissance or the music of Vivaldi or Puccini even if such were 'their culture'. That's more like Moonstruck, characters out of which I might find interesting partners in a discussion of interesting things.

The Russian Mafia is really smart, and it knows how to do business, science, and mathematics. It's no less vicious than the old (and dying) Sicilian Mafia. The FBI has to keep up with the intellectual capacities of the Russian Mafia. That's why it is full of attorneys and accountants and has one of the best scientific labs in the world.

There were crass jokes about CIA standing for "Cocaine Import Agency"... but we rarely make those anymore. It has other concerns, like terrorism.

With the enforcement agencies of all times, the question Qui custodiet custodies?  of Roman times still applies. Who watches the watchmen? Internal affairs to see who is going corrupt. But every company watches its accountants closely because the accountants know best how to embezzle.

Quote:
Quote:Just because the Deep State opposes someone that you (I think in error of your own actual views) also oppose, does not mean that you should want them to prevail.

You are also well aware that in the Fourth Turning, precedent and protocol get thrown away. Our choice is to make America Great Again, or to resemble something like Venezuela , which many on the left only a few years ago said we should emulate.

I doubt many people on the Left in American thought we should emulate Venezuela. Trump and his followers are doing just that, by submitting and depending on a strong man type of rule.

Yup!

Quote:
Quote:I understand you distrust Trump's motives, but I think you are mistaken about that.
The combination of Big Business and Big Government is something that Trump opposes. What he needs now are many more Republicans in Congress and the Senate, so as not to be beholden to whatever the 50th Senator demands, which might well be something he is against.

Trump supports his class of rich folks, and ONLY his class of rich folks. His sole motive is to enrich himself and his friends, and that's why he appoints alligators to his swamp, and opposes every regulation that keeps the people healthy and free. Trump is interested in one thing: corruption, that supports himself, his family and his rich friends. Everything he does supports this fact. What the people need now is many more Democrats in congress, so that his evil actions can be blocked, and the people can eventually re-enter the path of progress.

He has also been on intimate terms with organized crime; he has frequently violated environmental regulations and hired illegal aliens to do demolition work involving asbestos. About all that he has in common with his 'deplorable' supporters are his contempt for the educated middle class (as an elitist he would love to see them cut down), his intellectual hollowness, and his well-documented vulgarity. I have seen evidence in polling that he is losing much of his 'deplorable' support while gaining no support from the educated middle class.

Losing support is not a good way to effect permanent change in the political system.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
Stupid is as stupid does... - by Ragnarök_62 - 04-05-2017, 07:54 PM
RE: Stupid is as stupid does... - by pbrower2a - 04-06-2017, 01:56 AM
RE: Stupid is as stupid does... - by Galen - 04-08-2017, 08:47 PM
RE: Trump Trainwreck - Ongoing diary of betrayal and evil - by pbrower2a - 02-10-2018, 07:42 PM