Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millennials and GenZ horribly misidentified
I very much agree with the cut off date of the millennial generation at about 2003-05. There is no reason to call people born after 1997 Generation Z. They are not. They act and think like millennials, and were all calling themselves that before Pew intervened. The 1996 cut off date made by Pew is made by a demographer. They are only looking at superficial demographic physical traits, not at the traits of a generation. Generations theorists look at the traits and values of a generation. They are shaped by the turnings they grew up in, and shape them in turn.

9-11 did not indicate any change to the 3rd turning. It went on and continued. No national emergency or total war followed; the people were told to go shopping. The Bush response to 9-11 was phony business as usual, including starting an unnecessary war, and also not pursuing the criminals who attacked us on 9-11 anyway. They did not properly invade Afghanistan and did not capture bin laden. That is not a 4T response. And the Bush policy did not establish a new defense policy. Their policy of starting preemptive wars to advance American imperialism was not continued after Bush. No, the preemptive war policy was business as usual; it was just another Vietnam invasion that also was not justified.

The great recession affected the whole world, and we have only recently recovered from it, while still leaving many on the edge of economic ruin. That was the start of the 4T, which means the next adaptive Generation Z started 2003-2005. I understand the inpulse for speculation about the theory, but it is working fine, and all predictions based on it have come true. Why not just relax and watch the events happen as they were predicted, as has been happening all along?

There has been virtually no worthwhile pop culture in the USA since the early 1980s. Why base anything or any dates upon it?
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Millennials and GenZ horribly misidentified - by Eric the Green - 05-01-2019, 01:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Millennials are now 40!!! Cocoa_Puff 13 3,818 01-08-2022, 02:58 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Why 2001-2003 is the cusp between Millennials and New Adaptives RELFantastic 14 5,533 08-19-2021, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Boomers and Millennials: Oops! Anthony '58 33 16,987 12-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Biggest share of whites in U.S. are Boomers, but for minority groups it’s Millennials Dan '82 2 3,988 07-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Last Post: The Wonkette