Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millennials and GenZ horribly misidentified
(05-24-2019, 01:06 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 12:44 PM)NobodyImportant Wrote: She might be stupid to do those things but she is doing them because she thinks that THAT IS RIGHT. In this sense GenY are entitled, because a lot of people actually think like her. GenYers.

Millies are running businesses and whatnot, but businesses aren't institutions. As Eric said, AOC is the perfect example. What millennials do amounts to about as much as AOC the "prime millennial" 's stuff does. And no, they are not getting *anything* done. Look around you. The only thing they are changing is societies attitudes, and that only in their filterbubbles as well.

I explained the issues having ownership thing in my previous post, but here again:
Parties have taken ownership of issues. They are the ones that deal with those issues and the other party doesn't even *acknowledge* the issues. And vice versa. This ensures that people like millennials who want change can never actually command any big sweeping majority to make it happen. Because half the populace will care about the issues of the other side which they will never see represented on the one side.

"Too bad that the Establishment Republicans took down Milo."
So you're saying.... the right is not over outrage culture either.
Sure, it's not the exact same things to be outraged about, but the basic drive to end people's carreers over single remarks and declare someone unfit is still there. Just like how the right also keeps itself ideologically clean, with Trump being a minor outlier. This is precisely why it was so important to have him elected. But even he doesn't really take up too many causes of the left to actually care about.

"they lack the civic drive that Millies do" Well they might lack the drive for it but they possess the faculties. They can actually see that sneering at your opposition á la AOC is not something that will get you far, as opposed to millennials whose basic mode of operation is just that.

I'm not from america, so i can confidently say that no it's not just the bay and nyc areas lol.

Millennials have been *the* cohort to hate brexit. And why? Because that's how things are supposed to be.
Ignoring the pragmatic issues that others had with the EU. The millennials are also the ones who bought into the "refugees welcome" idiocy the most. Because it sounds good in theory.

Millenials make up a large part of black blocs and anarchocommunists and whatnot. Becuase it sounds good in theory
Conversely it's also millennials who gave rise to the alt right, who gave rise to free speech absolutists, and who wanted ronpaul and anarchocapitalism the most. Why? *Because it sounds good in theory.*

It's not just coastal and ivory tower people. It's more or less the entire generation, and i'd know - i can see them all around me on two different continents.

I'm Millennial and a free speech absolutist. Why is free speech absolutism bad? I'm this way because I'm tired of people being offended by everything and resent my freedom being taken away just because people's fee fees say so.

Sieg heil! White Power! Kill the (name the ethnic or religious group)! Hang the capitalists! Give (us NAMBLA perverts) the right to molest children. Add a barrage of f-bombs. Do you get the point? Free speech does not mean the right to a compliant  audience.

Criminal speech has never had the protection of the First Amendment. Incitement to riot has always been cause for swift arrest.  False advertising gets shut down.

That said, the solution to bad speech is more speech, speech deeper in thought and usually with more complex reasoning. At the extreme, the coarse hatred of the Jew-baiting of Julius Streicher and the crass stereotypes in Der ewige Jude succeeded in Nazi Germany only because nobody -- especially the Jews - got the right to contest it.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Millennials and GenZ horribly misidentified - by pbrower2a - 05-26-2019, 03:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Millennials are now 40!!! Cocoa_Puff 13 3,784 01-08-2022, 02:58 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Why 2001-2003 is the cusp between Millennials and New Adaptives RELFantastic 14 5,492 08-19-2021, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Boomers and Millennials: Oops! Anthony '58 33 16,882 12-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Biggest share of whites in U.S. are Boomers, but for minority groups it’s Millennials Dan '82 2 3,970 07-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Last Post: The Wonkette