Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millennials and GenZ horribly misidentified
(05-27-2019, 03:20 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(05-27-2019, 10:13 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote:
(05-27-2019, 03:33 AM)michael_k Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 06:02 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote: I'm a first wave Millennial and though I'm defined by the 08 recession I'm not defined by the SJW movements. I never wanted to take part in them and wasn't near the campus movements. I will go down denying how I am somehow involved in it just because of my birth cohort.

You do not have to agree with SJW politics to fit in with the older Millennial (circa 84-94 birth years) demographic. It's more of a matter of being there at the time and seeing the drama of the era unfold around you, even if you do not wish to be directly involved in it. Clearly SJWs were not the only political movement for our generation to be engaged in, we also saw the development of a strong conservative counter-cultural undercurrent which was spearheaded by the likes of Ben Shapiro, Steven Crowder, Milo Yiannopoulos and Candice Owens among others, and this is a part of our place in political history as well. Like Eric the Green said, not all Boomers supported Reagan, even though his ideas were popular at the time, there will always be people who are apathetic or defiant against movements that persist during their own era, its a matter of natural human diversity of opinion.

What happens to the people who disagree with the movements of their time period? I think right now politics seems very infantilizing. The left seems to act like no one is a rational actor who can make decisions of their own and that everyone thinks, learns, and does things best the same way.

Political correctness can be irritating, as it restricts speech that might offend this and that oppressed group or mildly-oppressed group. But if you are not near the SJW movements and their speech restrictions, why be so concerned about them? Considering the murder of dozens of transgender people, mostly those who are people of color (not "niggers," sorry, but I am obeying the dictum of political correctness here, with no apologies for doing so), and considering the fact pointed out in this article, I think the far greater concern today is what Trump has done to bring out the hatred and the opposition against oppressed and discriminated against and endangered non-white-male-straight folks in America. The opposite concern to yours seems far more justified.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2019/03/hate...m2PmS3UCo8

Hate crimes have risen 226% in areas where Trump held rallies
A new study suggests that "The Trump Effect" is literally endangering communities and lives.

[Image: trump-hate-crimes.jpg?w=790&h=530&fit=cr...crop=faces]

I'm afraid of the death of free speech in the US. In places like the UK, people get arrested for what they post online. If you combine this with how people with records are treated in the US, that leaves someone unemployable for life. People get fired, get their lives ruined, and even go to jail because they say things against the SJW mob. It's not all hateful either. Sometimes it's just having a different opinion.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Millennials and GenZ horribly misidentified - by AspieMillennial - 05-28-2019, 07:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Millennials are now 40!!! Cocoa_Puff 13 3,784 01-08-2022, 02:58 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Why 2001-2003 is the cusp between Millennials and New Adaptives RELFantastic 14 5,492 08-19-2021, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Boomers and Millennials: Oops! Anthony '58 33 16,881 12-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Biggest share of whites in U.S. are Boomers, but for minority groups it’s Millennials Dan '82 2 3,970 07-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Last Post: The Wonkette