Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millennials and GenZ horribly misidentified
(05-24-2019, 01:06 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: I'm Millennial and a free speech absolutist. Why is free speech absolutism bad? I'm this way because I'm tired of people being offended by everything and resent my freedom being taken away just because people's fee fees say so.
(05-26-2019, 03:20 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: That said, the solution to bad speech is more speech, speech deeper in thought and usually with more complex reasoning. At the extreme, the coarse hatred of the Jew-baiting of Julius Streicher and the crass stereotypes in Der ewige Jude succeeded in Nazi Germany only because nobody -- especially the Jews - got the right to contest it.

This is exactly what i meant. The solution to speech is not more speech.
The problem isn't that speech is hurting anyone's fee-fees the problem is that to think that 'the solution to speech having negative effects is more speech' is "gun violence can be solved by more guns" "global warming can be solved by axing our modern society completely" level delusional.

"Speech is just words".
This is what people on the right of the political spectrum continue to just repeat ad nauseam.

"Just words" are more powerful than actions. If you "punch a nazi in the face" he's gonna be angry and be able to rile up support against you. If you agree with this you *know* that words at times are better than actions.

Similarly if you have ever seen an ad, you know why words have an incomprehensibly vast effect.
If "just words" had no effect then advertisement wouldn't frikkin exist.
The term "all PR is good PR" wouldn't exist.
People and pundits wouldn't be able to sway a third of the populace to their side just by repeating the same insane crap over and over again. (Which they do. A third of the populace cannot seem to form consistent opinions on political things and will just repeat what they've seen the most.)

Simply seeing something repeated plays into cognitive ease, no matter if you agree with it or not. This is a well studied scientific fact.
It's one of the most powerful cognitive phenomena affecting the human brain.
In this way words are literally without hyperbole AN ACTUAL DIRECT REMOTE CONTROL TO PEOPLE'S BRAINS.
People can be made to buy, vote, kill, or die with "just words".
At least a vast swath of the population can.

So saying that "it's just words" is the same level of dangerously lunatic thinking as saying "a border is just a line in the sand", or "vaccines are just some big pharma product"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Millennials and GenZ horribly misidentified - by NobodyImportant - 05-28-2019, 06:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Millennials are now 40!!! Cocoa_Puff 13 3,825 01-08-2022, 02:58 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Why 2001-2003 is the cusp between Millennials and New Adaptives RELFantastic 14 5,540 08-19-2021, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Boomers and Millennials: Oops! Anthony '58 33 17,006 12-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Biggest share of whites in U.S. are Boomers, but for minority groups it’s Millennials Dan '82 2 3,993 07-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Last Post: The Wonkette