Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting Trump into the flow of history
If Trump fits the "disjunctive" pattern of 1932 and 1980, it could happen. But it's not likely because the country is so polarized today, with people voting on the basis of entrenched ideology and prejudices. kinser exemplifies the ignorance and stubbornness with which Trump's base sticks with him no matter what. How the leader actually rules, and what effect it has on the country, are irrelevant to today's "reds" (opposite color used to your maps). You keep forgetting that Trump cannot be underestimated. Not only are actual policies and effects of his rule irrelevant to his sheepish, hypnotized red-state followers, but in general the most charismatic and talented speaker wins the election.

Trump was expected to lose in 2016, and won despite making more gaffes and lies than any candidate in history by far, and despite having zero qualifications and a well-known record as a crook and scam artist. He's a talented celebrity incumbent demagogue with a personality that connects well with a crowd and a TV audience. That's going to be hard for either one of the two old geezers to beat, especially in our system rigged to benefit Republicans, and no other candidates so far announced have any chance against Trump at all. We have no FDR or Reagan in the wings this time. Keep those "objective facts" in mind, Mr. Brower, as you make your astute reports and reflections on history and the polls.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fitting Trump into the flow of history - by Eric the Green - 05-17-2019, 02:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abandon-business events and a history book MarkDBlackwell 0 885 05-26-2021, 04:40 PM
Last Post: MarkDBlackwell
  Some Prophetic Matrix and the Thermodynamic Cycle of History Mark40 2 2,602 08-14-2019, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund