Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts from the Russian Federation
Ah but you forget a simple caveat with Poland.

Poland's economy then was in a huge shambles that was causing mass protests and the downfall of the entire government. That energy simply does not exist in Russia as many people do have a decent life. No one really wants to take down the government. 

They don't want to change the economic system. They just want more money pumped into it.

As for rich people wanting Democracy, sure, there are voices in Russia that do want Democracy. That I will not deny. However, amongst the intelligentsia here, there is no desire to replicate the Western democracy as many view it as susceptible to corruption, which is a touche issue amongst Russians.

Like one young guy said to me, the country would be happy with another Putin who put an end to the corruption. That is the thing with Russians, they do like to have what is known as a "strong king". Unlike the West that likes its leaders to be in for a short period, Russians are cool with them remaining in for long periods of power.

To be honest, I think Russia will end up going down the Singapore road of Democracy. That is a one party democratic state whereby they have a strong leader but the people have more say in what is going on. I call it conservative democracy. There will be more democracy in Russia in a few decades. Just not the Western form of of.

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts from the Russian Federation - by Isoko - 11-09-2019, 06:17 PM
RE: Thoughts from the Russian Federation - by Isoko - 04-17-2020, 04:34 AM