Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it just me or is the 21st century....rather boring?
I don’t expect that if you learn something by observing one era, that that thing will not necessarily repeat in another. That leaves us with a problem now just transitioning from the Industrial Age to the Information Age. It is not that one shouldn’t look at trends from one time to carry over to another, but that you should be a bit dubious, a bit doubtful, fall back on some analysis, be sure nothing that distinguishes the two ages effects the phenomena you are predicting.

Computers, nukes and more trust in democracy are three of the big shifts I see in the Information Age. In the Industrial Age, sure, major powers would start a crisis war at the drop of a hat. The powers that be would not accept a major change without violence. The elites of the winning side would increase their influence, and thus encourage leaders of states who saw themselves as having an advantage to start something.

The 1960s seemed to change that. Transformation could occur through democracy, and did not require a crisis war. That held so far through the crisis.

I am not saying violence is obsolete, that holders of old autocratic power will always yield gracefully. Sometimes violence becomes inevitable. I just would not count on it always happening automatically as it seemed to do before the change.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it just me or is the 21st century....rather boring? - by Bob Butler 54 - 04-29-2020, 09:34 AM