Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it just me or is the 21st century....rather boring?
(04-28-2020, 09:44 PM)beechnut79 Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 05:07 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 03:57 PM)sbarrera Wrote: And 1870-1940 saw more technological change than any other era in human history, including our own.

To me, 1870-1940 seems to have seen more technological change than 1950-2020.

My 11 year old daughter might disagree:  to her, the difference between a horse drawn carriage and an automobile may seem smaller than the difference between a wireline phone that could only carry voice and a modern smartphone.
From television to the Internet, Facebook and more, I would say there have been rapid and extreme social and technological change especially since the 1980s. Hardly anybody today can imagine live before online and now smartphones.

Techno changes are not changes. It's the same obsession with technology that is now just business as usual.

And although materialists only see technical and economic changes as responsible for all other changes, much like materialist Marxists did, I not being a materialist do not subscribe to that view.

Only social and cultural change that moves us forward toward the visionary new-age and progressive ideals will not be "boring."

More tech change will be boring.

More wars will be boring.

More tyranny and more incompetent authoritarian demagogues will be boring.

More "alternative" pop culture that resembles more rap, heavy metal, grunge and core-punk will be boring.

More commercial pop culture that just features more sexy stars spouting superficial memes and recycled melodic hooks will be boring.

More lousy TV shows and violent movie blockbusters will be boring.

More conspiracy theories will be boring.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it just me or is the 21st century....rather boring? - by Eric the Green - 04-29-2020, 03:29 PM