Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Trump embracing aggressive withdrawal?
(02-25-2017, 02:56 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: There seems to be an attack on Raqqa shaping up, with Iraqi soldiers participating as well as Kurds and US airpower. I don't know how that works out. Who is going to hold the territory? Syrians don't want to live under Assad. I don't see an end game there for the foreseeable future. Without a viable state to rule Syria, the IS could just revive itself there.

Do you have a reference for Iraqi participation?  What I've read is that it will involve Turks and Kurds on the ground, with US air power, which makes more sense for a city at the geographic center of Syria.  My understanding is that the timing and balance of the ground forces is still under discussion.  Control of the territory afterwards will likely be based on ground participation.

Personally, I'd prefer more Turkish influence, not least because it will be a greater deterrent to infighting with Assad and his Russian and Iranian support.

(02-25-2017, 03:06 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: The Russians are not going to abandon their client state.  I doubt very seriously that toppling what's left of Assad's government, as repressive as it is, is going to weaken Islamist forces in the region.  

What's the track record of that policy the last several times we tried it?  Wink

Have we tried it with a NATO ally like Turkey ready take over administration of the territory?

More seriously, there have been rumblings about replacing Assad and leaving a rump Syria on the coast, which would satisfy the Russians but not the Iranians.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Trump embracing aggressive withdrawal? - by Warren Dew - 02-25-2017, 03:42 PM
MIC spending is way too high - by Ragnarök_62 - 04-01-2017, 07:52 PM
RE: MIC spending is way too high - by Warren Dew - 04-02-2017, 01:09 AM
RE: MIC spending is way too high - by pbrower2a - 04-02-2017, 02:46 PM
RE: MIC spending is way too high - by Warren Dew - 04-02-2017, 06:15 PM
RE: MIC spending is way too high - by pbrower2a - 04-02-2017, 07:16 PM
RE: MIC spending is way too high - by Warren Dew - 04-16-2017, 02:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump's real German analog Donald Trump takes office on Friday, and the world hol pbrower2a 2 2,904 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Last Post: freivolk