Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump brought the Regeneracy, just not in the way he expected.
(03-10-2017, 10:35 AM)SomeGuy Wrote:
(03-10-2017, 09:13 AM)Odin Wrote: If my suspicions are correct, there is going to be shockingly high Millennial turnout in 2018 and the Dems will take the House and a shit-load of state legislatures and governorships. Alt-Right lunatics like Kinser won't realize what hit them.

What are these "suspicions" based on?  Other than wishful thinking, of course.  Wink

Let's take the obligatory bit where I make fun of you for being a progressive and you scream about the evils of the alt-right and fascism as read.  

Why do you think, in a non-Presidential election, where mostly Democratic Senate seats are at play, and Congressional districts drawn by Republicans in 2010, and the bias towards geographically dispersed (rural) populations that a territorial representation is going to have regardless of gerrymandering, do you expect such a wave election within the next 2 years?

The "alternative right" really is fascist. You know... White Power! Sieg heil! Duce! Duce! Duce! The KKK forever! Fascism remains an evil cause, and the only reason to accept a certain fascism is that another is even worse... Schuschnigg over Hitler, which is like saying "Better Kadar than Pol Pot".

There has been a predictable pattern in every midterm election beginning in 2006: that when the President has approval ratings below 50%, his Party loses seats in the House If you want to believe that Donald Trump will turn his popularity around and have approval ratings in the high 50s by the autumn of 2018 then such is your prerogative. Maybe because I am a partisan Democrat I can't ever catch on to what a wonderful President we have and need a stint in some labor camp in which I learn how great the Leader is or die for my failure.

The polls show Americans getting accustomed to the reality of Donald Trump... but they remain very low. Out President is far better at creating ideological walls than in building pragmatic bridges. If the Republicans have an economic meltdown or an international calamity to deal with, then they would be hard-pressed to win the sorts of districts that they won 57-43 in 2016.

Yes, it is true that far more Democratic seats in the Senate are up than are Republican seats in the Senate, and the Republicans have only two in non-swing states. I have little cause top believe that Democrats can make Senate gains. But they can make big gains in State houses. There will be open gubernatorial seats in Michigan and Florida, and should Democrats win those two, Donald Trump will have no help in the form of voter suppression in those states. Gubernatorial races could be even more important than the Senate races for the upcoming general election of 2020.

The only wishful thinking on my part is that patterns that have been true under Barack Obama operate just as hard with Donald Trump., which is no more unreasonable than an Iowa corn farmer ordering  seed corn in February despite the raging blizzard that on its own terms suggests a return to the Ice Age.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump brought the Regeneracy, just not in the way he expected. - by pbrower2a - 03-10-2017, 11:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump's real German analog Donald Trump takes office on Friday, and the world hol pbrower2a 2 2,905 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Last Post: freivolk