Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump brought the Regeneracy, just not in the way he expected.
(03-10-2017, 09:00 PM)SomeGuy Wrote:
(03-10-2017, 08:44 PM)Odin Wrote:
(03-10-2017, 05:27 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: Don't forget the constant mantra of "diversity is our strength" despite empirical evidence to the contrary.  And "We're a nation of immigrants" despite the fact that immigration is an experience that an individual may go through but not one their descendants do (unless of course they emigrate).

You are being intentionally dishonest, putting meaning in those words not implied by the people saying them. Name me one immigrant group, excluding fringe cases like the Amish, that has not fully assimilated into American culture by the 3rd generation. The "We're a nation of immigrants" line is about pointing out the hypocrisy of people attacking immigrants when their own ancestors were immigrants. Steve Bannon's Irish Catholic ancestors caused as much hysteria as Muslims do now.

My only complaint with this line of argument is when it is used to justify policies, like "bilingual" education for small children, which erode that assimilation process.

Oh I agree. I think that stuff is well-meaning, it comes from concerns about Latino immigrant children keeping up academically, but in the long run it hurts integration.

On a related note, I think the way we generally teach foreign languages in this country sucks. If we want Americans to have better proficiency with other languages it has to start at an earlier age than high school.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump brought the Regeneracy, just not in the way he expected. - by Odin - 03-10-2017, 09:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump's real German analog Donald Trump takes office on Friday, and the world hol pbrower2a 2 2,904 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Last Post: freivolk