Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Malaise Speech for the Current Time
I feel the need to bring up several points to rebut this long screed.

Beechnut79 Wrote:The recent defeat of healthcare reform, rather sarcastically referred to as Trumpcare, went down to defeat last week. Who was reinforcing the need to see its defeat?

Actually among the politcially active it was primarily called Ryancare or Obamacare Lite.  The need to defeat it came straight from the administration through reverse psychological methods.  I don't expect the MSM commentariat to understand the psychology of GOP reps, nor do I expect the likes of Odin to understand it either.  When the President's Chief strategist is openly telling Reps to vote for something--it is in their very nature to give him the middle finger.

Quote:I guess it was the general public, as they did not wish to see our new President assume dictator mode, as many had been fearing since he first announced his candidacy.

Who exactly is doing this?  The MSM and their hangers on who are doing nothing more than autistic screeching.  It wasn't that long ago that the President's candidacy was considered a joke.  Then again the following axiom which is attributed to Mohandas K. Gandhi (he never actually said or wrote these words btw) rings true:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Quote:up until now most fledgling protest movements, such as Occupy Wall Street, were noble failures at best

Occupy's major failing was its lack of structure.  A criticism I issued not only here but in a meeting of a communist party that I used to be a member of.  Also it lacked a coherent ideology.  Having been involved myself with both Occupy and the Tea Party; Occupy had a bad habit of breaking down over trivialities in their General Assemblies.  I remember once attempting to steer a meeting away from the topic of smoking while at the protest to a more pertinent topic. 

Also there is no such creature as a noble failure.

Quote:To many folks the election of Trump only added fuel to the already blazing fire. Out of the ashes of discontent appeared Bernie Sanders, who for all intents and purposes was probably the only candidate who proposed the sensible change yet was largely ignored by the corporate controlled media. Had he been given adequate coverage, he possible could be our President today.

1.  Maybe.  Given the reality of how presidents are elected you had a choice between an inexperienced Republican, and a known Democrat criminal--part of the very problem you're describing.  I speak of course of HRC.

2.  Sanders is/was I feel the Whig wing GC but he went down in flames.  Because of the corporate media?  Well they certainly helped, but that isn't the whole story.  No he was actively cheated out of the nomination by behind the scenes super delegate deals.  As I told everyone at the time, when the DNC selected HRC they were going to lose.  And they did lose.

3.  Sanders might have been able to beat Trump had he secured the Green Party nomination, but instead he genuflected to the DNC's hand picked candidate.  As soon as he did so he lost any credibility as a trans-formative figure.

Quote:But would he have to face the same level of obstruction in Congress that President Obama did?

Depends on if the Democrats did well on the down ballot.  But even if Sanders had run--and he was the only democrat who had a chance of beating any Republican (let alone Trump who used completely new tactics in the election)--and he won chance are that the GOP would have retained the House even if the Democrats picked up seats in the Senate.

As such at least one of the two legislative bodies would obstruct at least some of his agenda.  But all of this is speculative.

Quote:Meanwhile, many substandard urban neighborhoods are even worse off today than they were at the heights of the civil rights struggles half a century ago.

Yes, and in these cities who has held control over them for all this time?  Not the GOP.  As a black man there is a reason I call it "walking off the plantation" when I refuse to vote for Democrats.

Quote:If Chicago is a prime example

Having lived in Chicago myself I can tell you that Chicago is a prime example of how Democrats run and control their territories.  The Democrat machine has run that city for at least a century.

Quote:Stories of folks trying to get by on minimum wage or even less have become legendary, as many are forced to work multiple jobs and at times even that isn't enough.

Yes and which party wants to import tons of cheap labor from Latin America?  I'll give you a hint---it isn't the Trumpist GOP.  Establishment Neoliberal/NeoCon GOPers are a different story.  That's okay though party alignment is going to be changing over the course of the next 8 years.

And yes Trump will be a 2 term president barring some sort of catastrophe, an assassination or his death.  I think the middle one is most likely--swamp creatures don't like their swamps being drained.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Malaise Speech for the Current Time - by Kinser79 - 03-29-2017, 01:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ken Burns, commencement speech. Stanford University, 2016. pbrower2a 4 4,205 06-11-2022, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green