Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Researchers Finally Confirm There Is Life After Death
(07-01-2016, 12:13 PM)TnT Wrote: I have no doubt that if I were to seek out communities of "true believers" such as the folks who congregated on Sedona some years ago during the Great Alignment of the Planets, that I could find folks that believe all sorts of oddities.
Such a great place. I've never been there, but all my odd new age friends say it's wonderful!

Quote:For example, in their case, the "magic" in crystals, or the "magic" in sleeping under a pyramid. And what happened? Not a darn thing, except inside their own fevered brains. New Age on steroids.

Crystals and stones are insanely popular. Apparently they can magnify your energy and the intentions or spells you cast. Don't do much with that myself.

Quote:And especially since the advent of the Internet, there is a community for EVERYONE. There is virtually no imaginable belief system that doesn't have its adherents.
This forum is proof of that Smile

Quote:If I seek out, for example, people who believe that wearing a copper bracelet relieves arthritis, I can without question acquire a multitude of personal stories of how much it helped.

This is, of course, the very definition of the process of Confirmation Bias. One can accumlate piles and piles of "evidence," while rejecting piles and piles of "falsehoods," and wind up in arguments able to point to my "evidence" and say, "SEE, SEE ALL THAT!! PROOF POSITIVE!!"

Without question!
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-01-2016, 12:13 PM)TnT Wrote: I have no doubt that if I were to seek out communities of "true believers" such as the folks who congregated on Sedona some years ago during the Great Alignment of the Planets, that I could find folks that believe all sorts of oddities.

For example, in their case, the "magic" in crystals, or the "magic" in sleeping under a pyramid.  And what happened?  Not a darn thing, except inside their own fevered brains.  New Age on steroids.

And especially since the advent of the Internet, there is a community for EVERYONE.  There is virtually no imaginable belief system that doesn't have its adherents.

If I seek out, for example, people who believe that wearing a copper bracelet relieves arthritis, I can without question acquire a multitude of personal stories of how much it helped.

This is, of course, the very definition of the process of Confirmation Bias.  One can accumlate piles and piles of "evidence," while rejecting piles and piles of "falsehoods," and wind up in arguments able to point to my "evidence" and say, "SEE, SEE ALL THAT!!  PROOF POSITIVE!!"

Yes people can seek out confirmation to confirm bias. For me, it was just experience. I was a little kid. I went through something i could not explain. I did not put two and two together till activity started to really pick up later and i had no explanation. It was not till i was about 19 i wondered if it was a ghost or ghosts in my case (i have seen two repetitively. A man and a woman). I have mentioned the activity so no need to repeat. It was not my first explanation and it is a place holder till perhaps science can give me an explanation. But i do not think science CAN explain everything as it needs physical evidence. Not yet anyway. What i see is light. Light is a form of energy. So i call it left over energy from a person. Again, you were not here to experience what i have and it has turned a "materialist" as Eric lovingly called me, (even though i practiced Wicca) into a believer. Being open minded to what science cannot currently explain is a first step to understanding it. Reason i want to explore this is because of my long experience of living in a very active house that has become a major head scratch for me. If there was a physical explanation boy i would love to hear it.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(07-01-2016, 01:24 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
Such a great place. I've never been there, but all my odd new age friends say it's wonderful!

Quote:For example, in their case, the "magic" in crystals, or the "magic" in sleeping under a pyramid.  And what happened?  Not a darn thing, except inside their own fevered brains.  New Age on steroids.

Crystals and stones are insanely popular. Apparently they can magnify your energy and the intentions or spells you cast. Don't do much with that myself.

Quote:And especially since the advent of the Internet, there is a community for EVERYONE.  There is virtually no imaginable belief system that doesn't have its adherents.
This forum is proof of that Smile

Quote:If I seek out, for example, people who believe that wearing a copper bracelet relieves arthritis, I can without question acquire a multitude of personal stories of how much it helped.

This is, of course, the very definition of the process of Confirmation Bias.  One can accumlate piles and piles of "evidence," while rejecting piles and piles of "falsehoods," and wind up in arguments able to point to my "evidence" and say, "SEE, SEE ALL THAT!!  PROOF POSITIVE!!"

Without question!

Yes i tried that out myself when I was a wiccan. I did not see any reason to believe it works. But i still hold interest in the stones today simply for their beauty and sometimes wear a citrine or amethyst around my neck. Or my pentagram especially to keep those pesky jehovas away from me. Oh boy how they run!
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

This web site amasses evidence and experience of life after death in all its aspects:

http://www.near-death.com/science/evidence.html

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Well.... if the mind & our thoughts are electrical energy.. & energy can neither be created nor destroyed.. then yeah, when the bod gives out we just move on.....
Heart  Bernie/Tulsi 2020    Heart
Just a little interesting post on the subject. I neither believe nor disbelieve. Just merely find this topic interesting. Btw if i saw those black human like figures I'd shit the hospital bed.

Almost ALL dying people are ‘visited’ by dead friends in their final days, study finds
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(08-24-2016, 01:25 AM)taramarie Wrote: Just a little interesting post on the subject. I neither believe nor disbelieve. Just merely find this topic interesting. Btw if i saw those black human like figures I'd shit the hospital bed.

Almost ALL dying people are ‘visited’ by dead friends in their final days, study finds

And here's a neat trick with that one that I'll bet you didn't know.

If you are with a dying person who tells you that they were "visited" by someone who you thought was still alive, well....guess what?

They're dead.  

They died without you learning about it.
The future always casts a shadow on the present.
(11-06-2016, 09:26 PM)JonLaw Wrote:
(08-24-2016, 01:25 AM)taramarie Wrote: Just a little interesting post on the subject. I neither believe nor disbelieve. Just merely find this topic interesting. Btw if i saw those black human like figures I'd shit the hospital bed.

And here's a neat trick with that one that I'll bet you didn't know.

If you are with a dying person who tells you that they were "visited" by someone who you thought was still alive, well....guess what?

They're dead.  

They died without you learning about it.

I did know actually
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(05-29-2016, 09:58 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(05-27-2016, 12:52 AM)taramarie Wrote: http://anonhq.com/empirical-evidence-res...ife-death/
http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/67...king-study

Thought

None of this confirms an afterlife.  All it confirms is that a dying brain, or a brain thinks it is dying undergoes certain hallucinations.  All of the states indicated can result from being revived from cardiac arrest, but could just as easily be experienced through taking drugs or through an epileptic seizure.

Out of body experiences are reported frequently by epileptics.  Seeing these bright light tunnels and so forth have also been induced through drugs.

I'm pretty sure that the problem with the "hallucination" theory relates to the fact that some of these people without brain function were kind of "hallucinating" things that were kind of actually happening in the real world at the moment.

From the article:

"Furthermore, the detailed recollections of visual awareness in this case were consistent with verified events."

And yes, you can get simulacra of all kinds of things with epilepsy and drugs. 

The point of this study is that you can record visual events without the need of a brain.  I don't think they cared so much if there were "bright light tunnels" or "feeling out being out of the body."

So, it's true that this does not "confirm that there is an afterlife."

It does confirms that you don't need electrical activity in your brain to see things and then remember what you saw.

I can attest to seeing this. Very often a religious figure from one's heritage appears. Of course I would be astonished to see the Buddha.

Also seen are loved ones from that person's past. Do pets appear?

Question: what happens to those who die well short of old age, especially children who may have encountered few persons (especially their contemporaries) who have 'gone to the Great Beyond'?
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(11-07-2016, 12:27 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:

I can attest to seeing this. Very often a religious figure from one's heritage appears. Of course I would be astonished to see the Buddha.

Question: what happens to those who die well short of old age, especially children who may have encountered few persons (especially their contemporaries) who have 'gone to the Great Beyond'?

Regarding pets I have actually been woken up by something jumping on the bed and walking up the bed then settling down beside me. Have not experienced it often but it has been rather out of it.

I cannot answer the question below that. I can only go by my experiences alone as I do trust what I have personally experienced with my own senses. I would not even know what this "great beyond" is. I know what I see, hear and feel. I only consider it to be another form of energy.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

I don't know, but it's possible that individualized souls have many lives, so young children may encounter some of the still-dead relatives they just left on the other side to come here. Then again, time is different "over there," so just when folks do what may be quite flexible.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

I don't have any data on this one, whatsoever.  So, I'm absolutely certain that I don't know.

I now have a thesis for a Psy.D. or a Ph.D.
(11-07-2016, 12:41 AM)taramarie Wrote:

I cannot answer the question below that. I can only go by my experiences alone as I do trust what I have personally experienced with my own senses. I would not even know what this "great beyond" is. I know what I see, hear and feel. I only consider it to be another form of energy.

One important thing to keep in mind with your senses is that your senses can sometimes not differentiate from simulacra and something real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBNHPk-Lnkk

This is particularly true in discussions such as this one.
(11-08-2016, 01:20 PM)JonLaw Wrote:

One important thing to keep in mind with your senses is that your senses can sometimes not differentiate from simulacra and something real.

Yes well aware of that. But it cannot explain physical things that have happened and those things cannot be explained away.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(11-08-2016, 02:05 PM)taramarie Wrote:

Yes well aware of that. But it cannot explain physical things that have happened and those things cannot be explained away.

My point was not that things should be "explained away".

My point was that human senses are never completely trustworthy due to the underlying physical structure, neurology, and cognitive systems.

Do you mind offering a couple specific examples of the "physical things" you are referring to?
(11-09-2016, 06:47 PM)JonLaw Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 02:05 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-07-2016, 12:27 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: I can attest to seeing this. Very often a religious figure from one's heritage appears. Of course I would be astonished to see the Buddha.

My point was not that things should be "explained away".

My point was that human senses are never completely trustworthy due to the underlying physical structure, neurology, and cognitive systems.

Do you mind offering a couple specific examples of the "physical things" you are referring to?
Of course and I completely agree. I do believe in science first and foremost.

Ok couple of examples... I have gone to bed and woken, sheets bloodied and looked in the mirror to find a distinct hand mark larger than my hand with the fingers pointing towards the head on my back. I cannot bend that way. Blood came from deep scratches all the way up and down my back. Again I cannot bend that way. We have a bathroom door that sticks to the point you have to kick the door in. It has opened by itself and shut itself. The way the door is situated there is no possibility for a cause of draft and everyone in the house mentioned they were elsewhere at the time. We also had the tap turned on full blast and flooded the kitchen. I was the only person in the house. The tap was off two hours prior. I was in bed reading the whole time. It was reported to have been turned and was full blast. Trust me, I would love an explanation for all of these things.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.