Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A voice from the homelander generation
https://www.facebook.com/ThinkingHumanit...691511319/
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

She has a lot to teach us. Stop the wars and be nice to each other. So needed at this time. I am proud of her.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(05-27-2016, 03:32 PM)taramarie Wrote: https://www.facebook.com/ThinkingHumanit...691511319/

Beautiful thoughts.
Thanks for posting.
 … whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Phil 4:8 (ESV)
(05-27-2016, 04:30 PM)radind Wrote:
(05-27-2016, 03:32 PM)taramarie Wrote: https://www.facebook.com/ThinkingHumanit...691511319/

Beautiful thoughts.
Thanks for posting.

No problem. They deserve to be heard.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

The oldest of these kids are going into their early teens, so we can expect them to be expressing themselves with some nearly-mature language. Unless one is a school teacher one does not really know them in numbers. I'd like to have some gig in school as a substitute teacher so that I can get to know a generation that I( really do not know.

How much are they like the Silent at such age? Are they as compliant? As sentimental? Are they as over-protected? Do they have a taste for whimsy as did the Silent of such age?

It's about time that we start hearing their voices.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(05-28-2016, 11:24 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: The oldest of these kids are going into their early teens, so we can expect them to be expressing themselves with some nearly-mature language. Unless one is a school teacher one does not really know them in numbers. I'd like to have some gig in school as a substitute teacher so that I can get to know a generation that I( really do not know.

How much are they like the Silent at such age? Are they as compliant? As sentimental? Are they as over-protected? Do they have a taste for whimsy as did the Silent of such age?

So far, this neo silent is showing characteristics my own silent grandparents strongly emphasize which are peace making characteristics....(hearing both sides and calming down) as well as "niceness" shared between people. Not surprised as look at the world they are growing up in. So much rising anger. So much nastiness. I do love how this new generation is rebelling against it. I adore this wee kid. They will do great things. They are so needed at this time.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(05-29-2016, 12:56 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(05-28-2016, 11:24 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: The oldest of these kids are going into their early teens, so we can expect them to be expressing themselves with some nearly-mature language. Unless one is a school teacher one does not really know them in numbers. I'd like to have some gig in school as a substitute teacher so that I can get to know a generation that I( really do not know.

So far, this neo silent is showing characteristics my own silent grandparents strongly emphasize which are peace making characteristics....(hearing both sides and calming down) as well as "niceness" shared between people. Not surprised as look at the world they are growing up in. So much rising anger. So much nastiness. I do love how this new generation is rebelling against it. I adore this wee kid. They will do great things. They are so needed at this time.

The pattern:

Every generation seems to meet the deficiencies of their world.

Idealist youth are children when the culture becomes bland and complacent.

Reactive youth are children when enterprise fades and people sacrifice practicality to the lust to rush the realization of grand schemes.

Civic youth are children when social organization reaches its nadir, when religious and political life go crazy, and when a bias forms against science.

Adaptive youth as children find too many raw spots of uncivility for their liking.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(05-30-2016, 03:17 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(05-29-2016, 12:56 AM)taramarie Wrote:

The pattern:

Every generation seems to meet the deficiencies of their world.

Idealist youth are children when the culture becomes bland and complacent.

Reactive youth are children when enterprise fades and people sacrifice practicality to the lust to rush the realization of grand schemes.

Civic youth are children when social organization reaches its nadir, when religious and political life go crazy, and when a bias forms against science.

Adaptive youth as children find too many raw spots of uncivility for their liking.

Well aware of the pattern. Btw boy do i fit with the civic way of thinking as well as a siding of adaptive.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Also, you should remember that each generation contributes its strengths during different times of their life cycle:

Idealists in rising adulthood tear down social institutions and infuse culture with spiritual energy. They settle down and then later preside over a secular crisis with principled vision in elderhood.

Reactives in rising adulthood are wild risk takers, then in midlife, during the secular crisis, settle down to become the pragmatic middle-managers between the moral Idealists and the Civic workers. They are pushed out of power fairly prematurely by the midlife Civics.

Civics in rising adulthood are the team playing "muscle" during the crisis, and in midlife, post-crisis, go on to rebuild the institutions and infrastructure. They tend to be rationalists and secular, and outer-driven rather than inward looking. They become the focus of the fury of the next youth awakening.

Adaptives, during the crisis are smothered children. They are obedient and well-educated young adults, who go on to calibrate and balance the institutions and infrastructure built up by the Civics. They first emulate their Civic elders, then later on, as the next Idealist awakening takes hold, emulate their juniors. Being a recessive generation like the Reactives, they do not tend to hold on to power long, if they ever gain it at all. They interject nuance, fairness, and compromise.

Since the GI generation, with people living longer, S/H has noted a "new" life cycle of "Post-Elderhood." It will be interesting to see if this has any effect on the dynamic.
(02-19-2017, 07:55 PM)ImpalaMama Wrote: Also, you should remember that each generation contributes its strengths during different times of their life cycle:

Idealists in rising adulthood tear down social institutions and infuse culture with spiritual energy. They settle down and then later preside over a secular crisis with principled vision in elderhood.

Reactives in  rising adulthood are wild risk takers, then in midlife, during the secular crisis, settle down to become the pragmatic middle-managers between the moral Idealists and the Civic workers. They are pushed out of power fairly prematurely by the midlife Civics.

Civics in rising adulthood are the team playing "muscle" during the crisis, and in midlife, post-crisis, go on to rebuild the institutions and infrastructure.  They tend to be rationalists and secular, and outer-driven rather than inward looking.  They become the focus of the fury of the next youth awakening.

Adaptives, during the crisis are smothered children. They are obedient and well-educated young adults, who go on to calibrate and balance the institutions and infrastructure built up by the Civics. They first emulate their Civic elders, then later on, as the next Idealist awakening takes hold, emulate their juniors. Being a recessive generation like the Reactives, they do not tend to hold on to power long, if they ever gain it at all.  They interject nuance, fairness, and compromise.

Since the GI generation, with people  living longer,  S/H has noted a "new" life cycle of "Post-Elderhood." It will be interesting to see if this has any effect on the dynamic.
Well aware of the basics.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(02-19-2017, 07:55 PM)ImpalaMama Wrote: Since the GI generation, with people  living longer,  S/H has noted a "new" life cycle of "Post-Elderhood." It will be interesting to see if this has any effect on the dynamic.

I was talking to my 1930 cohort Silent grandmother the other day and that ever since the election she has had a deep sense of fear inside her of a kind she has not felt since she was a girl.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
If anything, post-elderhood might mitigate some of the excesses of a time. Silent post-elders might squelch some of the excess of fanaticism in a Crisis Very old Idealists might take some appropriate jabs at the complacency of a High. Civics might infuse some political structure (the GI's certainly did) into an Unraveling. They might also extend an era by preventing needful change in a time.

So look at the last eras from the Roaring 'Twenties to now. I recognize the Gilded as a Civic generation* (their leadership acted like part of a Civic generation, at least in the North) whose departure from public life (in part due to their horrid health habits, including obesity and really-heavy smoking) unleashed some of the social chaos and moralizing characteristic of the tru8ly-awful and destructive time. Progressives in their 80s and 90s (and few people then lived that long) might have done nothing to stop the ferocity of the American response to the Axis, but they might have opposed the incarceration of Japanese citizens and residents in the western USA. One can only imagine what Will Rogers would have done on the medium of television in his seventies... and one can only imagine how meatier the culture might have been. Imagine Bela Bartok living into his seventies. Had America appreciated the worldly pragmatism of the Lost instead of sending them to the nursing home as soon as they became inconvenient it might have mitigated the worst tendencies of the 1960s counterculture.

The transition from Civic behavior from very old Gilded* to the young GI made a messy time in America. A similar time between the vanishing of the Progressive generation to the Silent as an Adaptive voice was prone to excess. The absence of Idealist influence between the Missionary and Boom generations made America excessively smug and complacent and may have allowed a stormier Awakening Era than was necessary. The absence of Lost influence in family life ensured that Generation X would be tossed around like leaves in a strong wind, only for Generation X to stop that when they started having babies as adults.

*Howe and Strauss treat the Gilded as a Reactive generation due to their early upbringing of neglect and exploitation, only to recognize that the Civil War pushed them into a Reactive-Civic hybrid with secularism, long political tenure, an indulgent style of child-raising, a love for doing things on a big scale, and much social cohesion. But they were much more materialistic than the typical Civic, and they took personal affronts personally. They did not feather their nests well unless spectacularly successful, so they endured Reactive-style hardship in old age, much in contrast to the Republican generation of Thomas Jefferson and the GI generation of John F. Kennedy.

(02-20-2017, 08:15 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: If anything, post-elderhood might mitigate some of the excesses of a time. Silent post-elders might squelch some of the excess of fanaticism in a Crisis Very old Idealists might take some appropriate jabs at the complacency of a High. Civics might infuse some political structure (the GI's certainly did) into an Unraveling.  They might also extend an era by preventing needful change in a time.

So look at the last eras from the Roaring 'Twenties to now. I recognize the Gilded as a Civic generation* (their leadership acted like part of a Civic generation, at least in the North) whose departure from public life (in part due to their horrid health habits, including obesity and really-heavy smoking) unleashed some of the social chaos and moralizing characteristic of the tru8ly-awful and destructive time. Progressives in their 80s and 90s  (and few people then lived that long) might have done nothing to stop the ferocity of the American response to the Axis, but they might have opposed the incarceration of Japanese citizens and residents in the western USA. One can only imagine what Will Rogers would have done on the medium of television in his seventies... and one can only imagine how meatier the culture might have been. Imagine Bela Bartok living into his seventies. Had America appreciated the worldly pragmatism of the Lost instead of sending them to the nursing home as soon as they became inconvenient it might have mitigated the worst tendencies of the 1960s counterculture.  

The transition from Civic behavior from very old Gilded* to the young GI made a messy time in America. A similar time between the vanishing of the Progressive generation to the Silent as an Adaptive voice was prone to excess. The absence of Idealist influence between the Missionary and Boom generations made America excessively smug and complacent and may have allowed a stormier Awakening Era than was necessary. The absence of Lost influence in family life ensured that Generation X would be tossed around like leaves in a strong wind, only for Generation X to stop that when they started having babies as adults.

*Howe and Strauss treat the Gilded as a Reactive generation due to their early upbringing of neglect and exploitation, only to recognize that the Civil War pushed them into a Reactive-Civic hybrid with secularism, long political tenure, an indulgent style of child-raising,  a love for doing things on a big scale, and much social cohesion. But they were much more materialistic than the typical Civic, and they took personal affronts personally.  They did not feather their nests well unless spectacularly successful, so they endured Reactive-style hardship in old age, much in contrast to the Republican generation of Thomas Jefferson and   the GI generation of John F. Kennedy.

Check your DM's please. Suzanne and i are trying to get hold of you. If you want to be in the group we have to be able to get hold of you.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Activist Generation? Anthony '58 4 322 08-13-2019, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Ghost
  Snapshot of the Homeland generation today sbarrera 22 1,656 07-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  "I am 18. I belong to the massacre generation." gabrielle 1 736 11-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Last Post: David Horn
Video Styx on Generation Zed. Kinser79 2 1,592 08-31-2017, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kinser79
  Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? Dan '82 26 15,050 08-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Kinser79
  Donald Trump will live on in the new Reactive Generation Einzige 16 7,041 11-15-2016, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green