Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music that gives me goosebumps. (sorry Eric, it is not your type of music I am sure).
This is a place to share music that has given you the shivers. Here are a few of mine. I find them beautiful and thoughtful.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

I love the story, Wuthering Heights. It is neo gothic is nature and so beautifully written. Cliff Richard really did a wonderful job bringing it to life. Not big on his acting skills however his soft toned voice is perfect for the story.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

This one is debated to be one of the last songs played on the Titanic while it was sinking. I had two relatives on that ship so this one is hauntingly beautiful to me for many reasons.

Songe d'Autmone (Dream of Autumn) was composed by Archibald Joyce (25 May 1873 to 22 March 1963). Joyce, popularly known as the "English Waltz King", had considerable success in England with this piece which was included in the repertoire for White Star Line orchestra's.

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/automne.html
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

And finally one from Aotearoa from Oceania; a Maori band that mixes traditional with modern.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Video 
Quite possibly the creepiest piece of classical music (A Night on Bald Mountain/A Night on Bare Mountain):

Nearly perfect background music... for a KKK rally and night ride.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(05-31-2016, 01:15 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Quite possibly the creepiest piece of classical music (A Night on Bald Mountain/A Night on Bare Mountain):

Nearly perfect background music... for a KKK rally and night ride.

Oh yeah definitely That is one spirited and dramatic piece.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(05-31-2016, 10:56 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: My favorites among the ones you posted are Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" (reminds me of a particular trip to Polynesia 30 years ago) and of course the one from Aotearoa. Although I am not "Pacific Islander" I definitely grew up with many people from such cultures and always was attracted. My father had a theory about why such cultures are attractive. He used to say that while in many ways such cultures are "macho" (e.g. the warrior psyche and ethos, etc), they are also much more in touch with the sacred feminine than Western ones are.

Not quite sure about a "sacred feminine" characteristic. Did he explain what he meant by that? I was in the kapa haka when i was a child and loved the Maori dances we were taught. But boy does it make you sore with all the slapping and that includes the poi. But i ended up being very good with the poi. Pretty cool what you can do with it and the effect is wicked when people around you are also doing the same poi rhythm with you. It is a dance in its own right that is sort of like a beat (like a drum) but very different.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(05-31-2016, 02:36 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(05-31-2016, 02:19 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(05-31-2016, 10:56 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: My favorites among the ones you posted are Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" (reminds me of a particular trip to Polynesia 30 years ago) and of course the one from Aotearoa. Although I am not "Pacific Islander" I definitely grew up with many people from such cultures and always was attracted. My father had a theory about why such cultures are attractive. He used to say that while in many ways such cultures are "macho" (e.g. the warrior psyche and ethos, etc), they are also much more in touch with the sacred feminine than Western ones are.

Not quite sure about a "sacred feminine" characteristic. Did he explain what he meant by that? I was in the kapa haka when i was a child and loved the Maori dances we were taught. But boy does it make you sore with all the slapping and that includes the poi. But i ended up being very good with the poi. Pretty cool what you can do with it and the effect is wicked when people around you are also doing the same poi rhythm with you. It is a dance in its own right that is sort of like a beat (like a drum) but very different.

Sacred feminine would encompass things like care of ecosystems, brotherly love, care of children, an animist sensibility of spiritual awareness, things of that nature.

Regarding poi. Funny how the same word means different things on different island chains. In the Hawaiian Islands "poi" is a sort of mush made from taro root. I happen to like it but it's definitely an acquired taste.

Ah I see. Yes that is definitely the maori which many of us European pacific islanders admire. It is part of our shared culture here so you can imagine it would have fit right in with our hippies. It is always a big topic here. Keeping NZ green. Shame not all of our politicians care about that issue.

Haha yes the poi is definitely not a food here! That would be just considered kai here. This is what poi means here. Women generally are the ones who use the poi while the men chant and take on the masculine defensive role. It is impressive.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  music from the year you were 21 gabrielle 7 2,917 07-28-2017, 01:54 AM
Last Post: taramarie
  Saeculumnal Overlaps in Music: What's next? Lemanic 3 1,658 05-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Lemanic
  American Popular Music 1840-2013 GeekyCynic 2 803 04-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Last Post: gabrielle