Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video shows 13-year-old buy a gun on first try
First tell me how many minors in Virginia purchase rifles and then use those rifles to commit lethal acts against another. Sorry but I'm not very big on knee jerk reactions.

Hell you didn't even know Virginia firearm law (the state you live in) before whipping up some froth (nor did CNN bother to mention Virginia law in their story). Why would I be interested in supporting your desire to legislate from a position of ignorance?
The single despot stands out in the face of all men, and says: I am the State: My will is law: I am your master: I take the responsibility of my acts: The only arbiter I acknowledge is the sword: If any one denies my right, let him try conclusions with me. -- Lysander Spooner
Yep he is serious. Those kinds of people that want to give guns to kids especially little kids can stay the heck away from my country. Bloody insane. This is why my country has laws against this.

Standard New Zealand firearms licence
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(08-16-2016, 09:43 PM)Copperfield Wrote: First tell me how many minors in Virginia purchase rifles and then use those rifles to commit lethal acts against another. Sorry but I'm not very big on knee jerk reactions.

Hell you didn't even know Virginia firearm law (the state you live in) before whipping up some froth (nor did CNN bother to mention Virginia law in their story). Why would I be interested in supporting your desire to legislate from a position of ignorance?

A few years ago, a story on guns confiscated from New York criminals found that a huge percentage of the guns had been bought in Virginia, which has had lax gun laws.

Does anyone have a problem with a federal law prohibiting the transportation of firearms into a state contrary to the laws if the state? Such a provision with respect to alcoholic beverages exists in the Constitutional amendment repealing Prohibition.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

And that would stop the transportation of guns across state lines how exactly? (hint: it's already illegal yet still happening; shocking!)
The single despot stands out in the face of all men, and says: I am the State: My will is law: I am your master: I take the responsibility of my acts: The only arbiter I acknowledge is the sword: If any one denies my right, let him try conclusions with me. -- Lysander Spooner
(08-24-2016, 07:27 PM)Copperfield Wrote: And that would stop the transportation of guns across state lines how exactly? (hint: it's already illegal yet still happening; shocking!)

I think the problem here Copperfield is the notion that some liberals, particularly Boomer liberals, have that criminals care about following laws.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(08-24-2016, 11:02 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(08-24-2016, 07:27 PM)Copperfield Wrote: And that would stop the transportation of guns across state lines how exactly? (hint: it's already illegal yet still happening; shocking!)

I think the problem here Copperfield is the notion that some liberals, particularly Boomer liberals, have that criminals care about following laws.

Europe is discovering this little detail the hard way.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(08-25-2016, 12:44 AM)Galen Wrote:

Indeed. Black market participants even manage to answer the age old fool's question, "But who will build the roads?!?"

And that's just for fruit.
(08-30-2016, 02:53 PM)Copperfield Wrote:
(08-25-2016, 12:44 AM)Galen Wrote:

Indeed. Black market participants even manage to answer the age old fool's question, "But who will build the roads?!?"

And that's just for fruit.

I understand they also do tunnels pretty well so mountains should prove to be no problem as well.  The submarines are still a bit crude but I am certain that they will get better.

It is truly amazing to watch markets work even in the face of massive state efforts to wipe them out. Big Grin
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
One thing you have to understand is that the way law in America is organized, suffrage is closely connected to the right to own a gun and the right to serve on a jury. Groups of people who may not own guns (such as the mentally insane or convicted felons) are the same groups of people who may not vote.

When the Fifteenth Amendment gave African-Americans the vote African-Americans gained to right to own guns. When the Nineteenth Amendment granted women suffrage women could now legally own guns in every state. When the Twenty-sixth Amendment lowered the voting age from 21 to 18 then 18-to-20-year-olds gained the right to own guns. Since New Zealand law I believe is also based on Anglo-American law, the gun ownership laws probably work the same way there.

Considering the voting age is 18 in EVERY state it seems puzzling over why you have to be 21 to buy a Saturday-night special in most states or how Virginia lets you buy a rifle at 13. A gun is a gun, right?

I support lowering the voting age in America (as well as in other countries, besides the countries like Scotland and Argentina that have already done so) to 16. This would mean that 16- and 17-year-olds would now be able to own guns but it doesn't seem so scary if you consider that you used to have to be 21 to be the registered owner of a rifle and now 18-year-olds have been granted that legal power without a problem. I'm not a gun nut, I support a lower gun ownership age BECAUSE I support a lower voting age; I don't support a lower voting age SO 16-year-olds could now have AK-47's in their hands.

If any Commonwealth country ever lowers the voting age to 13 or 12 then 13-year-olds will be able to own guns too. But by then -- decades from now -- people will probably be comfortable will the idea of letting 13-year-olds vote and doing other "adult" things so the prospect of a 13-year-old owning a gun won't really scare people. -Craig

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Second raft of proposed gun law changes announced taramarie 32 2,085 01-19-2020, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Handmaid's Tale: TV series to air this year X_4AD_84 0 738 03-27-2017, 11:53 PM
Last Post: X_4AD_84
  Study Shows Helicopter Parents are Insane X_4AD_84 12 5,558 11-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kinser79
  Cop To African American Woman: Blacks Have "Violent Tendencies” (VIDEO) taramarie 2 1,449 07-23-2016, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Odin
  Gun violence makes an American rethink connections to home taramarie 0 757 07-16-2016, 10:48 PM
Last Post: taramarie