Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time to close this forum?
(12-09-2017, 05:12 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(12-09-2017, 01:02 AM)taramarie Wrote: I know you are the boomer and have aspergers. What encouraged the "novel" comment? I already know these things. My comment was from noticing he was stating these things in a negative light and attacking you unnecessarily in my opinion where I saw no need for it.

Kinser has said some nasty things to me and about me. Maybe he has transcended the potential for self pity for being gay and black to the extent that he can feel pity for nobody. He no more chose to be either black or gay than I chose Asperger's syndrome.

He may be repeating himself, and I may be responding in a way that becomes repetitive. I cannot remember when and how I said something. Just look at my number of posts! To be sure, many of these are one-time responses, especially on obituaries and other stories of breaking news.

Maybe I have the misguided belief that I can appeal to human decency and goodness as such are the norm in human  existence, and that rationality has an answer for practically everything.  OK -- maybe not everything, as in aesthetics. I cannot explain why I love Mozart and Matisse. Mental and moral pathology are both easy to break down into causes if one knows the causes. Yes, I am as artificial as anyone can be. Sometimes synthetic gems must substitute for real ones.

I know well how nasty I could be if I were my 'real' self. A synthetic diamond, I must assume, is more valuable than the graphite whence it is made.

Again I know. Tell him that. So I repeat my original question. 

"What encouraged the "novel" comment? To ME......I already know these things. My comment was from noticing he was stating these things in a negative light and attacking you unnecessarily in my opinion where I saw no need for it."

It sounds to me like you feel you need to say it to me as if I don't know. I do. This should be directed at Kinser.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(12-10-2017, 12:29 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(12-09-2017, 01:02 AM)taramarie Wrote: I know you are the boomer and have aspergers. What encouraged the "novel" comment? I already know these things. My comment was from noticing he was stating these things in a negative light and attacking you unnecessarily in my opinion where I saw no need for it.

Kinser has said some nasty things to me and about me. Maybe he has transcended the potential for self pity for being gay and black to the extent that he can feel pity for nobody. He no more chose to be either black or gay than I chose Asperger's syndrome.

He may be repeating himself, and I may be responding in a way that becomes repetitive. I cannot remember when and how I said something. Just look at my number of posts! To be sure, many of these are one-time responses, especially on obituaries and other stories of breaking news.

Maybe I have the misguided belief that I can appeal to human decency and goodness as such are the norm in human  existence, and that rationality has an answer for practically everything.  OK -- maybe not everything, as in aesthetics. I cannot explain why I love Mozart and Matisse. Mental and moral pathology are both easy to break down into causes if one knows the causes. Yes, I am as artificial as anyone can be. Sometimes synthetic gems must substitute for real ones.

I know well how nasty I could be if I were my 'real' self. A synthetic diamond, I must assume, is more valuable than the graphite whence it is made.

"What encouraged the "novel" comment? To ME......I already know these things. My comment was from noticing he was stating these things in a negative light and attacking you unnecessarily in my opinion where I saw no need for it."

It sounds to me like you feel you need to say it to me as if I don't know. I do. This should be directed at Kinser.

It could be that the formatting in this thread has become confusing.

Kinser -- you have a big gap in your ability to show empathy. It does not come easily for me[ because of Asperger's I must scrupulously cultivate good habits. I admit that you have a good job for being black and gay, two things that many people could hold against you without knowing that you are one or the other. I hope that I am much better than most white people on race relations, especially toward blacks, and I believe that I am as pro-gay as I can be without being gay.

I know what you were before you were a Trump supporter, and it implied a devotion to a cause far worse. I need not say what it is, except to remind you that you fit Eric Hoffer's True Believer very well.

With all the pointless frustrations that I have endured because I blundered my way through life, I have at least avoided lashing out. Maybe if I had taken a different route in college (philosophy major and psychology minor, or vice-versa, would have probably been best) or gotten some appropriate mentoring, I might have done much differently.

I am not an inherently nice person. I have had to choose a set of ethical values that  allow me to seem like a good person by nature. without becoming a sap. Of course that is far better than "I be bad". Asperger's makes one as much a tabula rasa as one can be on ethics. I chose to be good, and not lash out at institutions that have failed me badly. I could easily have become another 'Unabom' killer.

I chose good. Goodness usually pays off some, and badness leads to obvious sanctions, like prison.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool" -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, V.i

(12-10-2017, 09:18 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(12-10-2017, 12:29 AM)taramarie Wrote:

It could be that the formatting in this thread has become confusing.

Kinser -- you have a big gap in your ability to show empathy. It does not come easily for me[ because of Asperger's I must scrupulously cultivate good habits. I admit that you have a good job for being black and gay, two things that many people could hold against you without knowing that you are one or the other. I hope that I am much better than most white people on race relations, especially toward blacks, and I believe that I am as pro-gay as I can be without being gay.

I know what you were before you were a Trump supporter, and it implied a devotion to a cause far worse. I need not say what it is, except to remind you that you fit Eric Hoffer's True Believer very well.

With all the pointless frustrations that I have endured because I blundered my way through life, I have at least avoided lashing out. Maybe if I had taken a different route in college (philosophy major and psychology minor, or vice-versa, would have probably been best) or gotten some appropriate mentoring, I might have done much differently.

I am not an inherently nice person. I have had to choose a set of ethical values that  allow me to seem like a good person by nature. without becoming a sap. Of course that is far better than "I be bad". Asperger's makes one as much a tabula rasa as one can be on ethics. I chose to be good, and not lash out at institutions that have failed me badly. I could easily have become another 'Unabom' killer.

I chose good. Goodness usually pays off some, and badness leads to obvious sanctions, like prison.
Ok thank you. That is fair enough if you misunderstood. 

I was defending you. Peace.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

So ... Roy Moore and backlash?
No. Another nail in the coffin for "old school." Good riddance.
(Yesterday, 11:55 PM)nihilist moron Wrote: So ... Roy Moore and backlash?
No. Another nail in the coffin for "old school." Good riddance.

It amazes me how hard you work to misunderstand the concept of backlash.  Take the gun issue.  Nothing that's happened, no matter how horrific, has had a permanent effect on gun culture.  There's a period of horror followed very soon by a tribal backlash that pushes the horror to the side.  Today is the 5th anniversary of Sandy Hook, and nothing has happened ... nothing.

Roy Moore was a one-off ... or not.  We'll see.  I hope it's a precursor of real change, but it's far too early to know.  Case in point: 43% of Republican women still voted for him, and he's about as bad as it gets.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Dude, it was your example. Don't get annoyed with me that it didn't work.
I'm glad that the culture is changing. If you're not, that's sort of your problem.
P.S. Next time don't ask for my opinion if you don't really want to hear it and/or are only interested in starting a fight. Peace out.
(6 hours ago)nihilist moron Wrote: Dude, it was your example. Don't get annoyed with me that it didn't work.

I can't argue with that.  Examples work or they don't.

NM Wrote:I'm glad that the culture is changing.

I hope this is true.  I'm not convinced, but I'm hopeful.

NM Wrote:If you're not, that's sort of your problem.

H-m-m-m.  I thought that part was clear.  We need change, but change is hard.  Culture changes when it does, not when we want it to change.  

NM Wrote:P.S. Next time don't ask for my opinion if you don't really want to hear it and/or are only interested in starting a fight. Peace out.

OK, just one final comment, or link to be more accurate.  Opinions vary

This horse is now dead.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.