Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do we all of a sudden have spam threads?
This site needs an enema to remove Phyllispok. She has only three fewer threads started than I have... but I made them over the life of this site, and of course in good faith. To be sure, some went nowhere, but some are well populated.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(12-20-2019, 02:41 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: This site needs an enema  to remove Phyllispok. She has only three fewer threads started than I have... but I made them over the life of this site, and of course in good faith. To be sure, some went nowhere, but some are well populated.

It really gets on my nerve with having that many obnoxious attention whoring spam threads especially as it buries actual conversations.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(12-20-2019, 02:49 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 02:41 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: This site needs an enema  to remove Phyllispok. She has only three fewer threads started than I have... but I made them over the life of this site, and of course in good faith. To be sure, some went nowhere, but some are well populated.

It really gets on my nerve with having that many obnoxious attention whoring spam threads especially as it buries actual conversations.

It's the holidays, and Rags may be otherwise engaged.  It's a great argument for an additional moderator.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(12-20-2019, 06:59 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 02:49 AM)taramarie Wrote:

It's the holidays, and Rags may be otherwise engaged.  It's a great argument for an additional moderator.
Yeah I think a regular poster would be preferable. Doesn't matter to me who it is so long as they keep the spam threads in check. I would be ok with doing it though soon I probably wouldn't be able to be on here all that much given my partner will be coming to new Zealand to do the meet and greet of my family then we head off to Slovakia and that will be really busy building our first "nest" together. New career and new country, life, and home, I will be very busy. So I ask that there be two mods, who are here regularly to monitor spam threads as that one, is particularly nasty and it buries actual conversations. Total nuisance.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Oh great, a million more spam by that phyll asshat.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Horray! phyllasshat has been removed. Thank goodness its finally sorted.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Enema given; blockage now in the septic tank.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

We have another scum spammer. I have reported. Hopefully its sorted soon as this one is turning out as bad as the other one.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Clean-up, aisle SPAM!

"weareacouple" under Special Topics.
Which demonstrates the nontechnical limitations of the recent Information Revolution. Constraints imposed by the uglier aspects of human nature.
(01-09-2020, 12:57 PM)Tim Randal Walker Wrote: "weareacouple" under Special Topics.

I would like to see him clean up his act. Watch him closely. Non-artistic nudity is not allowed on this Forum. He is provocative on issues, but he is close to the line. Ban if he shows something inapt.

"Tfomasheick".
HerbertCub has dozens of one-topic spam threads clogging this Forum, making navigation tricky at best. This may constitute the infamous denial-of-service attack.

Solution: denial of access!

(09-23-2020, 10:41 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: HerbertCub has dozens of one-topic spam threads clogging this Forum, making navigation tricky at best. This may constitute the infamous denial-of-service attack.    

Solution: denial of access!

Here's a work around:
  1. Select View New Posts at the top of the page
  2. Click on the column header Replies, which will move all active threads to the top
  3. Continue with the threads you wish to see.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
We have a Russian spammer flooding the Forums with links to movies "free to watch"... which probably means pirated. I checked a translation of a common word "smotret" in his links, and it leads to that conclusion.

How do we solve the spam bomb, when Rags hasn't been here for almost three months? We desperately need another authorized moderator!
We have had someone spamming the threads, including someone offering forged passports, academic certificates, immigration documents, drivers' licenses, and even counterfeit currency. Anyone who deals in these is committing a serious crime, and anyone who buys and uses these is at risk of severe consequences -- including prison time.  

This is simply about using a false passport in the United States:

Quote:What is Passport Fraud?

Passport fraud is a federal crime and not one taken lightly by the U.S. government. Passport fraud is an illegal means by when an individual gains citizenship in another country by forging a passport or falsifying other legal documents to obtain a passport.

Since August 2007, the U.S. has been issuing only e-passports, which have a computer chip embedded in the back cover containing a digital photograph and other biometric information.  Although some technology experts say this information is easy to copy, this technology should reduce future forgery.

Passport fraud crimes include:

Issuance by a Consular Officer without Authority;
False Use of Passport;
Misuse of Passport;
Safe Conduct Violation; and
Fraudulent Obtaining of Visas and other Entry Documents.

How are Passports Typically Forged?

There are numerous ways to forge a passport to gain entry into the United States. A forger may steal a passport, then erase and reprint information. A passport forger might also obtain a passport with a pre-printed number but no biographical information from a corrupt government official at a U.S. embassy.

A passport forger may also obtain a valid US passport by using a fraudulent name and other information. Furthermore, a forger could steal a valid U.S. Passport and assume that person’s identity.
However, with increased security measures it’s becoming harder to successfully forge a passport.

What are the Elements of Passport Fraud?
The elements of passport fraud include the following:

Forgery: The crime of seeking to enter the US with a fake, forged, or improper passport is addressed by the Immigration and Naturalization Act (INA) as a "no valid passport" charge under section 212(a)(26).  Under this section, an immigrant is denied entry when the passport does not show the person’s correct identity and nationality.

Fraud or Misrepresentation: The next requirement for inadmissibility at the time of entry is fraud or misrepresentation. For example, a visa obtained by deception or an attempted entry through fraud is equivalent to having no visa at all. The fraud has to be regarding material fact, that is, a fact that if revealed would have barred entry. If the passport was obtained through the use of false information in the application process, then the passport holder has committed fraud.

Knowledge of Misrepresentation: The government only has to establish that the immigrant knew that the information on the passport is false. The government does not have to prove why the immigrant used a false passport or put false information on the passport.

Intent: The passport user had intent to commit the crime of passport fraud and to enter the country using illegal means.

What Happens If an Immigrant Tries To Enter the U.S. With a Forged or Stolen Passport?

After detaining immigrants and performing background checks, authorities may give the immigrant the option of catching the next plane back to their country. Immigrants may seek asylum, in which case an immigration court before deportation may hear their stories. Their biographical information will be retained, and depending on the circumstances, they may be excluded from the US for a certain period of time.

What If the Passport Holder is an American Citizen?

Using a forged or stolen passport is a crime, which applies to American citizens as well as non-citizens. However, unlike non-citizens, the government can only revoke a citizen’s passport after a hearing.

What are the Consequences of Passport Forgery?

Passport forgery is a serious offense that can carry penalties of imprisonment and heavy fines. In addition to charges for forgery, you can also be charged with other offenses such as identity theft and fraud for using the passport to travel, as identification, or to apply for visas and other documents. Common penalties for a passport fraud conviction are:

Fines up to $250,000;
Sentence up to 10 years in prison;
Removed from the country;
Banned from entering the country for at least five years; and
A permanent record of fraud within the country.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/a...he-us.html

...and I can only imagine the consequences for using a false US passport in China, India, or Japan. (Japan treats criminal offenders about like China treats political offenders). Customs officials everywhere know what a US passport looks like and are alert to any deviations such as misspellings, wrong fonts, wrong color, wrong watermarks, etc.

For the safety of readers of this site, we need the offender removed. 

Using counterfeit currency is itself a serious crime, even if the counterfeit currency is of another country. Counterfeit passports? Forged passports get one a quick trip to prison because customs authorities assume the worst of anyone with a forged passport (espionage? terrorism? drug trafficking?). It is safe to assume that about every customs official knows what a genuine US passport looks like, and any deviation from that in what one offers as a passport suggests criminality.

How do we resolve this? It's impossible to assert control. It has to be granted by someone with the authority to do that, and Dan the Webmaster hasn't been seen or heard from for years. If Rags returns, I hope he can pick a second.
Give me the authority, even if temporary, and the spammmers go.