Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do we all of a sudden have spam threads?
They are back.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(05-15-2017, 05:44 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(05-15-2017, 05:32 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: They are back.

I also reported. I think it may be a bot, as 3 individual user names but all very similar in format came in. Not only the user name but other attributes for each user appeared to have been computer generated.

Hope it's not the ransomware.

Yeah, really.  The NSA's screwed  the pooch big time.  I wish Microsoft could sue their asses off. Let it be known that keeping exploits private and not contacting the vendor of said exploits should be criminal negligence. Cool
---Value Added Cool
I also notice that most of the originators of those spam posts use the handles ?apedOZ, with the question marka substitute for a meaningless letter.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

I had health issue that kept me away, nothing major but I wasn't able watch the site.
They are back again, and this time mostly about shoes.

...If I had a blog I would have a place for 'spam' threads. That place would be classified ads. If you want to hire the sorts of people who read my blog, then buy an ad offering employment. If you thought that my readers are the sorts who might want to buy camping gear or rent a camp site because I plug natural wonders, then buy a classified ad. If I discussed music in an enticing way, then maybe someone might plug his music-marketing service.

Would I have a problem? Maybe a technical one, and I could of course reject the ads that read "Russian ladies want American men as companions" or offer entry to a Ponzi scheme.

Honest people have no cause for shame in admitting how they make money. Newspapers have always thrived on subscriptions, advertising, and sale of legible supplements (like 100th anniversary editions on JFK).

Honest people have no problem in admitting how they make their money.

They're ba-a-a-a-ck!

They're ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ck!!!!

We have another spammer seeming to specialize in ghost-writing and school papers... he seems to be hijacking the Forum. He needs to be removed with extreme prejudice if this Forum is to be navigable.

And his IP blocked.
I was sick and away from the forum for a couple of days, I got rid of him.
Good riddance! He must have been a bot.

More spamming going on in the "Announcements" section, by a user called toilikkk, or whatever.
Dan, consider hiring someone for monitoring spam threads. It is out of control at the moment.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(12-21-2017, 01:46 PM)taramarie Wrote: Dan, consider hiring someone for monitoring spam threads. It is out of control at the moment.

We're a free service. I don't think that 'hiring' is in the cards. We need a volunteer.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(12-21-2017, 02:10 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(12-21-2017, 01:46 PM)taramarie Wrote: Dan, consider hiring someone for monitoring spam threads. It is out of control at the moment.

We're a free service. I don't think that 'hiring' is in the cards. We need a volunteer.

Yes hiring didn't mean paying. I never said that.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.