Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Aging of X
Tongue 
I just saw something about Henry Rollins (1961 cohort). It reminded me that in just a bit more than 90 days, the oldest Xers will hit 56.

I'm only a few steps behind that. Mid next year I will hit 54. The last year of the vaunted "35 - 54" age bracket. The following year, marketers will view me increasingly as a curmudgeonly tightwad who is adverse to accepting new music, new trends, etc. Of course, barring some unforeseen life changer, that will not actually happen to me when I hit 55 in 2018. Being in a state of permanent arrested development I am a living example of 30 being the new 18, and 50 being the new 30. These days, the Full Retirement Age here in the US is, I believe, 67 years old for anyone born after 1960. 67 is the new 45. Therefore, sorry, most will not be able to retire at FRA!

Tongue
#Leach2020
#Pence2017
#ProsecuteTreason
#HUAC2.0
#RealNationalism
#NaziPunksFOff

Mark 13:22 - "For there shall rise false Christs and false prophets, and they shall give signs and wonders, to seduce, if possible, also the chosen."

(09-30-2016, 05:14 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: I just saw something about Henry Rollins (1961 cohort). It reminded me that in just a bit more than 90 days, the oldest Xers will hit 56.

I'm only a few steps behind that. Mid next year I will hit 54. The last year of the vaunted "35 - 54" age bracket.

Double nickel for me, man.

---Value Added Cool
(09-30-2016, 06:56 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(09-30-2016, 05:14 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: I just saw something about Henry Rollins (1961 cohort). It reminded me that in just a bit more than 90 days, the oldest Xers will hit 56.

I'm only a few steps behind that. Mid next year I will hit 54. The last year of the vaunted "35 - 54" age bracket.

Double nickel for me, man.

Reminds me of a wild night some 23 years ago at Cabo Wabo - it was the Red Rocker's birthday. He had the whole band there with him, so, yes, a totally off the books, unofficial, Van Halen small venue show. I don't know who was drunker, me, Hagar or Anthony. I'll bet it was Anthony, who has been seen many times with a bottle of Jack on stage. Now, the Van Halen brothers, as wild as they sometimes act, are, while not teetotalers, much less prone to that sort of thing. On the quiet side of Eddie, I had the pleasure of a really great small venue show during the 80s, where he played jazz and classical guitar duets with Alan Holdsworth.
#Leach2020
#Pence2017
#ProsecuteTreason
#HUAC2.0
#RealNationalism
#NaziPunksFOff

Mark 13:22 - "For there shall rise false Christs and false prophets, and they shall give signs and wonders, to seduce, if possible, also the chosen."

The attitude I grown over the years toward ageing is that you just have to own it.  It's a good time.  You have all the accumulated knowledge and wisdom of a long life without the drooling and senility.

Middle Aged Man!
Mere days away from the oldest Xers turning 56 ... a sodden thought.

In Japan, adult diapers now outsell ones for babies.

We'll be there. Both as a generation and a nation.
#Leach2020
#Pence2017
#ProsecuteTreason
#HUAC2.0
#RealNationalism
#NaziPunksFOff

Damn Xers are one hell of a lot healthier than they said we would be. I'm 55 and I'm happy to be 55. I have the knowledge and wisdom that comes from the aging process, and I still have a youthful heart along with a keen interest in new things. I would NOT want to do my 20's and 30's over again that is for shit sure! My 20's were fun, but no thanks. My 40's were pretty good but I am really quite happy where I am right now.
There was never any good old days
They are today, they are tomorrow
It's a stupid thing we say
Cursing tomorrow with sorrow
       -- Eugene Hutz
I am in my 30s and I am happy to be in my 30s. Likewise happy to be where I am right now. Nothing wrong with being younger than 55.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Belated happy 56th birthday to the oldest Xers.

56 ... count 'em!

Oldtimer
#Leach2020
#Pence2017
#ProsecuteTreason
#HUAC2.0
#RealNationalism
#NaziPunksFOff

taramarie Wrote:I am in my 30s and I am happy to be in my 30s. Likewise happy to be where I am right now. Nothing wrong with being younger than 55.

Nobody said there was anything wrong with being younger than 55.

It was predicted that Xers would die out quick from burning the candle at both ends, etc.  and that prediction seems to have failed.  as a Gen Jones Xer, that makes me happy.

I have generally been happy at all stages of my life, however, as I age, I see the struggles I endured in my 20's and 30's and am not interested in going back and reliving those decades.
There was never any good old days
They are today, they are tomorrow
It's a stupid thing we say
Cursing tomorrow with sorrow
       -- Eugene Hutz
At the start of 2017...

Any surviving Lost turn at least 117 this year.
The youngest GIs turn 93 this year.
The youngest Silent turn 75 this year.
The youngest Boomers turn 57 this year.
The youngest X turn 36 this year.
The last people born in the 20th century turn 17 or 18 (depending on whether you put the cut-off between 1999 and 2000 or between 2000 and 2001) this year.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool" -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, V.i

(01-05-2017, 02:48 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: At the start of 2017...

Any surviving Lost turn at least 117 this year.
The youngest GIs turn 93 this year.
The youngest  Silent turn 75 this year.
The youngest Boomers turn 57  this year.
The youngest X turn 36 this year.
The last people born in the 20th century turn 17 or 18 (depending on whether you put the cut-off between 1999 and 2000 or between 2000 and 2001) this year.

(output from mic passed through serious distortion) "21st Century schizoid man!..... "
#Leach2020
#Pence2017
#ProsecuteTreason
#HUAC2.0
#RealNationalism
#NaziPunksFOff

Hey double nickel and double nickle + 1 Xers ... tell us what's it's like as you leave (or having already left) the 35 - 54 demo.

Oldtimer
#Leach2020
#Pence2017
#ProsecuteTreason
#HUAC2.0
#RealNationalism
#NaziPunksFOff

To quote Indiana Jones, it's not the years, it's the mileage...

For those of us on the leading edge of the X cohort, we've never really known anything but brief pauses in political and economic upheaval, and at the same time, steadily accelerating technological and medical advances.

When we were children, cancer was almost always a death sentence, organ failure only slightly less so. Today, thanks to the refinement of chemotherapy and radiation treatment, we're shocked when someone not in their eighth or ninth decade succumbs to cancer. We saw the same thing with the AIDS panic in our teens and 20's. In our 40's, we'd be frustrated when a doctor (usually Boomer or Silent) told us that we had to wait for our 50's to get knees and hips replaced, those joints often the casualties of our cohort's iconic modes of pre-driving transport, the skateboard, the ten-speed, and the moped.

At the same time, we've seen food costs plunge dramatically as a share of household income, partly from the increase in female participation in the business world, and partly from improvements in distribution and preservation, which radically cut the cost per calorie per meal. Compare that to the days of Hamburger Helper (debuting in 1971) and other "meal extenders". To my mind, that's the biggest contributor to the spread of obesity and Type 2 diabetes, with our aging close behind.
(01-27-2017, 10:54 AM)AarG Wrote: To quote Indiana Jones, it's not the years, it's the mileage...

For those of us on the leading edge of the X cohort, we've never really known anything but brief pauses in political and economic upheaval, and at the same time, steadily accelerating technological and medical advances.

When we were children, cancer was almost always a death sentence, organ failure only slightly less so. Today, thanks to the refinement of chemotherapy and radiation treatment, we're shocked when someone not in their eighth or ninth decade succumbs to cancer. We saw the same thing with the AIDS panic in our teens and 20's. In our 40's, we'd be frustrated when a doctor (usually Boomer or Silent) told us that we had to wait for our 50's to get knees and hips replaced, those joints often the casualties of our cohort's iconic modes of pre-driving transport, the skateboard, the ten-speed, and the moped.

At the same time, we've seen food costs plunge dramatically as a share of household income, partly from the increase in female participation in the business world, and partly from improvements in distribution and preservation, which radically cut the cost per calorie per meal. Compare that to the days of Hamburger Helper (debuting in 1971) and other "meal extenders". To my mind, that's the biggest contributor to the spread of obesity and Type 2 diabetes, with our aging close behind.

In addition to iconic modes of (street) transport we also self abused via snow boards (and for us remaining two stick people, fat "all mountain" skis), and mountain bikes / BMX (take your pick ... or go for both). Then, out on the water, a bit prior to the resurgence of the long board, we had our "gyro" style boards ... how many turns can one pack into a given wave? But dang, a board like that wipes out quick. Oh, and let's not forget, in the non transport realm, the mosh pit!

Beavisbutthead
#Leach2020
#Pence2017
#ProsecuteTreason
#HUAC2.0
#RealNationalism
#NaziPunksFOff

2002 ... damn ... 15 years ago. I was in my late 30s. Not a whole heck of a lot older than the oldest Millies now are.

Here's an "oldie" album from that year:

#Leach2020
#Pence2017
#ProsecuteTreason
#HUAC2.0
#RealNationalism
#NaziPunksFOff