Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Dictator Speech
I just remembered this speech and thought it was so relevant for the new 4T as it was as relevant for their 4T. Absolutely something to strive for. Absolutely hair raising. We are loosing our humanity as we were back then and need reminding by the great Charlie Chaplain. A fantastic Lost generation member.

Enjoy.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

The man known most for his silence had the most important thing to say.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Trump supporters take note.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(10-18-2016, 06:46 AM)Odin Wrote: Trump supporters take note.

America's 'Phooey' made promises that he could never keep and honored secret promises.

We have done worse than the Germans did: we elected a dictator. He has yet to fully consolidate power. But he has time and he has powerful accomplices. His accomplices are filthy rich or consummately ruthless.

...I once contemplated what the worst Idealist traits were -- and I saw in the ruthless, arrogance, and selfishness a perverse sense of entitlement. I once described a low-life Boomer (kidnapped an eight-year-old girl and treated her like a harem slave for over a decade) and saw an exploiter who insists upon being seen as a benefactor. Imagine that attitude in rich-and-powerful people. One need go back to a time when slave owners tried to convince us that those who exploited and abused their slaves were in fact benefactors to those slaves who would be unable to cope without the guidance of their masters. The defenders of slavery were not satisfied with having people recognize slavery as a necessary evil; people were expected to believe that slavery was a wonderful institution, especially for the slaves!

So the best thing for the poor, according to the exploiters of our time, is that they be made poorer and less secure so that they will do anything possible to survive at the terns of self-proclaimed benefactors who will sweat them from an early age  to an early death from hunger, cold, and exhaustion.

This, folks, creates the appeal of Marxism. Marxism does not succeed because it wins over the alienated intellectuals and impractical utopians. Marxism succeeds because it becomes relevant to exploited, humiliated workers who know that their capitalist masters know no bounds to greed or to economic cruelty. Capitalist depravity, where it seems otherwise beyond challenge, makes Marxism relevant to the people that Marxism allegedly stands for.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

[quote pid='25958' dateline='1495818289']
But so far the local cops are setting traps for drunk drivers and raiding meth labs. I can defend neither drunk driving nor meth. As a liberal I have no love for guns.  If I collected guns, they might be muskets (and not mass-manufactured AK 47's, AR-15s, or Uzis); if I hunted, I would have a well-maintained, locked-up deer rifle. But as a collector or a hunter I would still sacrifice the 'gun rights' of people who might want to use my gun in an armed robbery.

America is deeply divided -- and that goes for the military. There's a good reason for the streets around the White House and the Capitol being too thin to hold heavy commercial traffic. Streets suitable for heavy commercial traffic are unsuited for the deployment of tanks necessary for a coup.

As I see it the best preparation for that sort of chaos is a passport and a foreign language -- and being cash-rich and possession-poor.
[/quote]
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lynching Free Speech: The Intolerant State of America theory 6 1,679 02-02-2018, 05:46 PM
Last Post: theory
  State of the Union Speech, 2018 pbrower2a 1 596 01-30-2018, 10:57 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  What if government stinks at keeping us safe but is great at invading our privacy? nebraska 0 323 01-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 586 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
  Free speech is a concept unknown by politicians nebraska 0 354 12-31-2017, 11:23 AM
  Recent Assaults Against Freedom of Speech and the Press gabrielle 13 4,701 06-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Odin
  Alt Right vs Great Power Saec Nazi Symps X_4AD_84 13 6,317 05-18-2017, 04:18 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Backlash against Speech naf140230 29 6,231 07-22-2016, 03:20 PM
Last Post: taramarie
  Governor Mario Cuomo 1984 DNC Speech Dan '82 0 613 07-19-2016, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Dan '82
  Nixon's 1968 RNC Acceptance Speech Dan '82 0 762 07-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Dan '82