Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I had a late term abortion. President Trump and Pro lifers ....
https://slate.com/technology/2019/02/lat...JR72dwijb8

"...I believe torturing babies in the service of what my friend Grace Ombry calls “cosmic self-improvement projects” is wrong. I believe torturing babies for any reason is wrong. Kate Carson, another friend whose words are so embedded in the way I think about baby loss and grief that I don’t even know when I’m quoting her anymore, says she was presented with the option of giving her baby only one of two precious gifts: peace and life. Like her, and like many parents faced with this impossible binary, I chose peace."
"But this week is different. The backlash against New York state enacting the Reproductive Health Act and Virginia Democrat Kathy Tran introducing a bill to loosen restrictions on third-trimester abortions in her state has even veteran grievers reeling. To have the nation recoil in disgust and horror at what was our lives has a lot of us feeling tense and exhausted. And then our president called us murderers in his State of the Union address and promised to make what many of us did illegal. Half of his audience—our elected representatives—stood and applauded that line. We watched in horror, or didn’t in protest, but there’s no escaping the stigma being broadcast from the nation’s highest office. We came to the group and raged and cried and told each other he has no idea what he’s talking about. He doesn’t, but it still hurts."
".....New York’s law will protect a few more people from those small indignities. More importantly, someone who cannot travel will now be able to make the choice she must.
It’s the first victory for reproductive choice in what feels like forever. The members of our group are especially attuned to the way asterisks have been hung on Roe v. Wade since the 1970s. We know how close many of us came to being forced to continue pregnancies that would have tortured both us and our babies. We watched the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh with horror, not only because of the implicit acquittal of a credibly accused attempted rapist, but also because we knew it would likely result in abortion being further restricted in many more states, meaning more families in crisis pregnancies being forced to travel, maybe even for routine first-trimester procedures. Some of them inevitably won’t be able to, whether for financial or logistical or medical reasons."

"The only thing that could have been worse than her dying would have been to continue knitting her small body together with my body, to keep growing bigger and bigger with her and go through a far more dangerous full-term delivery or perhaps even a C-section, should her brain swell with fluid, and then watch her be intubated and fitted with a feeding tube. The only thing worse would have been to feel personally responsible for every bit of her suffering thereafter, wishing I could give her peace and being unable to do it. If you knew how fragile your grasp on the power to save your own child from medical torture was, you might pay more attention to legislative changes like the Reproductive Health Act, too.

And we won. It’s a victory that feels personal in part because the law was all but willed into being by the righteous fury of Erika Christensen, one of our own. But it’s hard to celebrate when the response to this law has just reminded all of us how deeply misunderstood or even hated we are for an experience that many of us feel to be defining, and that we do not regret."
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

"In December 2014, I had an abortion at 29 weeks, after my first baby was diagnosed with a brain abnormality called lissencephaly. The early diagnosis—lissencephaly is sometimes not diagnosed until after birth—meant her case was severe and her prognosis was grim: We could expect her to live for two to six years while suffering from frequent respiratory infections and intermittently choking on her own saliva. Her cognitive development would be arrested or even reversed by painful seizures. She might have been able to smile socially and/or track motion with her eyes, but maybe not. Eventually, one of the bouts of pneumonia or choking episodes or complications from one of the surgeries needed to sustain basic life functions would have killed her. "
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

The full title of the article is, "I Had a Late-Term Abortion. President Trump and Pro-Lifers Have No Right to Call Me a Murderer." If they are calling her that, after reading this article, that is the most ignorant and insensitive thing i have ever read of late. Read above how that child would have lived a short and miserable life. That is cruel.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

There are troubled pregnancies because of a birth that would be troublesome to the family. as a biracial child in a racist white family, or a child who would make a mess out of a lucrative career. Then there are those that entail a medical catastrophe such as the one presented as the case for a late-term abortion. The first could be dealt with in an adoption if one is truly pro-life. Putting a woman at extreme risk of death or permanent damage to her health, including her potential of ever having another child, is pro-death.

I cannot say, as for obvious reasons I can never know -- but a woman having a baby taking ordinary process of prenatal development likely bonds with the pre-born. I cannot imagine a woman aborting a child late in term except out of a medical necessity.

Some people are simply cruel, fanatical, and intellectually-shallow. They cannot understand, and they are incapable of understanding.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

I'm OK with abortions at the stage when the foetus is still unable to feel pain. Late term abortions - NO WAY. Give the baby up to adoption. Babies with heavy defects could be euthanised after birth - it's less painful than late term abortion.
(02-14-2019, 02:14 PM)Bill the Piper Wrote: I'm OK with abortions at the stage when the fetus is still unable to feel pain. Late term abortions - NO WAY. Give the baby up to adoption. Babies with heavy defects could be euthanized after birth - it's less painful than late term abortion.

Late term abortions, if that's even a correct term for them, have more to do with the mother potentially dying or undetected gross deformities of the fetus.  These are not abortions in the traditional sense of the term.  A good example of the first case: an undetected tubal pregnancy.  Remember,, not all women seek medical care unless they are in distress.  An example of the second case: an undetected case of a rare, painful and incurable fetal disorder.  Nothing good will come from either case.  Making it legal to attend the woman first and foremost makes total sense to me.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(02-14-2019, 03:36 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 02:14 PM)Bill the Piper Wrote: I'm OK with abortions at the stage when the fetus is still unable to feel pain. Late term abortions - NO WAY. Give the baby up to adoption. Babies with heavy defects could be euthanized after birth - it's less painful than late term abortion.

Late term abortions, if that's even a correct term for them, have more to do with the mother potentially dying or undetected gross deformities of the fetus.  These are not abortions in the traditional sense of the term.  A good example of the first case: an undetected tubal pregnancy.  Remember,, not all women seek medical care unless they are in distress.  An example of the second case: an undetected case of a rare, painful and incurable fetal disorder.  Nothing good will come from either case.  Making it legal to attend the woman first and foremost makes total sense to me.

The issue "Late Term Abortion" is simply a straw man argument made in bad faith.
[fon‌t=Arial Black]"... a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition."[/font]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Pro-life"? It's about control of women. pbrower2a 20 488 10-30-2019, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green