Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alabama Executes Brandon Samra
Alabama Executes Brandon Samra

And here I thought Alabama was a "pro-life" state huh.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Today, the State of Alabama executed Michael Brandon Samra, who was 19 at the time of the crime, despite evidence of an unfair trial and unreliable conviction and sentence. 
Brandon Samra was a teenager with significant cognitive impairments but no significant criminal history when he was arrested and charged with participating in a high-profile capital murder involving four victims in Shelby County.
Too poor to hire a lawyer, Brandon was represented by court-appointed counsel whose compensation was capped at $1000 for out-of-court work. Trial counsel failed to move Brandon's trial out of Shelby County, where nearly everyone had heard about the case and many potential jurors had already decided that Brandon was guilty.
Starting in early childhood, family members observed that Brandon was developmentally slow and suffered tremors in his hands, and was in special education most of his life before dropping out of high school. Mental health experts found prior to trial that Brandon had a low IQ and recommended neurological testing after finding evidence of brain dysfunction.
But the appointed lawyers did not hire or consult with an expert in intellectual disability or obtain the recommended brain scans.
Instead of investigating evidence of brain dysfunction, trial counsel repeatedly told the jury that Brandon was a follower of Satan and his involvement in the crime was related to his membership in a Satan-worshipping gang—allegations so baseless and prejudicial that even the prosecutor recognized they could not be used against Brandon at trial.
The penalty phase started a half hour after the jury returned a guilty verdict and ended in a death sentence recommendation that same day.
After the Supreme Court barred the death penalty for people under 18 years old at the time of the offense, new lawyers for Mr. Samra argued that his death sentence is not only unreliable but also arbitrary because his more culpable co-defendant was under 18 and is shielded from execution. Had Mr. Samra been a year younger, his execution would also be barred by the Eighth Amendment.
Earlier this week, the Supreme Court denied two petitions filed by Mr. Samra's counsel asking it to apply to his case the reasoning of Roper v. Simmons, the 2005 decision holding that the death penalty is unconstitutional for juveniles under 18.
Alabama carried out two executions in 2018 and executed Domineque Ray on February 7, making Brandon Samra the second person to be executed in the state this year.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

[Image: 60338206_10158124142967119_2617382958859...e=5D61927E]
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(05-18-2019, 02:22 AM)taramarie Wrote: [Image: 60338206_10158124142967119_2617382958859...e=5D61927E]

-- religion & prolife have nothing 2 do with it. It's about controlling women

Many antiabortionists are also white supremacists

https://rewire.news/article/2018/12/11/f...-movement/
Heart  Bernie/Tulsi 2020    Heart
(05-18-2019, 08:15 AM)Marypoza Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 02:22 AM)taramarie Wrote: [Image: 60338206_10158124142967119_2617382958859...e=5D61927E]

Maybe. But I don't know about that for certain.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(05-18-2019, 08:38 AM)taramarie Wrote:

-- l used 2 think that too. Until these state legislatures started passing these draconian laws. Do you know if a woman miscarries in GA she can be charged with 2nd degree murder? In TX they want to kill women who have abortions. Pro-life my ass!  Angry
This execution demonstrates the cruelty to which America -- especially in the Deep and Mountain South -- has sunk.

Someone like Brandon Samra should have been institutionalized or kept under the custody of people who could competently direct his life. I cannot imagine anyone having such incompetent counsel as to bring up connections of the defendant to a Satanic cult. People of his level of intellectual development can at best be consigned to sheltered workshops in which they can be shielded from people who would exploit their intellectual inadequacy such as criminal gangs and sexual predators. Maybe he does some slight work and gets special rewards for doing so.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

If this is not self-evident: the one on the left is obviously not yet human, and the one on the right is. Just about everything about the International Right is now disgusting.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(05-18-2019, 09:52 AM)Marypoza Wrote:

-- l used 2 think that too. Until these state legislatures started passing these draconian laws. Do you know if a woman miscarries in GA she can be charged with 2nd degree murder? In TX they want to kill women who have abortions. Pro-life my ass!  Angry
Good god there are some ignorant sons of bitches walking this earth. Do they realize if they are pro life they are going against it if they murder someone? And if someone miscarries?? Really? Ok now hearing what goes on in your country I am totally with you on this. All they are then is pro birth.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(05-18-2019, 04:54 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: This execution demonstrates the cruelty to which America -- especially in the Deep and Mountain South -- has sunk.

Someone like Brandon Samra should have been institutionalized or kept under the custody of people who could competently direct his life. I cannot imagine anyone having such incompetent counsel as to bring up connections of the defendant to a Satanic cult. People of his level of intellectual development can at best be consigned to sheltered workshops in which they can be shielded from people who would exploit their intellectual inadequacy such as criminal gangs and sexual predators. Maybe he does some slight work and gets special rewards for doing so.

Why the hell are they this draconian and completely ignorant of what they say and do? They are pro life but are pro killing people.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(05-18-2019, 04:56 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:

If this is not self-evident: the one on the left is obviously not yet human, and the one on the right is. Just about everything about the International Right is now disgusting.
Well it has human cells and dna but beside that, it is not aware, nor fully formed which I do believe we can agree on. Unlike the one on the right who is sentient life which needs water, food, shelter and love. To pro lifers, look into the eyes of that child. That child needs all the things you vote to deprive the child of according to what I have heard. You don't like the idea of people coming to your country out of the desperate need to flee their homes. This child is life. If you are prolife, you would wish to help the child. Otherwise you are just probirth and we will keep it at that as that is where it extends. Once the child is out of the womb, as it seems they don't give a crap. Please prove me wrong. I beg you.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(05-18-2019, 05:44 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 04:54 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: This execution demonstrates the cruelty to which America -- especially in the Deep and Mountain South -- has sunk.

Why the hell are they this draconian and completely ignorant of what they say and do? They are pro life but are pro killing people.

In a world of climate change, nuclear weapons, greater pressure on resources (especially energy), Zero Population Growth (ZPG) is a necessity. We have enough people as it is.

Now what is so great about a population boom? It's the greatest Ponzi scheme that has ever existed. It means more resource consumption, cheap labor for the 'dark Satanic mills', and plenty of cannon fodder for wars for profit. It means more profit in the sale of intellectual garbage to under-educated consumers. It means that the same people who get to compete for lower real pay end up bidding up rentals for horrid slums.

The crusade against abortion will become a crusade against birth control on behalf of economic elites that can profiteer off human suffering. Know well that the economic elites of America are little better than the aristocracies that people fled to get to America 120 to 150 years ago. Sure, Donald Trump is worse than the norm among them, but know well -- that the rest of the lot is awful.

They are pro-natal but ultimately pro-death when death is especially profitable, as in wars that kill millions of people for billions or even trillions in profits.

(05-18-2019, 05:39 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 09:52 AM)Marypoza Wrote:

Good god there are some ignorant sons of bitches walking this earth. Do they realize if they are pro life they are going against it if they murder someone? And if someone miscarries?? Really? Ok now hearing what goes on in your country I am totally with you on this. All they are then is pro birth.

-- they are also white supremacists:

Pro life has nothing 2 do with it
(05-19-2019, 08:19 PM)Marypoza Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 05:39 PM)taramarie Wrote: Good god there are some ignorant sons of bitches walking this earth. Do they realize if they are pro life they are going against it if they murder someone? And if someone miscarries?? Really? Ok now hearing what goes on in your country I am totally with you on this. All they are then is pro birth.

-- they are also white supremacists:

Pro life has nothing 2 do with it

Anyone pro-death on issues other than abortion (militarism, racism, classism, religious bigotry, totalitarianism in any form, ravaging the environment) introduces hypocrisy into any 'pro-life' rally.

People who wish to use moral suasion to encourage a female with a troublesome pregnancy (let us say a half-black child by a white girl in a racist family)  to carry the child to term for adoption by a loving family are justified in seeking to save an infant who might otherwise be aborted well before the possibility of an abortion is under consideration. Harassing a female in an abortion clinic is inexcusable. But even this is touchy. (I am surprised that racists would not encourage an abortion under such a circumstance!)

The approach could begin with a classified ad:

Quote:Do you have a troublesome pregnancy -- one that can make a mess of your life? Maybe you are not ready to raise a baby; but we have a loving alternative to abortion. We will help you make a decision that will unite the precious child developing in your womb with loving parents who want a baby, who can give the precious child a life that he or she deserves. You will never feel guilty for making the choice to trust "Jesus Loves the Unborn, too".

OK -- I do not like abortion, and I prefer that the choice involving a viable child without extreme difficulties be made on behalf of carrying the child to term. I consider the prevention of unwelcome pregnancies with objective sex education a part of the solution. But nobody has an abortion for the fun of it. Abortion is a difficult choice, too.

Medical necessity? Such makes an abortion ethically necessary.

I think many religious-right people do want to control women, and their views on abortion and other culture-war issues are shaped by their belief in traditional family values, which could be described as wife subordinate to male husband, children seen but not heard, etc.. These religious views are hypocritical though, if they don't also care about other pro-life issues. There's not a lot of justification for their views even in the Bible.

Polls currently show that the religious right people are the most likely group to support Donald Trump. But, how "religious" is that, really?
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Check this out guys. Is this for real? No seriously, is this for real??

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectu...1m4Yqlqhg/
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(05-20-2019, 12:53 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: I think many religious-right people do want to control women, and their views on abortion and other culture-war issues are shaped by their belief in traditional family values, which could be described as wife subordinate to male husband, children seen but not heard, etc.. These religious views are hypocritical though, if they don't also care about other pro-life issues. There's not a lot of justification for their views even in the Bible.

Polls currently show that the religious right people are the most likely group to support Donald Trump. But, how "religious" is that, really?

Not just women though matey. 12 year old girls too and I hope this is fabricated bullshit. We agree on this. It is hypocritical.

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectu...1m4Yqlqhg/
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Many antiabortionists are also white supremacists

Funny that.  Planned Parenthood was founded to abort Negro fetuses, and to sterilize Negro Women

http://www.blackgenocide.org/archived_ar...negro.html

Turns out just as many abortionists are white supremists too.

For the record I believe in legal abortion...mostly as a matter of public health and safety.  Though in general I oppose abortion (and execution) on principle.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(05-20-2019, 12:53 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: I think many religious-right people do want to control women, and their views on abortion and other culture-war issues are shaped by their belief in traditional family values, which could be described as wife subordinate to male husband, children seen but not heard, etc.. These religious views are hypocritical though, if they don't also care about other pro-life issues. There's not a lot of justification for their views even in the Bible.

The Religious Right includes

1. theological conservatives who understand  exactly what they believe in, and who defend tradition so that they can prevent social and economic chaos. They believe that Humanity is corrupt (the word that they use is "sinful") and that it needs rigid guidance to prevent horror. Such people are usually repressive on sexuality, including homosexuality and reproductive. They need not be racist or classist.

2. Hucksters, the 'snakes in suits' who have found it easy to manipulate the gullible through fear and loathing. Such describes the televangelists who may also be involved in wealth-cult Christianity. They teach that prosperity us evidence of God's blessing... and because of the 'need' to bless wealth they convince fleeced people of the need to send it to be blessed. The televangelists do well.

3. The big group -- the gullible unable to understand the psychology, economics, and science that underpin objective reality about the universe and human behavior. They are unable or unwilling to test what they are told, and they fall for anyone who uses the old argument "God so wills".

#1 is rare -- the sorts of people who read the Bible and can reject personality cults. They know that the economic message of Jesus is that poverty is no disgrace but that Christians have a duty to alleviate it. #2 is visible far out of proportion to its numbers. #3 include those people who think that Donald Trump is a vehicle of God's Will, as has every right-leaning pol.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/black-genocide/

Quote:A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.

Reasoning: Extreme Right, Propaganda

Notes: Black Genocide is a radical anti-abortion website that promotes the idea that Black’s have been targeted to have abortions.  This site relies on very old debunked conspiracies and consistently fails in fact checking. (D. Van Zandt 10/17/2016)

Eugenics was much in vogue as late as the 1930s. The genetic basis of heritable traits was hardly known, but what many presumed was that high social status was a result of inner traits and not of economic advantages.
It was easy to impute that poor people were having the large numbers of babies and that those babies would inundate America with cheap, unskilled labor at best and a criminal underworld at worst. So it was with Polish-Americans and Italian-Americans, and to a lesser extent Irish-Americans. People did not understand that the cause was that children of such people were being pushed as quickly out of school and into the paid workforce as possible. Are such people 'trash' as they were once described a hundred years ago? No. That is over.
With blacks, the problem was mostly an economic order that gave them no chance -- and no meaningful representation in public life. To display any disagreement with the subordination of blacks was "uppity".   Most of us recognize that to be poor in the Deep South, whatever one's origin, was to have no real chance at the Good Life so long as one stayed there. (The Mountain South was less programmatically racist -- and white people knew that it was wise to take some major highway north to industrial America. It also had far fewer blacks because it was ill-suited to plantation farming). A trip north on the Illinois Central to Chicago took a black person from the diseased heart (Mississippi) of Kukluxistan to Chicago and the urban and industrial world where muscle counted for more than did skin color. Blacks still on the whole pay heavily for disadvantages that their grandparents endured.
But you know that, do you not?