Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second raft of proposed gun law changes announced
(08-12-2019, 03:41 PM)AspieMillennial Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 07:06 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 09:05 PM)taramarie Wrote: Its also sad when people put a number on those who die. I am sure your opinion would be different if your relatives were being shot at unless you are a psychopath of course who prefers lax laws around guns over safety of lives.

It is grossly amoral to trivialize death. Even a heroic death in war or a rescue is a tragedy.

As a defense, a dog is superior to a gun. Criminals fear dogs, which may explain why the Nazis prohibited Jews from owning dogs (they did allow Jews to own cats, which are similarly affectionate but are poor defenders). Dogs rarely attack the wrong person (unless they get perverse training) and cannot be turned against their owners. Dogs have keener senses than people, especially at night. Dogs can turn quickly from docile pets to ferocious defenders in seconds. To put it clearly, any dwelling with a dog is a jungle to a criminal.

Like the sorts of predators who have Man on the menu, dogs size us up well.

You can control a gun. A pitbull can turn on you any time and is harder to control.

Any dog goes from being a loving pet to a dangerous predator in the event that something threatens its loved ones. Considering that much of the problem with pit bulls is that crooks train them to be accomplices, a pit bull under the care of people who have no pathology of criminal aggression will not attack without cause. The great hazard of a pit bull is its horrible, locking jaws that give a pig-like bite.

With some dogs, burglars can get the impression that they are potential prey for what might as well be a bear or Big Cat ... and that deters them from larceny or, worse, rape.  A dog is successful if it can cause a burglar to leave, and most criminals have no desire to have an encounter with "the other Big Cat".  There just is not much worth the mauling that even a small dog can do, let alone being knocked down.

Against you and the gun -- a criminal still has the element of surprise, and if he is exploiting your sleepfulness he might get your gun before you do. The crook can never turn your dog against you.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(08-12-2019, 04:53 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 09:05 PM)taramarie Wrote: Its also sad when people put a number on those who die. I am sure your opinion would be different if your relatives were being shot at unless you are a psychopath of course who prefers lax laws around guns over safety of lives.

It is grossly amoral to trivialize death. Even a heroic death in war or a rescue is a tragedy.

As a defense, a dog is superior to a gun. Criminals fear dogs, which may explain why the Nazis prohibited Jews from owning dogs (they did allow Jews to own cats, which are similarly affectionate but are poor defenders). Dogs rarely attack the wrong person (unless they get perverse training) and cannot be turned against their owners. Dogs have keener senses than people, especially at night. Dogs can turn quickly from docile pets to ferocious defenders in seconds. To put it clearly, any dwelling with a dog is a jungle to a criminal.

You can control a gun. A pitbull can turn on you any time and is harder to control.

Any dog goes from being a loving pet to a dangerous predator in the event that something threatens its loved ones. Considering that much of the problem with pit bulls is that crooks train them to be accomplices, a pit bull under the care of people who have no pathology of criminal aggression will not attack without cause. The great hazard of a pit bull is its horrible, locking jaws that give a pig-like bite.

With some dogs, burglars can get the impression that they are potential prey for what might as well be a bear or Big Cat ... and that deters them from larceny or, worse, rape.  A dog is successful if it can cause a burglar to leave, and most criminals have no desire to have an encounter with "the other Big Cat".  There just is not much worth the mauling that even a small dog can do, let alone being knocked down.

Against you and the gun -- a criminal still has the element of surprise, and if he is exploiting your sleepfulness he might get your gun before you do. The crook can never turn your dog against you.
Glad to see someone has a brain and uses it and actually THINKS about their answer before posting it.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(08-12-2019, 12:58 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 12:00 AM)taramarie Wrote: Thank fucking god they are finally including "not allowing visitors to purchase guns in New Zealand." Bloody ridiculous they allowed that in the first place! So....what is America doing regarding gun laws? Nothing I take it?

Unlike New Zealand, we're not interested in becoming a dystopian dictatorship.

I think my previous post does not apply to you sadly.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(08-12-2019, 04:53 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:

I've been around dogs. They are highly unpredictable. They chase you at the drop of a hat even if you're doing nothing wrong. I've had to run from them.
(08-12-2019, 05:35 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 12:00 AM)taramarie Wrote: Thank fucking god they are finally including "not allowing visitors to purchase guns in New Zealand." Bloody ridiculous they allowed that in the first place! So....what is America doing regarding gun laws? Nothing I take it?

Speak for yourself.
(08-12-2019, 09:30 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:

Speak for yourself.
Oh you are very "special," aren't you. At your age given you are close to my mother's age you should know by now to research before you open your mouth about a supposed "dictatorship" like you even know what that is. I wont inform you of the details of the new gun laws here and how the process went about. You need to show me you can actually research before saying something really fucking stupid. But keep it up, because it just shows me how uneducated you are and that is some entertaining shit.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

and I wont respond to aspie as I gave up on him long ago. I do not engage with people who constantly show they lack common sense and are less than wise. Warren also will be added to that list. I have enough bs to deal with than responding to people who show they aren't worth two cents of my time.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(08-11-2019, 10:45 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(08-11-2019, 09:34 AM)Anthony Wrote: But you cannot conflate countries with homogeneous populations like New Zealand, Iceland, and Japan with a country like the United States, which consists of dozens, hundreds, hell, even thousands of different groups, pretty much none of whom can stand each other.

I guess Lincoln's "A house divided against itself, cannot stand." message does not also ring true in this case huh? Yes I am aware of the context of the original message, but those words by themselves, says something and I think it can apply to this also. Your country is severely, radically divided and I think those few words should account for something whether it be regarding guns, or politics or anything that severely cripples even solving major issues in your country to this day.
Heart

(08-12-2019, 10:01 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 09:30 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:

Speak for yourself.
Oh you are very "special," aren't you. At your age given you are close to my mother's age you should know by now to research before you open your mouth about a supposed "dictatorship" like you even know what that is. I wont inform you of the details of the new gun laws here and how the process went about. You need to show me you can actually research before saying something really fucking stupid. But keep it up, because it just shows me how uneducated you are and that is some entertaining shit.

Just because you're in denial about what could result doesn't mean it's false.
(08-12-2019, 11:49 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(08-11-2019, 10:45 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(08-11-2019, 09:34 AM)Anthony Wrote: But you cannot conflate countries with homogeneous populations like New Zealand, Iceland, and Japan with a country like the United States, which consists of dozens, hundreds, hell, even thousands of different groups, pretty much none of whom can stand each other.

I guess Lincoln's "A house divided against itself, cannot stand." message does not also ring true in this case huh? Yes I am aware of the context of the original message, but those words by themselves, says something and I think it can apply to this also. Your country is severely, radically divided and I think those few words should account for something whether it be regarding guns, or politics or anything that severely cripples even solving major issues in your country to this day.
Heart

glad to see there are people there who can see sense in Lincoln's words.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(08-12-2019, 12:17 AM)taramarie Wrote: Exactly. NZ was built on diversity and certainly loads of people from all over the world.

Westerners and Maori?
(08-14-2019, 09:32 AM)Hintergrund Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 12:17 AM)taramarie Wrote: Exactly. NZ was built on diversity and certainly loads of people from all over the world.

Westerners and Maori?

No far more than that.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

While I totally favor the Second Amendment personally, up to the point of believing that AR-15s and even bump stocks should be perfectly legal, I am skeptical to say the least about this anti-government narrative, thinking instead that the pro-gun movement has its origins in the Charles Bronson Death Wish movies and Bernie Goetz - and as such is racist to the core.
"It was better with them that were slain by the sword, than with them that died with hunger, for these pined away being consumed for want of the fruits of the earth" - Lamentations 4:9

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video shows 13-year-old buy a gun on first try taramarie 28 11,579 02-21-2017, 01:36 AM
Last Post: Craig '84
  Gun violence makes an American rethink connections to home taramarie 0 757 07-16-2016, 10:48 PM
Last Post: taramarie