Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US federal gov't to execute inmates for first time since 2003
US federal gov't to execute inmates for first time since 2003
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

So the least-moral President in American history wants to sign an execution warrant.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(07-25-2019, 07:40 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: So the least-moral President in American history wants to sign an execution warrant.

Of course he does. What is worse is he wants to kill drug traffickers. I am of two minds about the death penalty in general given there are so many who have been imprisoned who are actually innocent people. I would say the whole system needs to be completely changed. No solitary confinement for a start. Therapy and if they wish for privileges they need to work for them. Fair justice system with no death penalty because there have been far too many jailed for crimes they didn't commit. Don't jail for drug dealing and definitely not worth killing someone for it. For murderers and rapists.....well that is where I am conflicted. On one hand if they did it, are they actually insane and cant help it or are they doing it on purpose? The third option is of course are they really the attacker or are they innocent? Many stories come to mind but one really made me rethink this situation.

The Happiest Man on Death Row

[Image: joe-arridy.jpg]
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(07-25-2019, 07:59 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(07-25-2019, 07:40 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: So the least-moral President in American history wants to sign an execution warrant.

Of course he does. What is worse is he wants to kill drug traffickers. I am of two minds about the death penalty in general given there are so many who have been imprisoned who are actually innocent people. I would say the whole system needs to be completely changed. No solitary confinement for a start. Therapy and if they wish for privileges they need to work for them. Fair justice system with no death penalty because there have been far too many jailed for crimes they didn't commit. Don't jail for drug dealing and definitely not worth killing someone for it. For murderers and rapists.....well that is where I am conflicted. On one hand if they did it, are they actually insane and cant help it or are they doing it on purpose? The third option is of course are they really the attacker or are they innocent? Many stories come to mind but one really made me rethink this situation.

Some other countries execute drug traffickers for such. In view of the president's bloodthirsty rhetoric I would not be surprised if he sought to expand the use of the death penalty. He is a cruel, unfeeling person.

Today, someone like Joe Arridy would never face execution. The mentally-retarded are now exempt, although some have been executed before a Supreme Court ruling. Mentally-retarded people can do horrible crimes.

If you have ever seen the details on persons executed in America... there are a very few that seemed promising at one time, but far more are high-school and even grade-school dropouts. We had far-higher rates of violent crime when lead from motor fuels permeated the air in some places, and one could see crime rates rising steadily to a peak where the traffic slowed most. 

The use of leaded gasoline dropped steadily in America after the mandatory installation of catalytic converters to new motor vehicles in the 1970s, a side effect to which was that one could no longer use leaded gasoline in such vehicles. As cars capable of using leaded gasoline were retired to the scrapyards, environmental lead became less common. But peak years for violent crime in America correlates with people exposed to the most lead. Lead creates learning disabilities and loss of impulse control -- both of which contribute to crime. Add to this there were loser kids who huffed solvents, including gasoline -- including leaded gasoline containing the particularly insidious lead additive tetraethyl lead (TEL). So just imagine...

Using a transit map that shows an area with which I was extremely familiar during the 1970s,

[Image: 300px-BART_2019_official_map.svg.png]

If you follow the line from Fremont, basically the southeastern fringe of commute traffic to San Francisco, you will find that as one heads to the north and west, crime rates rose steadily as traffic loads increased on the freeways parallel to BART on the Nimitz Freeway (then California 17 but now Interstate 880) and as Interstate 580 brought commuters from due east and made a sharp turn to the northeast around the Bay Fair Station, things got worse. The farther north that one went in Oakland, where traffic got heavier and slower, environmental lead got even higher.

Lead is a cumulative poison, and it is practicallly impossible to fully remove from someone, It is safe to say that the more lead is in someone's system the more likely one is in America to pump lead into someone else -- through a firearm. Although real poverty is as severe (if not even worse) in America than it was in the 1970s, violent crime is actually down.

Oh, by the way -- Generation X, the last generation heavily exposed to environmental lead and perhaps at its worst levels in formative years, has been the peak in getting executed in the later half of the 20th and early 21st century in America.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(07-25-2019, 09:46 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(07-25-2019, 07:59 PM)taramarie Wrote:

Some other countries execute drug traffickers for such. In view of the president's bloodthirsty rhetoric I would not be surprised if he sought to expand the use of the death penalty. He is a cruel, unfeeling person.

Today, someone like Joe Arridy would never face execution. The mentally-retarded are now exempt, although some have been executed before a Supreme Court ruling. Mentally-retarded people can do horrible crimes.

If you have ever seen the details on persons executed in America... there are a very few that seemed promising at one time, but far more are high-school and even grade-school dropouts. We had far-higher rates of violent crime when lead from motor fuels permeated the air in some places, and one could see crime rates rising steadily to a peak where the traffic slowed most. 

The use of leaded gasoline dropped steadily in America after the mandatory installation of catalytic converters to new motor vehicles in the 1970s, a side effect to which was that one could no longer use leaded gasoline in such vehicles. As cars capable of using leaded gasoline were retired to the scrapyards, environmental lead became less common. But peak years for violent crime in America correlates with people exposed to the most lead. Lead creates learning disabilities and loss of impulse control -- both of which contribute to crime. Add to this there were loser kids who huffed solvents, including gasoline -- including leaded gasoline containing the particularly insidious lead additive tetraethyl lead (TEL). So just imagine...

Using a transit map that shows an area with which I was extremely familiar during the 1970s,

[Image: 300px-BART_2019_official_map.svg.png]

If you follow the line from Fremont, basically the southeastern fringe of commute traffic to San Francisco, you will find that as one heads to the north and west, crime rates rose steadily as traffic loads increased on the freeways parallel to BART on the Nimitz Freeway (then California 17 but now Interstate 880) and as Interstate 580 brought commuters from due east and made a sharp turn to the northeast around the Bay Fair Station, things got worse. The farther north that one went in Oakland, where traffic got heavier and slower, environmental lead got even higher.

Lead is a cumulative poison, and it is practicallly impossible to fully remove from someone, It is safe to say that the more lead is in someone's system the more likely one is in America to pump lead into someone else -- through a firearm. Although real poverty is as severe (if not even worse) in America than it was in the 1970s, violent crime is actually down.

Oh, by the way -- Generation X, the last generation heavily exposed to environmental lead and perhaps at its worst levels in formative years, has been the peak in getting executed in the later half of the 20th and early 21st century in America.
Joe was merely one example of an innocent man behind bars. I have watched videos on people who have no mental retardation who have been innocent and locked away for decades. Some had been on death row. Some have made it out alive, some haven't and that gamble of they could be innocent tells me that the death penalty is an outdated and monstrous primitive way of punishment. People are told not to murder yet the government has that power? In the heat of the moment sure one would want a murderer or rapist to get his or her just deserts, but its still murder and if the person just by chance is actually innocent, that is even worse. Your photo is very blurry and I cannot read the words I am afraid. That is very interesting about lead consumption and crime levels. What is it about lead that causes people to be far more delinquent in nature?
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

The investigators may have told him that he could have all the ice cream he wanted before getting being executed. He probably had no idea of what gas was, let alone what it does.

Mentally-retarded people may be technically guilty, but they are often more gullible than guilty. Some have been tricked into confessing the commission of crimes. It is best that the mentally-retarded be protected from exploitation. which may mean sheltered workshops and supervised living accommodations. So we take them to movies, restaurants, the zoo, or other benign attractions instead of allowing them to be snookered into 'just having a little fun' with some people out to do armed robbery -- a crime that often results in murder.

In my state (Michigan), the penalty for armed robbery is 25-to-life, which is the same sentence that applies to attempted murder. I supposed that every armed robbery creates the potential of a murder.

There actually aren't a whole lot of crimes that are punishable by death in the federal system (the most common scenario is for "drug kingpins who kill"). So this was actually done by Trump to gin up more support from his hallowed base.
"It was better with them that were slain by the sword, than with them that died with hunger, for these pined away being consumed for want of the fruits of the earth" - Lamentations 4:9
(08-11-2019, 09:24 AM)Anthony Wrote: There actually aren't a whole lot of crimes that are punishable by death in the federal system (the most common scenario is for "drug kingpins who kill").  So this was actually done by Trump to gin up more support from his hallowed base.

Cruel as President Trump is, he might want to expand the list of federal capital crimes -- perhaps to economic crimes and drug trafficking.

If the POTUS is a crook, it doesn't make the other crooks objectively better.

Theoretically he should leave them alive, to look better in comparison.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pre-marital conception rate over time Dan '82 1 702 07-14-2016, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Odin