Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 NEWS STORIES That Defined Generation X FOREVER

WOOOW! Shocked at how boomers are depicted here on how they treated xers. That is so different....
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-14-2017, 12:32 AM)taramarie Wrote: WOOOW! Shocked at how boomers are depicted here on how they treated xers. That is so different....

That was definitely not written by a Boomer.  Have to admit that is a good selection of events covering much of our lives.  It was almost certainly written by an Xer younger than myself.  Certainly brings home the point that Xers generally have had one never ending shit show and nobody really cared.  Like the Lost we have been and probably always will be on our own.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
As a Gen Xer, here is my list of top 10 defining events in my lifetime, so far.  

1) Reagan Revolution
2) Fall of the Berlin Wall/End of Soviet Union
3) the Internet Age
4) 9/11 and the War on Terror
5) Hurricane Katrina
6) the Great Recession
7) Election of Obama
8) Gay Marriage
9) Ferguson
10) Election of Trump
(08-12-2017, 12:38 AM)gabrielle Wrote: As a Gen Xer, here is my list of top 10 defining events in my lifetime, so far.  

1) Reagan Revolution
3) the Internet Age
5) Hurricane Katrina
6) the Great Recession
7) Election of Obama
8) Gay Marriage
9) Ferguson
10) Election of Trump

My only comment: #4 should be "9/11 and the War Without End".  We Boomers had our long war, but Iraqistan is in a class by itself.  Worst of all, it's been a war fought by the very few, with many exempt from harm.  Not the way democracies are expected to load-share.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(06-14-2017, 12:32 AM)taramarie Wrote:

WOOOW! Shocked at how boomers are depicted here on how they treated xers. That is so different....

My first thought is, who the heck is Kurt Cobain?

I'm not sure why you're talking about Boomers, though.  Andy Rooney was a GI.  Gen X probably caught the most criticism from the GIs, and even got some from the otherwise mild mannered Silents.  Boomers mostly ignored them.

Gabrielle's list looks more relevant to me, though I'm a boomer.  I do have to say the shooting of Reagan was largely irrelevant in the big picture; it wasn't the shooting that got Reagan cooperation from Congress, but rather an understanding of how Congress works.
(08-12-2017, 08:34 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(08-12-2017, 12:38 AM)gabrielle Wrote: As a Gen Xer, here is my list of top 10 defining events in my lifetime, so far.  

1) Reagan Revolution
3) the Internet Age
5) Hurricane Katrina
6) the Great Recession
7) Election of Obama
8) Gay Marriage
9) Ferguson
10) Election of Trump

My only comment: #4 should be "9/11 and the War Without End".  We Boomers had our long war, but Iraqistan is in a class by itself.  Worst of all, it's been a war fought by the very few, with many exempt from harm.  Not the way democracies are expected to load-share.

It was a war fought by volunteers rather than by men drafted into involuntary servitude.  If you have to have a war, using volunteers is exactly the way they should be fought by a free society.
(08-12-2017, 08:22 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: My first thought is, who the heck is Kurt Cobain?

He was a negative creep, and he was stoned.
(08-12-2017, 08:22 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(06-14-2017, 12:32 AM)taramarie Wrote:

I'm not sure why you're talking about Boomers, though.  Andy Rooney was a GI.  Gen X probably caught the most criticism from the GIs, and even got some from the otherwise mild mannered Silents.  Boomers mostly ignored them.

Gabrielle's list looks more relevant to me, though I'm a boomer.  I do have to say the shooting of Reagan was largely irrelevant in the big picture; it wasn't the shooting that got Reagan cooperation from Congress, but rather an understanding of how Congress works.

For the majority of GenX it is natural we would get much criticism from Silents.  For most of the generation they were in fact their parents.  I get daily criticism from my Boomer mother for example.  What you witnessed was not generational criticism, it was parental criticism and is always happening.  I'm busy criticizing a Zed in my house on a daily basis--though I hope I'm doing it a lot less than my parents.

As or Kurt Cobain....he was the lead singer of the band Nirvana.  He (((supposedly))) committed suicide when he had enough heroin in his system to tranquilize a bull moose.  I am not the only person around who suspects foul play on that issue.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(08-13-2017, 04:08 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(08-12-2017, 08:22 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(06-14-2017, 12:32 AM)taramarie Wrote: WOOOW! Shocked at how boomers are depicted here on how they treated xers. That is so different....

For the majority of GenX it is natural we would get much criticism from Silents.  For most of the generation they were in fact their parents.  I get daily criticism from my Boomer mother for example.  What you witnessed was not generational criticism, it was parental criticism and is always happening.  I'm busy criticizing a Zed in my house on a daily basis--though I hope I'm doing it a lot less than my parents.

That makes sense, thanks.  To some extent I was thinking of public criticism such as for example from John McCain for the gen X Senators, but given the conformist conditions under which Silents did most of their parenting, I can see that they could often feel justified in criticizing each others' children, too.
I would argue that John McCain is an out of touch old man who has been out of touch since at least the 1990s, if not be for then. My old optometrist served with him in the Navy. Lets just say he didn't have much nice to say about McCain.

As for Silents criticizing other's children, that seems to be a universal as well. By and large the criticism we got from the GIs was largely due to our apparent lack o civic spirit. Yet, that conforms to our archetype. Xers are hit with a "double whammy" of the Nomadism ™ being that they are the nomad generation in a mega-unraveling.

Thus the criticism you are describing is one of an Mega-Idealist Civic and Artist generation criticizing a Mega-Nomad Nomad generation.

Of course I do subscribe to both a mega-saeculums and micro-turnings. I have a thread about it. It doesn't get much traffic. I'm unsure if that is because my observations are way off base or because they are self-evident. I only seem to get push back from Mike who changes his working theory more frequently than I change my underpants, and Eric whose contact with reality is sporadic at the best of times.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(08-12-2017, 08:24 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(08-12-2017, 08:34 AM)David Horn Wrote:

1) Reagan Revolution
3) the Internet Age
5) Hurricane Katrina
6) the Great Recession
7) Election of Obama
8) Gay Marriage
9) Ferguson
10) Election of Trump

It was a war fought by volunteers rather than by men drafted into involuntary servitude.  If you have to have a war, using volunteers is exactly the way they should be fought by a free society.

I couldn't disagree more strongly.  If it's OUR country, then WE should out there doing our part ... but that's the small part of the issue.

The fastest way to humanize those not part of your particular clan, posse or tribe, is a forced mixing in a shared endeavor.  We used to know that, but we apparently forgot.  During my brief sojourn, I was thrown in with males from every state and background (not many women then).  It was an education I could never have acquired on my own.

But back to the original point.  War is the most draconian act a nation can undertake, and we should be contributors, not cheerleaders ... yes, by force if necessary.  It's easy to rah-rah, when you have no skin in the game.  Harder when you do.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
I think starting the series in the '80's, with the Reagan attack, leaves out our earliest childhood events, which a lot of the stuff on their list are echoes for:
  • The terrorist attacks at the 1972 Munich Olympics
  • The end of the Viet Nam war (I remember my Saturday morning cartoons being repeatedly interrupted as POW's were released and returned, and the dejection of the adults in the room at the time), and Gerald Ford's amnesty for and Jimmy Carter's pardon of those that dodged the draft during it. This, notably, left out those who avoided the draft by marrying and starting families, rather than heading to Canada.
  • Watergate, Ford's pre-emptive pardon of Nixon, and the subsequent election of Carter
  • The Arab oil embargo, stagflation and later inflation (see Doonesbury cartoons about a housewife getting a loan to buy meat)
  • The Iranian Hostage Crisis, and its influence on the 1980 election, in large part setting the stage for the Reagan Revolution.
  • The design and release of the IBM Personal Computer and, later, the Apple and Apple II, along with entries from Commodore, Tandy/Radio Shack, Atari and others, kicking off the "home computer" revolution.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Generation with No Disney Princess GeekyCynic 2 801 05-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Last Post: X_4AD_84
  Generation X as risk-takers pbrower2a 0 615 05-14-2016, 08:08 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a