Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
the best songs ever
My favorite by Elton John is from 1972, the soft-rock year.

"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-22-2016, 05:35 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: My favorite by Elton John is from 1972, the soft-rock year.

Yeah,  Summer Breeze cover in all its awesomeness!   Big Grin Cool Tongue

Eric needs a mellow take of the 3T, it's right here, man.

---Value Added Cool
(06-22-2016, 07:07 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: I dedicate this nice 2T song to Hillary

The Hillary haunted house of horrors.

[Image: 20160622_hillary1.jpg] Big Grin
HA! I love that song btw. Smile
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

before we leave '73, i gotta post some things real quick

1973?

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

I like this whole album, but I guess I'll just post the first song.

(06-22-2016, 10:19 PM)taramarie Wrote: 1973?

I think the original was in 1968 or 69
(06-22-2016, 10:27 PM)gabrielle Wrote:

This version said 1973.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-22-2016, 10:33 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-22-2016, 10:27 PM)gabrielle Wrote:

This version said 1973.

You're right!  I was thinking of a different song.
It's good to have other picks besides mine. Hancock is worthy Smile

We can't leave 1972 without the fount of the electronic music genre, and my #1 all-time pick of the new age, ambient, space music and electronica field. In fact, the first and original occupant of that #1 position, and it doesn't look like it will ever be surpassed. The entire cosmic rock and electronica field was influenced by this original and best example of what's called "the Berlin sound." It is spooky, haunting, brilliant, inspiring, psychedelic, relaxing and mystical music. Deep and passionate, but quiet and not too over-powering. The title "Totem" suggests that the music evokes pre-historic and magical times. The album title "Picture Music" indicates how this music stimulates the imagination. If you let the music transport you, no chemicals or smokes are needed. Just the skills of the music pioneer, Klaus Schulze. And your OWN imagination. What does it evoke for you?

In case you missed it, you might enjoy my bewitched music page
http://philosopherswheel.com/bewitched.html

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I like this one mostly for the psychedelic part in the last two minutes, and the neat flute melody line that interweaves it.

Evokes "Days Gone By;" how appropriate.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-22-2016, 07:18 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Yeah,  Summer Breeze cover in all its awesomeness!   Big Grin Cool Tongue

The original was a favorite of mine.
https://youtu.be/MsW8rXPcnM0

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

(06-22-2016, 12:12 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(06-22-2016, 02:39 AM)Galen Wrote:
(06-21-2016, 01:06 AM)gabrielle Wrote: Here's one from '76 I forgot:

Fond childhood memories.   (This was a favorite of my dad's)

Not so much after they played it 50,000 times on the radio.  Only one of the many reasons why the seventies are decade I could have done without.

I didn't really mind hearing it over and over because I liked  it.  There were other songs from the 70s that were played over and over that I couldn't stand, like this one:

And this one:

No argument about those either.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(06-22-2016, 04:14 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-22-2016, 04:07 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(06-22-2016, 04:04 PM)taramarie Wrote: I did not see that post to have any thought on that.

If you are not following the thread, why comment on it?

I am listening to the music and keeping mum on music i do not like because you see, that is my opinion so it is personal. I am not reading all the comments.

I have largely been doing that myself but I think it is useful to note when something was overdone at the time.  The Wreck of the Edmund  Fitzgerald was one of them.  I liked it until about the 25,000th time it was played on the radio.  No internet and only two radio stations and one of those was a country and western station.  This is not a condition that the youngsters would be familiar with but was quite common in any but the largest cities.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(06-23-2016, 02:14 AM)Galen Wrote:
(06-22-2016, 04:04 PM)taramarie Wrote: I did not see that post to have any thought on that.

I am listening to the music and keeping mum on music i do not like because you see, that is my opinion so it is personal. I am not reading all the comments.

I have largely been doing that myself but I think it is useful to note when something was overdone at the time.  The Wreck of the Edmund  Fitzgerald was one of them.  I liked it until about the 25,000th time it was played on the radio.  No internet and only two radio stations and one of those was a country and western station.  This is not a condition that the youngsters would be familiar with but was quite common in any but the largest cities.
Oh yes I do agree that it kills the song if overdone. You do not appreciate it after a while. I have not experienced being cut from internet and relying solely on radio but my mother had a tape. Half hour each side. Two songs and two songs only. It drove me crazy and it was either "twisting by the pool" or "just like romeo and juliet." Love both songs but ugh! She had a smaller degree of that when baby one more time was in the top charts in the late 90s so i got my revenge!
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Eric prefers some music without words correct? I have one in mind that has a connection to my family history. Check out songe d' automne by Archibold Joyce. For me it takes me on a journey across the ocean. Eerie and soulful.

Songe D' Automne
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(06-23-2016, 02:14 AM)Galen Wrote:

I honestly don't really remember Edmund Fitzgerald being overplayed as much as you say, but I grew up in a larger midwestern city with quite a few radio stations, and my parents had their own music they listened to.  Generally when I heard Gordon Lightfoot it was when my dad was playing his records.  In later years, of course, that was the song I heard being played on the radio most often.  It was one of his most popular hits, but it is a really good song.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 480 122,687 09-02-2019, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Ragnarök_62
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 75 23,670 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green