Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Coronavirus
(08-24-2020, 10:50 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 01:04 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: I don't expect the Democrats to let go of racism or racial bias because as I've said, they're still to valuable to them politically these days. We have to many Democrats sitting in Congress making a very good living (getting wealthier) off being black or a minority woman or whatever else these days.

That's only a few people; hardly a trend of black and people of color getting rich off being black. And I doubt congress pays enough to make one rich.

No, Democrats won't ignore or betray their black and hispanic supporters. You call that "not letting go of racism or racial bias" because it's "valuable to them politically these days"

It has been valuable to white males for years.  Racism and sexism is believing it should continue to be restricted to white males rather than distributed so the politicial jobs are distributed much as the population.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(08-24-2020, 01:04 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 05:35 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 05:11 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 02:33 PM)TnT Wrote: There are none so blind as those who WILL NOT see.

I see people using race or racism to their advantage here every day. You don't see it? What the hell is wrong with your eyes? We are getting so close race wise that whites will be able to sue minorities for being racist or discrimination. You are on the side that's been getting away with all kinds of shit for years. Well, that time is nearing its end how it ends is going to be left to people like you and your ability to see through racial nonsense vs enabling the racial nonsense that we see today. Like I've said, I'll go along with feeding flaming liberals  like you to them on a silver plate.

Politics is a coalition affair. Don't you know that? If Democrats want to win, they must serve their core supporters. Blacks for example vote Democratic in the 90% range. You expect Democrats to abandon them? You don't understand politics at all, then.

If you resent and oppose that, and therefore vote white identity politics e.g. Donald Trump, then who is using race and racism?

"all kinds of shit for years" Reminds me of what Obama said that the Republicans have been giving us all kinds of crazy for years.
I don't expect the Democrats to let go of racism or racial bias because as I've said, they're still to valuable to them politically these days. We have to many Democrats sitting in Congress making a very good living (getting wealthier) off being black or a minority woman or whatever else these days.

That's only a few people; hardly a trend of black and people of color getting rich off being black. And I doubt congress pays enough to make one rich.

No, Democrats won't ignore or betray their black and hispanic supporters. You call that "not letting go of racism or racial bias" because it's "valuable to them politically these days"
I doubt Congress pays enough to get rich either but some how or another Joe Biden, the Clinton's and the Obama's all managed to get rich and richer while in politics. We live during a time when racism should no longer be automatically assumed or accused these days with all the people of different races who are involved in every aspect of American society these days.
(08-25-2020, 03:34 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: It has been valuable to white males for years.  Racism and sexism is believing it should continue to be restricted to white males rather than distributed so the politicial jobs are distributed much as the population.
What's a Democratic white male worth to the Democratic party these days? I suppose they're still worth something as long as they're able to shut up, agree for the good of the party and go along with whatever the minorities and the women on the Democratic side either say or seem to believe about them these days. I'm not very impressed with what I see as far as the Democratic white males these days.
(08-25-2020, 04:07 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 03:34 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: It has been valuable to white males for years.  Racism and sexism is believing it should continue to be restricted to white males rather than distributed so the politicial jobs are distributed much as the population.
What's a Democratic white male worth to the Democratic party these days? I suppose they're still worth something as long as they're able to shut up, agree for the good of the party and go along with whatever the minorities and the women on the Democratic side either say or seem to  believe about them these days. I'm not very impressed with what I see as far as the Democratic white males these days.

Of course not. You are too much into racism and sexism.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(08-25-2020, 03:47 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 05:35 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 05:11 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: I see people using race or racism to their advantage here every day. You don't see it? What the hell is wrong with your eyes? We are getting so close race wise that whites will be able to sue minorities for being racist or discrimination. You are on the side that's been getting away with all kinds of shit for years. Well, that time is nearing its end how it ends is going to be left to people like you and your ability to see through racial nonsense vs enabling the racial nonsense that we see today. Like I've said, I'll go along with feeding flaming liberals  like you to them on a silver plate.

Politics is a coalition affair. Don't you know that? If Democrats want to win, they must serve their core supporters. Blacks for example vote Democratic in the 90% range. You expect Democrats to abandon them? You don't understand politics at all, then.

If you resent and oppose that, and therefore vote white identity politics e.g. Donald Trump, then who is using race and racism?

"all kinds of shit for years" Reminds me of what Obama said that the Republicans have been giving us all kinds of crazy for years.
I don't expect the Democrats to let go of racism or racial bias because as I've said, they're still to valuable to them politically these days. We have to many Democrats sitting in Congress making a very good living (getting wealthier) off being black or a minority woman or whatever else these days.

I doubt Congress pays enough to get rich either but some how or another Joe Biden, the Clinton's and the Obama's all managed to get rich and richer while in politics. We live during a time when racism should no longer be automatically assumed or accused these days with all the people of different races who  are involved in every aspect of American society these days.

A rare sensible statement from you. No, racism should not be automatically assumed. There are grounds for asserting racism still exists today, based on such phenomena as the prevalence of racial profiling and racial brutality by police, and the wealth and criminal justice gaps that exist. But that is not the same of assuming racism on the part of a particular person or set of persons.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I was shocked to see Usain Bolt in the news... and the story is that he tested positive... for COViD-19.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(08-25-2020, 04:07 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
What's a Democratic white male worth to the Democratic party these days? I suppose they're still worth something as long as they're able to shut up, agree for the good of the party and go along with whatever the minorities and the women on the Democratic side either say or seem to  believe about them these days. I'm not very impressed with what I see as far as the Democratic white males these days.

...as much as anyone else, of course. One vote counts for as much as another except with the Electoral College.

Do you think that my life is better because of trigger-happy cops shooting black men? Do I benefit from substandard education anywhere? Do I fare better because rapacious plutocrats exploit economic fear to make life worse for workers?  

More troublesome to white males is the weakening of unions and the strengthening of the power of corporate bureaucrats who get paid like sultans to treat workers badly. Of course the harm is to us all. Maybe we need to change the tax code to give an edge to small businesses that can't have bloated bureaucracies instead of to well-connected, vertically-integrated near-monopolies. 

It is my moral choice to not foster racism and sexism from which I get nothing.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(08-25-2020, 05:56 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 05:35 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Politics is a coalition affair. Don't you know that? If Democrats want to win, they must serve their core supporters. Blacks for example vote Democratic in the 90% range. You expect Democrats to abandon them? You don't understand politics at all, then.

I doubt Congress pays enough to get rich either but some how or another Joe Biden, the Clinton's and the Obama's all managed to get rich and richer while in politics. We live during a time when racism should no longer be automatically assumed or accused these days with all the people of different races who  are involved in every aspect of American society these days.

A rare sensible statement from you. No, racism should not be automatically assumed. There are grounds for asserting racism still exists today, based on such phenomena as the prevalence of racial profiling and racial brutality by police, and the wealth and criminal justice gaps that exist. But that is not the same of assuming racism on the part of a particular person or set of persons.
Nope. Racism shouldn't be automatically assumed or automatically used and asserted these days. I don't know who is teaching the black kids the wrong things and wrong way of doing things and instilling no values these days. I have a pretty strong hunch who the guilty party is these days and the primary motive as well. So, why do you and others on the Democratic side continue doing it on a regular basis on behalf of those mainly associated with the black race these days?
(08-26-2020, 04:58 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: Nope. Racism shouldn't be automatically assumed or automatically used and asserted these days. I don't know who is teaching the black kids the wrong things and wrong way of doing things and instilling no values these days. I have a pretty strong hunch who the guilty party is these days and the primary motive as well. So, why do you and others on the Democratic side continue doing it on a regular basis on  behalf of those mainly associated with the black race these days?

One of the ideas bouncing around is how the conservatives are trying to whip up fear while it is the blacks who are being shot. What a black parent has to do is give the talk. If you don't call the officer sir, don't let your hands go out of sight, etc, maybe you get to live.

Racism and sexism are treating someone more poorly if they are a member of the minority. You are trying to turn it upside down, with your definition of racism and sexism involving all the people in power being white male, some people claiming privileged preference as compared to the general population. The audacity is that a black person tries to buy a house in a given neighberhood while the police shoot to kill. Yes, many conservatives attempt to continue an ethic of prejudice. Yes, a large dent is being made it today. Your attempts to defend racism, sexism and prejudice in a 4T are not at all seasonal.
(08-26-2020, 04:58 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 05:56 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 01:04 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: I don't expect the Democrats to let go of racism or racial bias because as I've said, they're still to valuable to them politically these days. We have to many Democrats sitting in Congress making a very good living (getting wealthier) off being black or a minority woman or whatever else these days.

Nope. Racism shouldn't be automatically assumed or automatically used and asserted these days. I don't know who is teaching the black kids the wrong things and wrong way of doing things and instilling no values these days. I have a pretty strong hunch who the guilty party is these days and the primary motive as well. So, why do you and others on the Democratic side continue doing it on a regular basis on  behalf of those mainly associated with the black race these days?

The police wantonly kill young black people because they are black, and because of your permissive gun laws that flood our cities with guns that police are afraid a young black person might pull out. That is the guilty party. You are part of the guilty party for keeping this system going with your votes and your attitudes.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
CNN reports that Over 1,000 students have tested positive for Covid-19 at University of Alabama since classes resumed.

Yes.  Perfectly safe to open the schools.

Not.
(08-26-2020, 05:46 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 04:58 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: Nope. Racism shouldn't be automatically assumed or automatically used and asserted these days. I don't know who is teaching the black kids the wrong things and wrong way of doing things and instilling no values these days. I have a pretty strong hunch who the guilty party is these days and the primary motive as well. So, why do you and others on the Democratic side continue doing it on a regular basis on  behalf of those mainly associated with the black race these days?

One of the ideas bouncing around is how the conservatives are trying to whip up fear while it is the blacks who are being shot.  What a black parent has to do is give the talk.  If you don't call the officer sir, don't let your hands go out of sight, etc, maybe you get to live.

It is contrary to nature, but if one is white one reaches for a wallet to show ID. If one is black then one lets the cop frisk one for a wallet and search through it for ID.  That is a double standard... 

Quote:Racism and sexism are treating someone more poorly if they are a member of the minority.  You are trying to turn it upside down, with your definition of racism and sexism involving all the people in power being white male, some people claiming privileged preference as compared to the general population.  The audacity is that a black person tries to buy a house in a given neighborhood while the police shoot to kill.  Yes, many conservatives attempt to continue an ethic of prejudice.  Yes, a large dent is being made it today.  Your attempts to defend racism, sexism and prejudice in a 4T are not at all seasonal.

Racism offers the visceral fear that a precious white daughter might have a daughter who looks like this:

[Image: th?id=OIP.iAXolu94VyLCiqJJXiUUEQHaLH&pid...=300&h=300]

(Jasmine Sanders, supermodel. African-American father and a German mother.

(08-30-2020, 11:34 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Racism offers the visceral fear that a precious white daughter might have a daughter who looks like this:

Somehow, I can't seem to summon up the proper amount of shock and horror.  Smile
I was thinking of something that scares most people...

[Image: 220px-Crotalus_cerastes_mesquite_springs_CA-2.jpg]

Quote:An estimated 7,000 to 8,000 people are bitten by venomous snakes in the United States each year, with about five deaths.[76] The most important factor in survival following a severe envenomation is the time elapsed between the bite and treatment. Most deaths occur between six and 48 hours after the bite. If antivenom treatment is given within two hours of the bite, the probability of recovery is greater than 99%.[77]

When a bite occurs, the amount of venom injected is under voluntary control by the snake. The amount released depends on a variety of factors, including the condition of the snake (e.g., having long, healthy fangs and a full venom sack) and its temperament (an angry, hungry snake that has just been stepped on vs. a satiated snake that was merely surprised by walking near it).[78] About 20% of bites result in no envenomation at all. A lack of burning pain and edema 38 in (1 cm) away from the fang marks after one hour suggests either no or minimal envenomation occurred. A lack of edema or erythema in the area of the bite after eight hours indicates a lack of envenomation for most rattlesnake bites.[79]

Common symptoms include swelling, severe pain, tingling, weakness, anxiety, nausea and vomitinghemorrhagingperspiration, and (rarely) heart failure.[78][80] Local pain following envenomation is often intense, increasing with the ensuing edema.[78] Children generally experience more severe symptoms because they receive a larger amount of venom per unit of body mass.[79]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattlesnake#Venom

Any person capable of spreading COVID-19 is at least as dangerous as a rattlesnake. Mask it or casket!

(08-30-2020, 01:33 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 11:34 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Racism offers the visceral fear that a precious white daughter might have a daughter who looks like this:

Somehow, I can't seem to summon up the proper amount of shock and horror.  Smile

In a hundred years, that may be the predominant 'look' of an American: mutts as we are.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(08-31-2020, 09:40 AM)David Horn Wrote:

In a hundred years, that may be the predominant 'look' of an American: mutts as we are.

It's even more complicated than that.  There has been a significant Mexican-American population in certain parts of the southwestern quadrant of the US annexed what would become California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and western Colorado. By law such people were treated as white even if they had large amounts of First Peoples' ancestry. About a century ago the US got large numbers of Mexican immigrants as a consequence of the chaos of the Mexican Revolution  that happened during the WWI boom in the American economy. Today, Mexicans and Mexican-Americans are everywhere and in larger numbers in places that had only small Mexican settlement (most of Arizona, California and Texas;  such cities as Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield, Reno, Las Vegas, Austin, Fort Worth, and Dallas did not exist in Mexican times; Denver has a large Mexican-American population even though it was never within Mexican territory. Even such cities within Mexico were little more than mission-and-garrison communities, including most California cities named after saints and San Antonio and El Paso, Texas. 

There has never been as much white antipathy toward Mexican-Americans in any part of America than against blacks. Intermarriage between Anglo whites and Mexican-Americans is often an interracial marriage if the Mexican-American spouse has significant ancestry among First Peoples. Note also that some Asian-American populations are doing quite well... 

...It is time for white Americans to grow up on 'race'. It matters far less than do character, creativity, rationality, work ethic, and opportunity. The people most proud to be white almost are as a rule people who have the fewest traits worthy of admiration or are simply crazy or deluded. Anyone proud to be white is proud of nothing.

But back to the germane -- we are over 180,000 dead in America alone. The Republican National Convention could prove itself a super-spreader event.

(09-01-2020, 12:10 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 09:40 AM)David Horn Wrote:

It's even more complicated than that.  There has been a significant Mexican-American population in certain parts of the southwestern quadrant of the US annexed what would become California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and western Colorado. By law such people were treated as white even if they had large amounts of First Peoples' ancestry. About a century ago the US got large numbers of Mexican immigrants as a consequence of the chaos of the Mexican Revolution  that happened during the WWI boom in the American economy. Today, Mexicans and Mexican-Americans are everywhere and in larger numbers in places that had only small Mexican settlement (most of Arizona, California and Texas;  such cities as Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield, Reno, Las Vegas, Austin, Fort Worth, and Dallas did not exist in Mexican times; Denver has a large Mexican-American population even though it was never within Mexican territory. Even such cities within Mexico were little more than mission-and-garrison communities, including most California cities named after saints and San Antonio and El Paso, Texas. 

There has never been as much white antipathy toward Mexican-Americans in any part of America than against blacks. Intermarriage between Anglo whites and Mexican-Americans is often an interracial marriage if the Mexican-American spouse has significant ancestry among First Peoples. Note also 
that some Asian-American populations are doing quite well... 

...It is time for white Americans to grow up on 'race'. It matters far less than do character, creativity, rationality, work ethic, and opportunity. The people most proud to be white almost are as a rule people who have the fewest traits worthy of admiration or are simply crazy or deluded. Anyone proud to be whit is proud of nothing.

That's right. And there was a program on PBS a while back by a geneticist who showed that the First Peoples of America that came from Siberia to Alaska about 12-13000 years ago had common ancestors to the white Caucasians that moved west into Europe. So we are not so different physically. Our cultures are different, but these change more rapidly with time as cross-fertilizations occur. And intermarriage between all the races will continue to increase. The host of this program said that sometime soon it will be too hard to trace the movements of different races and people over time, because we will be more blended.

The conspiracy theorists and trumpists are against "globalization," and are nationalists. America First. Germany uber alles. Brexit. Make our country great again. Keep the immigrants out. "They're bringing problems with them. They're bringing crime, they're bringing drugs, they're rapists, etc." No, we don't want our trade and national economy left at the mercy of multi-national corporations and their power, or to have such combines invalidate laws against pollution and unfair labor practices. Fair trade and some tariffs are needed. Local community and national control has its place. But we are a global society, and have been for over a hundred years. We can't hide behind walls from the rest of the world. Resistance to racial, ethnic and cultural mixing is futile. Tradition is worth preserving, but cultural purity creates stagnation rather than creativity and innovation. Our cultural heritage is the whole world. We don't want the USA to be the world policeman and impose our greedy corporate power or our politics on the world by force, or start preventive wars of choice. But we must be multi-lateralists and play our part in the world community, honor and not break our agreements as Trump is doing, support the United Nations and world law and order, and help support democracy, freedom and justice where we can. 

And in the case of Iraq: we broke it; we own it. We need to stay engaged there in our former recent colony more than Trump is doing, as long as they want us to be there.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
OK... it may be my opinion... but she seems to have the best features of both races, at least in appearance.

Bigots do not handle ambiguity well, which explains why they can't even accept dilution of a once-uniformly-oppressed minority (and poor blacks are still oppressed) as a solution to political and economic polarization dangerous to a nation as a whole. Her lips establish that her off-white skin color comes from Africans, and not from South or Southeast Asians or American First Peoples.

I show her, but I don't show how she talks, let alone her cultural values. Her mother is German, and there is certain music that although having an appeal across time and place has its origin in the German-speaking world. For me, musical taste would be something important to share, as much of my cultural identity is with classical music.

(OK... she is nearly forty years younger than I am, so she is obviously off limits for that reason alone. Who do you think I am -- Donald Trump?)

The AP is reporting that the US health agencies are getting ready to release a vaccine just before the election.  There is conjecture that this is a political decision, that Trump's political people so much want a miracle to happen, for the bug to just go away, that they are going to override the medical people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nevada governor limits malaria drugs for coronavirus patients girlmonday 0 813 03-06-2021, 04:00 AM
Last Post: girlmonday
  Coronavirus shows government is a problem, not the solution pmc 7 2,425 03-01-2021, 02:34 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T sbarrera 25 8,640 03-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew