Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compare/contrast American Presidential elections
(03-22-2017, 05:59 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
Odin Wrote:If you see Donald Trump as in any way better than Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, or even Dubya, then you are ideologically blinded. Should there be a libertarian utopia emerging, then such will be the work of a Boomer. Note that I consider libertarianism utopian.

I too see libertarianism as ultimately utopian.  Mostly because humans have proved themselves incapable of Not concentrating power.  That said, however, Dubya is an unmitigated disaster.  Bill Clinton is the very same boomer that implemented most of the disastrous trade and immigration policy--though the Immigration Act of 1965 clearly doesn't help.   Next time I'm in Boston I plan on urinating on Teddy Kennedy's grave.  As for Obama, I think he was pre-seasonal.  When everyone voted for him in 08 they expected Tryrone from down the block and instead we got Steve Urkle.

Most libertarians to be of the minarchist variety and would fit in very nicely with most of the Founding Fathers and Jefferson in particular.  In this respect they were realists and Jefferson and the rest of the Anti-Federalists were predicting that the Constitution would be a failure because eventually the government would ignore or interpret away the written constitution.  Any objective observer would have to admit that this in fact did happen.

There are relatively few anarcho-captialists in the world and even they would be happy to have a federal government living within the limits of the constitution instead of leviathan.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises

Messages In This Thread
RE: Compare/contrast American Presidential elections - by Galen - 03-24-2017, 02:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Triumph of Stupidity in American Politics pbrower2a 29 20,457 09-07-2021, 02:50 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a