Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compare/contrast American Presidential elections
(10-26-2020, 09:18 PM)Marypoza Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 04:00 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 02:41 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Fewer than 50 days may remain before I get to compare the 2020 election to others. Biden does appeal to much the same people who voted for Obama, so unless he makes headway among people who voted for Romney in 2012, I already expect the Biden 2020 map to fit something closer to the Eisenhower-Obama overlay than anything else.

On the appeal issue, don't forget that evaluation systems are different for different people.  Yes, the two are similar on policy, but far from alike on the coolness factor.  The people who found Obama cool may not be finding anything in Biden to like ... or dislike.  He's just old and boring to them --  unlike Bernie.

-- he's senile af

Still functioning and speaking well, though. I think Bernie was better as far as vitality coming through, but he had the unfortunate habit of getting stuck on statements that he repeats too often, and an unwillingness to drop his self-identified label that is unpopular. So people voted for the guy they thought could beat Trump. 

Obama is more cool. But Biden may actually win by a higher margin. That is due largely to who is on the other ticket, who has proved himself a failure. Trump won't be able to repeat his own performance art well enough to cover that up, this time. His act is getting old, and so is he. The dueling convention speeches were not as well known as they should be, but Biden beat Trump by a wide margin in that contest.

Given the lower hurdle he has to beat of defeating a failed president, which Obama never had to do, he doesn't have to be as cool and young as Obama. And Biden has attractive qualities too, despite his approaching senility. He is likable and empathetic, and he doesn't get stuck in speaking ruts like Bernie does.

Biden needs to continue as president and live out at least one term, and maybe even run for re-election. Either that, or another candidate needs to challenge Kamala Harris and be the nominee in 2024. Kamala Harris cannot win an election for president, and probably is never destined to be president. Kamala and the new Barrett Kangeroo Court are the two chief obstacles to any progress in the 2020s. The Democrats need to be aware of this and take appropriate action.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Compare/contrast American Presidential elections - by Eric the Green - 10-27-2020, 09:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Triumph of Stupidity in American Politics pbrower2a 29 20,491 09-07-2021, 02:50 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a