Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compare/contrast American Presidential elections
(10-29-2020, 12:21 AM)jleagans Wrote: Texas is going blue and is the future of the Democratic party.  When it goes blue its an earthquake, Democrat party officially becomes the "keep Texas blue party" and will move heaven and earth to do it.

And when Texas goes blue, the Republican party will IMMEDIATELY become the party of Electoral College abolition.  

If you doubt me, pull up the Texas election results in 2012 and 2016 and take a good long look.

Texas has been going Blue for decades, except it never does. The only difference today is urbanization, which will push Texas above California in population at some point. I just can't see it now, though I wish I did.

jleagans Wrote:To the topic, the degree of overlap between this era and the gilded age I just cant get out of my head.  There are 1896 comparisons, Roosevelt bull moose comparisons, pandemic comparisons, yellow journalism comparisons....in the end I think this is the 1896 election.  Not an often thought of election (though KARL ROVE wrote an amazing book on it explaining why history is remembering its importance wrong), but politics post-Lincoln was totally frozen and Mckinley in 1896 broke the frozen/polarized nature and basically "won" American politics until FDR.

There is movement ... finally! I'm not sure 2020 parallels any previous election, because Trump is a oner. But having a total miscreant in office has defined the terms in bold colors. Trump will have followers in the future, just as he does today. I can't say that's true for Biden, or any Democrat other than Bernie, perhaps.

What will tell the tale, is how Trump takes defeat, if he even does. In FDR's time, there was the Business Coup. If failed miserably because of one man: Smedley Butler. Who can play that role today, if the coup comes around again? If there is an attempt, will it be Shay's Rebellion 2020? The Constitution is broken. There is no natural (i.e. legal) fix that's possible, so is it guns in the street again?
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Compare/contrast American Presidential elections - by David Horn - 10-31-2020, 08:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Triumph of Stupidity in American Politics pbrower2a 29 20,488 09-07-2021, 02:50 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a