Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this 4T seem a little 2T-ish to anyone else?
(03-12-2022, 04:01 PM)linus Wrote: I think this 4t (and maybe others too) is like the last 2t turned inside out, with the Nixon-Reagan majority collision in a slow death spiral, much as the New Deal majority coalition declined and fell in the late 1960s and 70s.

What are the hallmarks of a majority coalition in its latter days? A greater concern for speaking its truths (ie the "free speech" movement of today's GOP, and its preoccupation with "political correctness") than effectively governing, and addressing the problems of the day (back in the day it was inflation, crime, unemployment, and national security - today it is inequality, the high cost of health care, housing, and higher education, as well as now [and again] Russia, only this time with the GOP divided between Putin equivocators and extreme hawks). The rise of extremist groups, cults, and conspiracy theories that threaten civil society (back in the day it was the rise of the revolutionary left, following the Weatherman takeover of SDS, and the string of acronymical radical groups - the BLA, SLA, FALN - et al, and now it's the rise of far right groups, effectively merging with the GOP under Trump and now after him; then of course QAnon and all that toxic nonsense, some offshoots of which have dangerous cult-like qualities).

Provided we all don't end up vaporized in a third world war, I continue to think that despite whatever setbacks, here and abroad, the center-left will prevail and this time will reflect very, very poorly on the American right - with lasting consequences politically, and reputationally.

I have my doubts about short-term success, since we have not made any progress to speak about since the 4T began in 2008.  If the 4T runs for 20 years (unusually long for an activist turning), the amount of change needed to set a new paradigm to tear apart in the following swing-right better start soon ... and big.

It may be interesting to note that Ezra Kline wrote a column for the NY Times that noted the problem as liberal in origin, when liberal activists worked hard to hobble all levels of government that did more harm than good at the time.  Now, the tools they created are used to stop all progress in its tracks.  Now that's schadenfreude if I ever saw it.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does this 4T seem a little 2T-ish to anyone else? - by David Horn - 03-13-2022, 09:56 AM