Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who else would like politics to be humdrum?
(02-03-2022, 04:30 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Donald Trump has shown the seams of our system. In the old days those who knew of those seams recognized the danger of exploiting those seams even if such was temporarily advantageous because finding shady way to do good would encourage someone else to find such a shady way for doing bad. We may need to rewrite much of the Constitution just to close those seams. I have long dreaded the prospect of another Constitutional Convention because such might enshrine special-interest policies that we might regret in a short time, or even allow one of the Parties to declare itself the "Leading Force in American politics", which is how Soviet constitutions enshrined the Communist Party.

From what I've gleaned so far of your other posts, you seem like someone I would hold some pretty different views on, but I share your sentiments here wholeheartedly. When politics is "humdrum", people are free to just be....left the ___ alone and focus on their own lives, their own meaning and their own mission. Unfortunately, times us crisis force everyone to think about politics more than is ideal.

In spite of our differences, we appear to have a shared sense that checks and balances are one of the most (if not the most) important aspects of a functioning free society. When a special interest group can swoop in and change everything by force, that's just about the worse possible scenario for anyone, left or right, who holds basically liberal views on things.
ammosexual
reluctant millennial

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who else would like politics to be humdrum? - by JasonBlack - 02-10-2022, 12:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Authoritarianism and American politics pbrower2a 75 73,757 01-13-2022, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  SJW's, Identity politics, Alt-Left and Alt-Right Teejay 37 26,357 10-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Last Post: David Horn