The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternate Name for Nomad/Reactive Generations
Imo, neither "nomad", nor "reactive" really characterize this generational archetype well. Instead, I would posit "Survivalist Generation" as a more fitting moniker for the following reasons 
1) Compared to millennials and boomers, I would say that Gen X is actually a less reactive generation as a whole. Boomers are more prone to moralistic crusading, and millennials to collective protesting and cancelation, but either way, both exhibit a sense of outrage over many political matters that leave Gen X thinking "What were expecting? A Disney movie? Lmao! Welcome to the real world kiddo. Fasten your seatbelts..."
2) Neither "reactive" nor "nomad" really characterize a sense of tough mindedness. 
3) Nomad Gens tend to be the black sheep (also a potential name for them tbh) in most of the generational constellations they live through. Survivalist doesn't just imply staying alive, it implies having the fight/push against something to do so. 
4) The basic archetypal roles that Nomad Gens tend to play include capitalists (John D Rockafeller, Elon Musk), generals (George Washington, Dwight D. Eisenhower) crimelords/pirates (Lucky Luciano, Blackbeard, Viktor "Lord of War" Bout), and various protective parental figures. Every one of these has a strong "survivalist" slant. 
5) Nomad Gens are the most cynical generations within the saeculum  and the most likely to believe that they are responsible for their own survival rather than relying on a social system to do so.

PS: I'm a millennial and y'all are my favorite generation. I realize that nothing quite says Gen X like...not speaking up to defend Gen X, but I gotchu fam.

Messages In This Thread
Alternate Name for Nomad/Reactive Generations - by JasonBlack - 02-10-2022, 12:15 AM