Poll: Which of the following two generation is more selfish?
Silent
Boom
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is more selfish, Silent or Boom?
(10-15-2016, 11:02 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(10-15-2016, 08:42 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Gen X, clearly.

Seriously, this is not the kind of discussion subject that promotes understanding among generations.

But when I try to tell you How to understand xer culture you ignore that and prefer to bash it. So you certainly are not helping with your prejudice against that generation.

Sounds about right. LOTS (not all) of boomers project their shadows onto Xers. A true sign of selfishness. Tara, I wouldn't hold your breath on hoping a boomer will have any interest in understanding Xer culture. Mostly they make it out to be something it isn't & attack that. This strawman tactic isn't intentional, it is born of hubris and irrational exuberance that comes from the privilege of living in a boom... I have started thinking of it in a similar fashion as white privilege: hard to see when it has worked to your advantage & shrouded in a cloud of denial that protects an identity wrapped around "hard work", "paying taxes", "I earned it" and the like. It scares the hell out of them to have history write a different view of them. Who can blame them? When you have always lived in a boom, you think it is because of your abilities, not your circumstances. Thus the hubris and confusion about why the boom is over. But don't expect compassion from them, because as you will hear from them over and again, "everyone generation has its challenges". The good news is that eventually, the reality will set in that there is more to life than selfishness masquerading as "individualism" when pain, sickness and old age will direct boomer attention to what is truly most important to them: the relationships that they have neglected... Should their humbleness overtake their pride. And it should.

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silent of the Week Thread sbarrera 24 14,953 06-22-2020, 05:26 PM
Last Post: sbarrera
  Who is more religious? The Silent Generation or the Boomer Generation? AspieMillennial 9 5,586 01-18-2020, 09:08 AM
Last Post: AspieMillennial
  Silent Generation Sub Forum sbarrera 8 4,226 08-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  A personal anecdote about the Silent generation sbarrera 2 2,497 12-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  Fading Silent GeekyCynic 5 6,024 07-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Warren Dew
  The Silent Generation and comedy pbrower2a 3 4,656 04-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green