Poll: Which of the following two generation is more selfish?
Silent
Boom
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is more selfish, Silent or Boom?
The worst Idealists of which I have ever heard (unless you are talking of extremists like Nazi war criminal Wilhelm Frick or an Old Bolshevik like Vladimir Lenin or Lev Trotsky, a terrorist, or an outright criminal who could be in any generation like Ted Bundy) were the loud-mouth defenders of the slave system in the old South -- the exploiters and abusers of slaves who insisted that they be seen as benefactors to 'their' )in a strictly-possessive sense) people. An exploiter and abuser who sees himself as a benefactor? That's someone who thinks his evil is a great and needful boon to Humanity as a whole.

OK, I will give you the name of a criminal -- Phillip Gallardo, kidnapper and sexual predator, who kidnapped an 11-year-old girl whom he eventually raped and impregnated, and economically exploited. He now has a 431-to-life term to serve in the California penal system. He can roast in Hell, so far as I am concerned. In the now-defunct generational Forum I called attention to his arrest, conviction, and sentencing.

Aside from great creative people (Whitman, Schubert, Matisse, T. Mann, Sibelius, Spielberg) and philosophers who can redefine or enrich a culture the greatest Idealists are those who can give purpose and meaning to a national struggle -- Samuel Adams, d'Israeli, Lincoln, Juarez, Herzl, Sun Yat-Sen, Churchill, Gandhi, Mannerheim, FDR, and Adenauer, the latter doing much to restore the credibility of a nation that had gone extremely bad.

Donald Trump has nothing relevant in common with any prior figure of Idealist greatness.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is more selfish, Silent or Boom? - by pbrower2a - 09-14-2017, 05:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silent of the Week Thread sbarrera 24 14,846 06-22-2020, 05:26 PM
Last Post: sbarrera
  Who is more religious? The Silent Generation or the Boomer Generation? AspieMillennial 9 5,545 01-18-2020, 09:08 AM
Last Post: AspieMillennial
  Silent Generation Sub Forum sbarrera 8 4,219 08-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  A personal anecdote about the Silent generation sbarrera 2 2,494 12-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  Fading Silent GeekyCynic 5 6,014 07-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Warren Dew
  The Silent Generation and comedy pbrower2a 3 4,642 04-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green