Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
most Americans think too many people are easily offended
Eric The Green Wrote:Regressive liberal and regressive leftist seems like different terms. A liberal is more moderately on the left than a leftist.

Eh, I'm not interested in either term above.  The one I am interested in is the "Social Justice Warrior" type. Folks of this specific type have the same attributes as the "regressive leftist".  A "liberal" or plain "leftist" aren't in the same set as said SJW's.

Quote:Of course the sentiments expressed in my favorite rock song are familiar to me; how the new boss can become like the old boss. The despotism of liberty; the dictatorship of the proletariat; well-known phenomenon in history.

Yes, pretty much.

Quote:Taramarie is an authoritarian, because she feels entitled to determine for everyone who hurts whose feelings, and who is entitled to take offense over what.

I'll take a pass here. I have no dog in that fight.

Quote:5. Free speech must come with no caveat. I agree. Although I tend to think there is such a thing as a hate crime.

If the definition of "hate crime" applies to any subset of humans, sure.

Quote:4. I am more "regressive" in his terms, which he exaggerates. His views on this item are typically conservative, ethno-centric, and deceptive. This is Clarence Thomas nonsense. I don't want any "ethnic cleansing" against my own race and gender, of course. That is just his exaggerated view of affirmative action. To deny that there are groups that have been oppressed and still need to have opportunities opened up, is just a right-wing point of view. A preview of his #1.

Uh, when does affirmative action end?  Can it be expanded with new technology like DNA testing? Big Grin

Quote:3. I don't engage in this one too much, although kinser might think that I do. But he is himself a good example of #3.

I have no dog in this fight either.

Quote:2. No, not me; regulations yes; but no bans unless by consensus.

The 1st amendment shouldn't be abridged unless the expression thereof causes some sort of harm.  The obvious examples of shouting fire in a crowded spot, incitement to riot, slander, etc. are obvious.  Plain ad-homs shouldn't be banned, unless like this place due to group acceptance as a requisite to being here.  Stuff like "triggers" is just plain silly. Perhaps a collection should be taken for Linus blankets and binkies is warranted?

Quote:1. He exaggerates liberal views into a straw man in order to knock them. On the whole, yes, I am "regressive" in his terms, though again, not to the degree that he would label me as. On the whole, he is wrong on #1, and he's just another conservative denouncing liberal positions, not an "intellectual" and certainly not a liberal denouncing "regressive" liberal positions. No, he is the regressive. SJWs would certainly have much grounds for calling him a racist. Such labels are problematic. But "Multi-culturalism is ruining The West?" That is a truly regressive idea, because there ain't no "West" anymore, and it needs to go away anyway as a separate identity. We are one people on one planet, and need to learn from all "races," peoples and traditions and not try to build walls to block out the "reality" flooding in all around us. That's "reality." This guy is probably voting for Donald Trump. No "rational intellectual" he Smile

What happens when "race" becomes a mish/mash?  I think both David Duke and Rev. Sharpton need to take a DNA test and make the results public, man. Cool  Maybe I'll get lucky and the results for one or both will make 'em shut up.
---Value Added Cool

Messages In This Thread
RE: most Americans think too many people are easily offended - by Ragnarök_62 - 08-05-2016, 12:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Media manipulation targeting one ethnic community (Cuban-Americans in South Florida pbrower2a 0 917 10-24-2021, 09:17 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Those people in the upper midwest Eric the Green 44 25,863 12-10-2016, 06:21 PM
  Most Americans say children are better off with a parent at home Dan '82 14 10,198 10-19-2016, 03:41 PM