Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
most Americans think too many people are easily offended
(08-16-2016, 04:10 AM)taramarie Wrote:
Rags Wrote:Geez, what a fucking waste of time and money.  OK, anyone who majors in Oppression Studies deserves a huge student loan boat anchor and a minimum wage job for life. Tongue   Oh, and may all "special snowflakes" land in Hel and so their tender hearts melt in the heat blast.

What is collegiate life coming to?  It sure ain't about getting smart or broadening horizons anymore. 

Here's to you Oregon State:
[Image: 20160805_safe.jpg]

SJW's  : Phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Tongue Tongue Tongue

Tara Wrote:I see no problem in this as long as it is balanced in inclusion etc. Seems to me the whiners are the insensitive folk who are whining because they are the crybabies. Is it not an irony.....someone is always crying about something. Whether it is the said "crybabies" or those taking the time out of their lives to draw a picture whining about the whiners.

That's an interesting take. It is of course as valid as a POV that such illustrations are meant to mock something others of us find utter ridiculous. I think SJW's are ridiculous because it seems to me they are invading my thought space with assorted "concerns" that are overblown at times. In the US they waste their time yelling at others who don't ascribe to their narrow interests.  I think if you go back far enough, almost anyone can find something some other group said/did about/to whatever group(s) those anyone's belong to.

Quote:At least the "Crybabies" are addressing what needs addressing....although i think they could be more balanced about what needs to be addressed as well as they should realize also that the more they go on the more push back they will get.

I do think their are more logical "groupings" in some cases though.  I think economic class would be one of those. Casting concerns based on economic class rather than ethnic type is more functional due to the direct correlation between lower classes and assorted minorities.  Economic class of course is something fat cats here would prefer to keep buried because any question about the lot of lower classes in the face of neo-liberalism/gobalization shows how awful those economic memes really are. The other problem of using what I think are divisive groupings is that , let's say about slavery, is that there are lots of folks who have no family history of being a part of that.  There is also the butt in other folks' business angle. I know I'd question having to spend $ on tuition to take "sensitivity, Oppression Studies, whatever" because my family didn't do that stuff and being mixed race myself makes it just weird. Likewise, I don't expect everyone to pander to let's say Native American stuff. Yes, bad stuff happened, but it isn't something I dwell on.  I also don't get worked over sports Teams named Red Skins, Braves, etc.

Quote: So teaching the young is a good approach.

It's OK to have generic stuff like "just because someone is different, doesn't make them inferior or scary" sort of thing.

Quote: Hey the religious warp minds that way too!

No argument here. Fundamentalists of all stripes, not just Christian ones are likewise narrow minded and wish to foist their version on others even if others do not want it. They also want to rule over others' lives and though patterns , when they should butt the fuck out. Believe me, here in Bible Belt, I see lots of this nonsense.  I really don't think I should have to follow them on what I choose to put in my body.  If I want to use weed, I should be able to. I do use nicotine and caffeine and since I use those substances in a manner that does not harm others' health, I demand a right to use those substances and others like THC even if it hurts others feelings or whatever.

Quote:p.s. I feel this way due to the fact we were already being taught all of this without needing a course on this. That is why we are ahead in some respects culturally compared to America.

Yes, that could be cultural or something. I'm not hip to what's going down in NZ. Some stuff like race moves slowly due to inter marriage, especially wrt Hispanics. I think over time the Hispanic thing will sort out. Other stuff like LGBT is more problematic. Of course wrt LGBT, the question is also easy:  How the fuck does someone elses' partner preference interfere with your well being?  I think in the vast majority of cases, it doesn't do a damn thing. That means that folks can partner with others in any way that doesn't involve someone who is vulnerable, say kids.

Quote:We could improve though on cannabis (govt fault as the public loves cannabis.....nz is one of the top countries in the world that uses it)

I share the pain here.  The DEA here just nixed weed.  That agency is clueless wrt science to say the least. Politics is used instead of rational science on a fucking plant.

Quote: and we could improve on pollution.

Yeah, like planting hemp [low THC] weed plants for fiber instead of cotton.  However, getting assorted government agencies/people to see that is another question.

Quote:Given how i was raised it scares me to see how insensitive America is becoming. I hope it does not spread. Not giving a fuck about others is if anything a lack of civic attitude.

Again, it goes back to the fact, as a culture, Americans don't like being told what to do. That is why prohibition crashed. Banning this or that just creates black markets.

Quote: We should care about others. How awful the world would be if we did not.

I think for the US, the better thing is to point out who is butting into others' business and work to stop that. That also goes to wars of choice. Crusades to make other nation states is quite the arrogant attitude wrt foreign policy.  We've been doing that and it's a Neocon project.  That is why I think Neocons are just evil. It is not our place to stand in judgment of how other nations are run. Mind you , that does not preclude helping other nation states when it comes to natural disasters or some sort of famine. With that in mind, using $ wasted on wars of choice on rebuilding our 3rd world infrastructure needs to be a major priority.

Quote: If we didn't here our SVA would not exist.

I don't know what a SVA is.

Quote: Kiwi millies pulling together, helping others in need. Saving the lives of many. Helping each other. We need to care. If we don't....I am scared of that future. If that makes me a SJW for caring about others so be it. I am proud to actually care.

Caring isn't the issue.  SJW's are those who care to the point of conflating it to the point they condemn all who do not care about their pet concern. Different people have different concerns and how they prioritize them.  I care about say dogs, but I don't condemn others who care about cats.
---Value Added Cool

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Media manipulation targeting one ethnic community (Cuban-Americans in South Florida pbrower2a 0 917 10-24-2021, 09:17 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Those people in the upper midwest Eric the Green 44 25,877 12-10-2016, 06:21 PM
  Most Americans say children are better off with a parent at home Dan '82 14 10,209 10-19-2016, 03:41 PM