Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this Crisis echo the Glorious Revolutuon?
(02-19-2019, 11:35 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 07:22 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 03:37 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: However, all cultures and their peoples have their right to exist in peace as long as they don't break the laws, which are based on moral values. I dissent from any idea that such moral values are relative to time, evolution or culture. Their articulation in specific lists and rules may change, but not their essence.

But I don't think that such aesthetic or moral relativism is a prominent feature of the Left in politics. So I'm not sure what you mean.

I don't like the fact that Leftists refuse to condemn Islam, even if they ostensibly stand for atheism and rationalism.

No religion of any stripe is evil in and of itself.  It's only evil when practiced by evil people.  Of course, religion is the prefect foil for the larcenous and power hungry.  It's its own justification.

Bill the Piper Wrote:
Eric the Green Wrote:I don't think you advocate culture-war religious-right efforts, but I agree with the Left of course on such issues as gay rights and government-sponsored religion in public places. Abortion is an issue that can be compromised, but that doesn't seem to be possible just now.

I could just say that I'd like to see the effects of sexual revolution reversed to some degree. The entertainment industry in particular needs to be purged. To some extent, reversing the sexual revolution requires the dominant ethos of individualism (which regards selfish pursuit of happiness as the goal of life) to die off, and new ethos of communitarianism to replace it. Parents staying together for their child's sake, even if they no longer get the thrills in bed. Like it was with the GIs and previous generations.

I have to agree with much of this.  The sexual revolution had far too many excesses to remain dominant in a less hyper-individualist society.  Communalism is returning and some degree of puritanical ethos will return with it.

But the most recent sexual revolution had its beginnings in a communal setting. It was the hippie communes that first promoted the "free love" ethic.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does this Crisis echo the Glorious Revolutuon? - by beechnut79 - 11-04-2021, 07:39 PM