Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is The Current American Border Dispute A Catalyst Event?
(06-21-2018, 12:01 PM)TheNomad Wrote: With respect, please do not spend 90% of your reply with correcting the OP and discoursing based on your political philosophy.  It is off-topic and does not serve the intended purpose of the thread and dare I say approaching SPAM.  Please truncate your replies to my posts accordingly.  Thanks for your cooperation.  Now that I have addressed the 90% of your reply, the other 10% is basically the same as the other 90% except your prefaced it with the original question from the OP as if you were about to address the OP.  I don't want to block anyone but this is unproductive and I will if the behavior is not modified.  Thanks again.

The physical analogue that I use  is that bad behavior in the 3T is to storing oily rags -- things that eventually catch fire in spontaneous combustion.  There need be no spark.  Bad 3T behavior includes bad business, mindless mass culture, inequity in public services, neglect of vulnerable people, racist and classist ideologies... People who do such things and get calamitous results often are told after the fact "What were you thinking?"

The problem was that they weren't thinking. I often see a financial panic leading into the Crisis, a panic that follows an investment bubble that devours capital that might have been used differently. I guess that many people think that even if they are investing in $@!+ they believe that they can sell before people start to realize that the investment is $#!+. Most people find excuses (they will pay taxes that reduce their gain) for not getting out when the exit is open. Those excuses keep them in the investment too long. Then comes the Panic of 1857, the Great Stock Market Crash of 1929, or the  real-estate meltdown of 2008. These come about a lifetime apart, which fits the theory if not proving it. The most infamous bubbles lead to the biggest crashes, destroy people's complacent confidence in the economy, and destabilize the political reality.

A threadmaster does remove spammers from the forum, and he seems not to find me troublesome.  The general understanding is that SPAM is either irrelevant stuff (let us say links to sport scores, sport being not particularly relevant to this forum) or attempts to link to commercial entities (as in "Find a good lawyer in Kansas City" or "Get high-quality roller-bearings in India". I am one of the fastest to seek that spammers be excised from this forum.

If there is a blatant error, then we all have the right to correct it. Yes, some of us have read the theory and have our own interpretations. Howe and Strauss have missed things -- or not recognized them at the time.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is The Current American Border Dispute A Catalyst Event? - by pbrower2a - 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The modern credo of the American worker sbarrera 1 1,993 08-30-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: David Horn
  What belongs exclusively to the current Fourth Turning? sbarrera 10 5,602 07-11-2018, 10:40 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  death rates of white middle class American males Eric the Green 76 57,208 04-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Warren Dew