Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for literature. Bravo!
(10-16-2016, 02:48 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(10-16-2016, 02:39 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(10-16-2016, 02:21 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(10-16-2016, 02:04 PM)gabrielle Wrote: So you see, Eric, sometimes the lyrics are more important than the music.

Nice one. But the sound for some music he just does not understand as to why it sounds the way that it does. He refuses to understand. You do not have to like a certain type of music to understand why it is the way that it is. That seems to be his real misunderstanding.

Whenever I point out the great lyrics in a song he doesn't like (like for example the song I am about to post on the other thread), he says the music is more important than the lyrics.  I don't think that is always the case.  Bob Dylan's lyrics were brilliant, and the music was secondary.  His singing voice is not conventionally beautiful.  

But I like Bob Dylan's music and lyrics, and that of the Beastie Boys as well.

Ah I see. I agree with you. Some artists are just way more skilled at writing than singing or vise versa. That should be plainly obvious. You cannot dismiss a song entirely just because the music is according to Eric more important. Lyrics give meaning to a song as much as the emotion given from the music. So they are equally as important for a song that does have lyrics. I think both deserve to be analyzed for what they are separately and as one and understood for what they (music and lyrics) are trying to convey.
On a personal note I could not name one song by Bob. The males of my generation were obsessed with the Beastie Boys when I was a teenager. Us girls liked bsb more lol.

He was one of my favorites as a teenager.  

Dylan was the foremost folk singer of his generation:

Then he pissed off all his folk fans by going electric.  And pop music was revolutionized by this fusion of folk and rock:

Messages In This Thread